Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW.9 Build

After slogging away at an AML Fiat G.50 I opted fro a simple and almost OOB build by joining in a Fast Jets Group Build on HyperScale's Airfix kits forum (Fast jets and a Javelin seems a bit like an oxymoron, but never mind!). I thought I might as well share progress over here on Britmodeller too.

I've made some small progress dealing with seams and blemishes etc. I've decided to document these steps to identify in advance for others what I found to be needed with building this kit. I apologise if I'm recording the blindingly obvious.

One other thing, the silver plastic makes things harder because you are always left with a visible mark wherever a blemish is removed, this sometimes makes it hard to gauge progress (on the other hand it leaves a record of removed raised detail).

P1100148_zpspwxyix4q.jpg

P1100147_zpsyajfxd9s.jpg

P1100146_zpscz58keag.jpg

P1100142_zpsu780t85a.jpg

P1100145_zpsrzgjyk5f.jpg

P1100143_zpsdfbjjdet.jpg

P1100149_zpsfdivb4h3.jpg

• Like 10

Best of luck on this build! I've always found the Javelin to be an oddly-attractive (or attractively-odd) aeroplane. I used to have this kit, but lost it years ago. Seeing how yours goes I might just try and find another one.

Regards,

Jason

I have the same kit in my stash, but I fear, two days after I start building this kit Airfix will announce a brand new Javelin! ;) Good luck with this kit, it's a aircraft which is't seen very often.

Alex

Thanks guys, I too have always had a soft spot for the Javelin's looks, I've just delayed this build until I came across some Model Alliance Group decals in an online auction. My kit decals look OK, but I didn't want to have to rely on them. Heller is one of my favourite classic brands, and this Heller-derived tooling is proving an enjoyable one to work with (especially when it's hard on the heals of a an AML build!)

I did consider rescribing and detailing the cockpit etc, but I just want this to be a relaxing project. I'll add some resin bang-seats and I have some Master pitots I was sent to review for HyeprScale. I also hahve some Airwaves PE air-brakes, but I'll give using those a miss.

As to Airfix issuing a new Javelin in 1/72, nothing seems impossible for them these days, and they've done the homework for one with their 1/48 kit. Despite the old FAW.9/9R kit still being good, I don't think it would stop anyone owning one from buying a new tool release from Airfix, especially going by what the quality of product they are turning out now. Even so Alex, why not do as Jason suggests and build yours? (You could also join in the HyperScale fast jets build with it too).

[EDIT] I meant to multiquote your two posts but stuffed up. I'm still learning my way around this forum's format.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 1

Aggh! So much for this being a simple OOB build - I stumbled across Nobby's build here on Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234917993-airfix-gloster-javelin/

and whilst I don't plan to go any where near the detailing lengths he did, his build log did draw my attention to how undersized the kit's rear fuselage fuselage and exhaust nozzles are. These things I will have to fix.

• Like 1

Very nice. I don't see Airfix replacing this one anytime soon as it is one of their nicer "old technology" kits. Its pedigree is, of course, the Heller Javelin T3 (which Airfix also issued for a while). The T3 was released by Heller at a time when Heller were producing some really refined 1/72 models.

During the time Airfix and Heller were part of the same group and sharing moulds, Airfix retooled the T3 as the FAW9. When the two businesses went their separate ways, the Javelin mould seems to have migrated to Airfix. I wonder if Heller will ever ask for it back :)

I wouldn't go overboard on that trailing edge - on the real thing the trailing edge fixed part is quite sharp - but the ailerons are about 2in thick.

It's an aerodynamic thing........

javelin%20trailing%20edge_01.jpg

javelin%20trailing%20edge_02.jpg

The inner fixed trailing edge is at the left - aileron at right.

javelin%20trailing%20edge_03.jpg

The same is true on the Lightning aileron - about 1in thick outboard, tapering towards the fuselage.

Ken

• Like 3

Somebody once said that watching a Javelin performing a roll was like watching somebody roll the Royal Albert Hall. His description was apt, but the Albert Hall is more aerodynamic.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 7

Nice piccies, Ken! I don't think I've ever seen ailerons so thick they had rivets on the trailing edges!

Regards,

Jason

Gloster was just doing its bit to redeploy redundant shipyard workers from the Clyde ...

• Like 1

So the missile is going to be used for the exhaust pipes - nice. I happen to have one of those missiles, as luck would have it. Now all I need is the Airfix Javelin to put it on. Great work so far!

Regards,

Jason

So the missile is going to be used for the exhaust pipes - nice. I happen to have one of those missiles, as luck would have it. Now all I need is the Airfix Javelin to put it on. Great work so far!

Regards,

Jason

Now that kind of logic appeals to me! and thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 1

You really need the mods to get this moved to the work in progress forum.

Selwyn

Being very new to Britmodller I wasn't sure if builds should be posted under eras (I did one under interwar which seemed to be acceptable). Do you mean all posts should be moeved, or that I should just re-start the thread in he in-progress forum?

Being very new to Britmodller I wasn't sure if builds should be posted under eras (I did one under interwar which seemed to be acceptable). Do you mean all posts should be moeved, or that I should just re-start the thread in he in-progress forum?

The moderators will happily move your existing post to the WIP forum as procopious says.

Selwyn

I believe the mods can transplant the thread. I'm told the procedure is largely painless.

The moderators will happily move your existing post to the WIP forum as procopious says.

Selwyn

OK Thanks, I'll try to get it moved. Which moderator should I ask? [EDIT] Please ignore, I figured it out and contacted Greg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher

Spent the last two days messing about with solutions to fabricate the exhaust nozzles...

The pictures do not reflect the number of times I experimented with different solutions to building nozzles for my Javelin, nor the fact I stepped and crushed the finished article once I had decided on a solution. More representation than replica due to a lack of skill, I must to console myself that mine will be no worse than the terribly undersized kit items.

Here's a few image showing my first concept, experiments and materials, and final choice. I think the real nozzles had 30 holes around their circumference, whereas mine has 32 due to the spacing method I used (pounce wheel). I'm dreading how rough it will look painted, but time to move on.

P1100198_zpsqro0mlwb.jpg

P1100202_zpsfshuwjzi.jpg

P1100204_zpsozmm5zpq.jpg

P1100209_zpshjgcqpvi.jpg

Here's a link to the real thing from www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/javelin/full/dux00119.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 9

Very nice work on those exhausts! I'll be following this with interest as I have the Heller T.3 kit, along with the Maintrack resin conversion for the FAW.7. If only I could find some FAW.7 decals...

Cheers,

Bill