1-48 Classic Airframes Gloster Meteor NF 11

So here goes! Having given up on the leaky resin of the 22" Eagle, I've decided its time to have a go at this one.

This is another build associated with my long-running project which involves building all the various aircraft my father. There is more about the project in this thread from 3 years ago http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926820-long-term-project-the-aircraft-of-my-father/

This is part of the side project that allows me to build aircraft from 5 Squadron int he post war years. I've already done a Lightning Mk 6 and a Tornado F3, so now its the turn of a Meteor NF 11 which were flown by 5 Sqn from 1959.

Here is the kit box

DSC_4085.JPG

Instructions:

DSC_4086.JPG

Paint Guide for 5 Sqn:

DSC_4087.JPG

Sprues

DSC_4088.JPG

DSC_4089.JPG

and finally the resin:

DSC_4084.JPG

Now if you look in the middle of that photo you see one of the problem with this kit - there are two sets of the same sidewalls for the cockpit rather than having two different sets :(

I'm not as yet sure what I'm going to do about this - I may just try to scratch build replacement side walls instead. I'll have to think about it...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well seeing I got no response from my questions about finding information about the radar operator cockpit on a couple of threads, today I decided to have a go at scratch building the side panels using the diagrams that are included in the instructions and came up with these

DSC_4140.JPG

I have no idea if they are in any way shape or form accurate but since nobody appears to have photos, nobody can prove it otherwise :)

That's not a bad job at scratch building at all!!! It's pretty dam close and with the cockpit being quite...cramped, no one will be able to tell. Well done!

DSCF2885_zpsmzy8m8zj.jpg

The part you're missing is in the bottom left and sort of top right, you nailed it!

Glad to see someone else building one of these. It will be a bit of work but I have to say I/'m really enjoying building my one.

Will definitely be following this build, best of luck with it.

Ahh thanks for that photo, very useful in confirming I got it pretty well right, just from the diagrams in the instructions - just a couple of small changes to be made near the gas bottles I reckon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm afraid this build is very unlikely to be completed by the end of the GB. The chest infection I picked up back in November has stayed with me all over the Xmas period and in fact a couple of times got worse as I picked up other colds and sniffles, so my workbench productivity has really suffered in the last few weeks. Hopefully the new year will see a signification improvement!

oh! what a pity!

get well soon,

and don't wait for the Airfix one! you'd never build it then I assume!

making a sprint with mine, but not too sure if I can finish it in time...

Hi Kallisti

I am enjoying the build of your meteor even though you have been stalled. Please this chest infection has gone on to long, you need to see a doctor about it, as we need to have our plastic meteor fix.

Simon

Feel better my friend and good luck with the collection. A very worthy endeavor.

Michael