Good evening all

Have seen some of the amazing things people can do on this site, it's with some trepidation that I post the pictures below....but you’ve got to start somewhere....

I made a few models (badly) in my youth when war-gaming and then nothing for a long time but got back into it last year after 20+ years, when my young son decided he wanted a model tank that he could play battles with.

Below is a selection of some of the betters ones but I’ve still got a way to go especially when it comes to weathering and stowage.

At the moment my aim is to get them looking reasonably like they're supposed to, which I think I've managed. Better historical accuracy will hopefully come with time.

Thanks for your time and please be gentle..... :please:

Andrew

PS you'll also probably notice I'm not a great photographer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armourfast Cromwells with some very basic stowage

Cromwll_x2_front%20-%20finished_ul_zpsvs

Cromwll_front_low%20-%20finished_ul_zps4

Plastic Soldier Company Churchills

One has some extra stowage from S and S Models http://www.sandsmodels.com/

Churhcill_x3%20-%20finished_ul_zps8t98al

Churhcill_x1%20-%20finished_ul_zpsjpwuvc

Armourfast Achilles x4

Again these have some additional stowage from S and S models. At some point I'll look at putting a couple of crew in.

Also I know the weight should be 29 tons but I don't have any 29 ton signs.

I also know the camo is not right but there are reasons (to do with my son) as to why I went with it.

The bottom two are the first two models I finished after coming back to the hobby. I overdid the matt varnish on one of the but managed to rescue it (just).

Achilles_3amp4%20-%20finished%202_ul_zps

Achilles_3amp4%20-%20finished_ul_zpspp8q

Achilles_finished_1_zps8cf583d2.jpg

Achilles_finished_2_zps87f91fd1.jpg

Plastic Soldier Company M5A1 Half track

I have a total of three of these, of which this is probably the best.

One thing that does annoy me slightly with PSC is some of the odd and inconsistent scaling. The 0.50 calibre MG on this model is WAY oversize but the ones on their Shermans are pretty close.

M5A1_HT%20-%20finished_ul_zpsqdtekqas.jp

Plastic Soldier Company M4A4

A couple of these have stowage/tarpaulin made of sprue off cuts covered in tissue paper, which is covered in PVA glue. I got the idea from someone on the Armourfast forum before it went offline (Dave if you ever see this - thanks for the idea). I also has to replace the .30 caliber bow MGs as they were as wide as the main gun!! I used short section of the same plastic I use for the aerials.

Sherman_x4%20-%20finished_ul_zpszfffwbkd

Sherman_x21ff%20-%20finished_ul_zpso7gcj

Sherman_ff_side%20-%20finished_ul_zpsjjs

Sherman_ff_rear%20-%20finished_ul_zpscel

Edited by adt70hk
  • Like 14

Steve, Shaun

Thanks for the comments - although to be honest, having seen your models Sean, I'm embarrassed to have put mine up on show.

I really like the quick build stuff too - PSC, Armourfast, Zvezda etc. - I started back on a couple of Airfix models as that's all I really knew but they were far too complicated for my young son to help out with and the suspension on the Matilda even tried my patience!

Then I came across the new-fangled quickbuild kits, which he can now help build. And my daughter, who's a bit older, built two Armourfast Panthers almost entirely on her own. The low unit cost is also very appealing.

Just to warn you that my German builds will be appearing shortly...

Thanks again for the comments.

Andrew

Edited by adt70hk

You should also keep Pegasus models in mind, they are mostly easy build kits for gaming as well, normally with 2 vehicles per box, they even do a couple of E panzer 'what-ifs" if that interests you, I did a couple of E panzers a few months back, nice little kits.

I picked up a couple of sets a week back, a King Tiger set and a KV1 set with 2 turret options, so I'll probably do 1 of each, and an E-25 Jagdpanzer with a couple of options, I've started one and is still very much a WIP.

Keep at it...

