Avantgarde Model Kits 1/48 MiG-25 Foxbat

Radleigh

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Yes, I'll play...

Suggested MiG-25 features for the AMK kits...

* Cast metal undercarriage legs, pitots, and alcohol injecting trees for the inlets
* Cast spigots, fitted to the rear fuselage, onto which the stabilators are attached
* One piece windshield and hood option, not just separate parts, with the sealant and/or fibreglass reinforcing strips supplied as decals
* Slide moulded ends for the giant belly fuel tank to minimise longitudinal seams. 
* Optional noses to help depict the RBT/RBV photo/Elint versions, RBK/RBF Elint versions and RBS/RBSh SLAR versions - or an RBT/RBV boxing and RBK/RBF + RBS/RBSh joint boxing for two reconnaissance editions.

Tony 

Interesting ideas but the only thing with metal undercarriage legs is they're a nightmare to stick.  I'd prefer injection plastic legs with the option of a non rusting metal rod that could be inserted for strength.

Here's some of my ideas ..........

All wing/navigation/landing lights in clear plastic

Fine but clearly defined window frames (I hate window frames that are too vague)

Well placed sprue attachments.   Some of the sprue attachments on the Kittyhawk kit were quite bad as they were quite large and left a nasty scar on the plastic.   There was also an annoying little plastic bauble on the end of the main pitot tube.    I'd rather parts like that have the sprue attachment on the least intrusive part of the plastic even the surface that is to be glued.

Weighted plastic tyres (please no rubber or vinyl ones)

Clear instrument panel.   Even pre printed with dials on the rear so all we have to do is mask the front clear circles off and paint the instrument panel. 

A non rustable nose weight (one of the few good things about the Kittyhawk kit).   Nothing more annoying than trying to find the correct weight so the aircraft isn't a tail sitter.  

Pilot figure.   I think that would be a nice touch too.

Edited by SeaVenom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Interesting ideas but the only thing with metal undercarriage legs is they're a nightmare to stick.  I'd prefer injection plastic legs with the option of a non rusting metal rod that could be inserted for strength.

MiG-25 has cantilever MLG legs and it is a big airframe so *really* needs cast metal legs IMHO, though thick steel rods would work - although such might be "plagiarising" Kitty Hawk a tad. 

Weighted plastic tyres (please no rubber or vinyl ones)

Please, round wheels as an option. Most recent fighter jets such as the Foxbat use high pressure tyres with very strong sidewalls and the "flattening" tends to be overdone. The main thing to retain is *separate* hubs and tyres whenever possible, for a neater paint finish.

I am so looking forward to these Foxbats. 

Tony

Edited by tony.t
Further reflection before any new posts

12 hours ago, tony.t said:

MiG-25 has cantilever MLG legs and it is a big airframe so *really* needs cast metal legs IMHO, though thick steel rods would work - although such might be "plagiarising" Kitty Hawk a tad. 

Please, round wheels as an option. Most recent fighter jets such as the Foxbat use high pressure tyres with very strong sidewalls and the "flattening" tends to be overdone. The main thing to retain is *separate* hubs and tyres whenever possible, for a neater paint finish.

I am so looking forward to these Foxbats. 

Tony

That wouldn't be plagiarising as far as I know as it's not someone's creative work etc being stolen.  As for the tyres well if they're not supposed to be flattened then obviously that would be the route to go.   Whatever's accurate!

16 hours ago, do335b6 said:

The Kitty hawk Legs are a nightmare to work with, anything else would be better

Maybe I've forgotten but I don't remember the KH legs being a nightmare at all.   The main problem I found was sticking the front intakes and foreward fuselage to the rear because of bad fit and misalighnment.

• 3 months later...

A Belenko boxing seems a natural marketing opportunity given that his flight to Japan was undoubtedly the most historically important for the Mig-25, and the one which firmly put it into the public consciousness of the free world. Hardly any of the general public knew about it before that point.

39 minutes ago, Tali said:

...Marketing... but for what markets?

I doubt that Russian modelers will choose Belenko for there built...

I doubt AMK's business case was built only upon Russian modelers's tastes...

• Like 1

I WILL build Belenko's plane as it is so Iconic to my mind.

Questionable boxings would be a SU-15 Flagon as Osipovich's plane (Korean Air 1983).  Especially as given the command structure it wasn't 'his fault'.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, At Sea said:

I WILL build Belenko's plane as it is so Iconic to my mind.

Questionable boxings would be a SU-15 Flagon as Osipovich's plane (Korean Air 1983).  Especially as given the command structure it wasn't 'his fault'.

I'd just love an accurate Su-15, preferably in 1/32 but 1/48 will more than suffice. 

An AMK Foxbat interceptor to the standards of their Foxhound will be an absolute treat. Is this still going ahead on the heels of the Tomcats? 

Tony

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, hopkp said:

I would.....

Count me in please!! In its own peculiar way, Lt Belenko's aircraft was a historically significant one!

Allan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It would take some work.  The basic geometry is actually surprisingly similar - intakes designed for the KH kit will fit ICM's with minimal tweaking - but the breakdown will be tough to deal with.  You'll have to essentially scratchbuild the front half of the trunk, since XMM have you integrate ICM's kit parts; that area is just a big hole in the KH kit, so you'd need to bridge the gap between the resin trunk and kit intake.

There is another, though.  (apparently.  hopefully.  eventually.)

Also: this might have been better posted in the ICM thread. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
11 minutes ago, David2703 said:

Any news on this? Did it get cancelled when ICM came out with an OK kit? 

Well, I haven't seen much from AMK since their F-14D.

They were supposed to release a Starfighter with a one-piece fuselage but...

Two ICM Foxbats here, and counting. Availability might be an issue but these are great kits, as are the XMM resin inlets bought a few years back. 

Not sure AMK is doing anything than recovering Tomcat sales. They were probably unwise tackling an American icon.

Tony 

• Like 1