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

S-Models turn out some very nice QB kits too (their wheeled vehicles are particularly good):

http://henk.fox3000.com/sModel.htm

Very sensibly priced, two kits per box and they even include decals and some (often slightly pointless) etch parts. :mental:

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've looked at their models before but I wasn't sure that they turned out like and so was reluctant to take the plunge.

From what I can see the majority seem to be much more complicated than Armourfast and a bit for complicated than PSC but not by much. However, the the most complex appear to be on a par with conventional kits e.g. Airfix, Revel, Italieri etc.

Is that a fair assessment?

I'm trying to keep myself limited to simpler kits so my 7 year old son can have some fun building them, as well as playing with them.

I'd say your summary was about spot on, their simpler models are very close to Armourfast, but do feature a few finer details.....My 8yr old nephew currently builds Armourfast and Italeri QBs with me and has been eyeing my S-Models stash covetously on the grounds that there are two kits in all of the boxes QED: They must all be QB kits (I've hidden all my Flyhawk 1+1s)! To be fair though, the simpler S-Models kits (ie: mainly the ones I don't have) would be well within his ability range. :coolio:

What actually constitutes a QB kit eludes me and that's a fact.....Zvezda's 1/72 offerings are marketed as QB kits but they are significantly more complex (and thus vastly more detailed) than any of the other QB offerings. Their one piece hard plastic flexible tracks are superb, but do require some patience and care to fit:

http://henk.fox3000.com/zvezda.htm

If you are interested in the 1939 war in Poland, the 'First To Fight' range might appeal to you, especially if you can read Polish (or fancy learning):

http://henk.fox3000.com/firsttofight.htm

Italeri have largely turned to QB kits these days, complexity similar to Armourfast:

http://henk.fox3000.com/Italeri-rest.htm

Hope you & the boy have some fun with this.....Love what you are doing and look forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

I'll have to get some of Louis' Sovietn stuff together for a photo (before his little sister breaks it all again). :rolleyes:

Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks for the info.

it looks like my 'to buy' list will be getting ever longer.

I recently got some Zvezda pieces and have been very impressed. I took the plunge with a couple of mortars British 3" mortars from their "Art of Tactic" range and was very impressed with the quality of them - not to mention the price (less than £3).

Then I saw their 88 Pak 36 from the same range and thought I have to get one. As you say it's not what I'd call a true quick build but it was still pretty straight forward and the level of detail is excellent.

That's a mighty fine looking collection. Lovely stuff!! Well done.

Stix

Me thinks you are being far too generous. Having see your diorama, your first ever tanks are vastly superior to mine. :weep:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look though!!

Andrew

PS If anyone else reads this post have a look here (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987223-somewhere-in-france-july-1944-typhoon-panther-and-tiger-in-172/page-2#entry2161187) and you'll see what I mean about Stix's work.

• Like 1

Stix

Me thinks you are being far too generous. Having see your diorama, your first ever tanks are vastly superior to mine. :weep:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look though!!

Andrew

PS If anyone else reads this post have a look here (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987223-somewhere-in-france-july-1944-typhoon-panther-and-tiger-in-172/page-2#entry2161187) and you'll see what I mean about Stix's work.

I'm certainly not being far too generous........ I seriously think your models look great. My 1/72 Panther and Tiger may have been my first ever tanks but I had practiced my modelling skills on a few Spitfires, a fire engine and some space bits and pieces beforehand - and I got lots of advice from other members of BM, like the Sarge, who helped no-end with the builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm certainly not being far too generous........ I seriously think your models look great. My 1/72 Panther and Tiger may have been my first ever tanks but I had practiced my modelling skills on a few Spitfires, a fire engine and some space bits and pieces beforehand - and I got lots of advice from other members of BM, like the Sarge, who helped no-end with the builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix

Thank you again - although I can see we will have to disagree on my skills!! ;)

Given the quality of your Typhoon dio, would you mind having a look at my first attempt at 'scenery'?? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Link: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991264-172-fieldworks-some-advice-needed/

Apologies if such blatant self advertising is in breach of forum rules. :newb:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look!

Andrew

• Like 1