Soldering Iron

Mancunian airman

General chat or in Tools, not sure :mental:

I would greatly appreciate a recommendation for a low-heat soldering iron for modelling related items, most likely for wiring to frames for batteries and I also have some Brass lengths to create framework for sliding doors (aircraft hangar). Type of flux is also a requirement I think . . . .

I believe recommendations rank high amongst those who use and know them well.

Thank you in anticipation

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

I bought a Silverline battery powered soldering iron for about £8 which heats up quickly (30 seconds), and I converted it to USB power and run if off the mains (using a USB to 3 pin plug). Of course I needed a soldering iron to do that in the first place, luckily my late father had a really old grotty one in his shed...

It certainly worked fine for the half a dozen IR LEDS and resistors I wired up for a couple of Freetrack IR LED arrays.

Also you don't necessarily need separate flux - you can buy solder with flux in it, iirc from when I was looking at this sort of stuff a year or two ago you're looking for something called something like roisin flux core solder..

Have a look on Maplin.co.uk, they're solders all have a flux core. They also do soldering irons including the battery one I modded.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I have two Antex irons, a 15W and a 25W. I use both for modelling but probably get more use out of the 25W one. I use rosin cored flux but always supplement this with some plumbers flux paste such as the one made by Frys Metals.

I watched that video with great interest, I have an intention of building a frame work to replicate that seen on an aircraft hangar.

I shall of course, practise on 'bits' before the final construction. I have brass angle-iron for that purpose.

Having used metal in modeling for a lot of years, I take a different approach ...

Soldering%20Video.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBji-Oz3J7E

Paul

watched your entire series and hope more will be coming. A soldering iron is next on my tool list ( want one since l watched that video.....your fault :bleh: )

• Like 1

watched your entire series and hope more will be coming. A soldering iron is next on my tool list ( want one since l watched that video.....your fault :bleh: )

Yup, me too!

After watching that video I can not understand how I have managed without one so far.Dare I watch the rest of the videos? :winkgrin:

I've been using Weller TCP irons since the early eighties, and there's a reason they they are pretty much industry standard. It's well built and very reliable. I've not found rosin-cored flux to be much of an issue, though I do have a rudimentary fume extractor. However, the "no-clean" or aquacore fluxes are a different mater entirely. I had to leave my first job because I was *that* allergic to them, and I wasn't the only one.

The best soldering equipment I have ever used was the stuff made by Metcal. It's not cheap, but it was astonishingly good.

Are you going for a solder station, where you can adjust the temp' of the iron, or just a soldering iron fixed wattage.

Asking because it depends on what and size you want to solder.

The solder stations allow you to adjust the temp' to suit what your soldering so are more adaptable for your needs.

The fixed ones less so, too small and you'll have trouble getting enough heat into what you want to solder, too large and too much heat for the delicate parts, especially if you intend to solder white metal.

Also the tips of the irons play a major part in what you are soldering

Rick,

I looked at Antex and there are a number of different wattages. Which one would be best for normal modelling?

I have 15, 18 and 20watt versions.

I find the 18w is a good starting point and you can lower the temperature by winding a length of tinned copper wire round the end and extending out to use as a new tip! Works for me on white metal etc.

Antex do a range of tips for different jobs.

Through experience I find a higher wattage one works best for me. You then get in and out quickly so as not to let heat build up around the surrounding area.

This can cause damage to the object.

I suggest you look around the model railway sites as those guys have been working with soldering irons for years.

I do have a temperature controlled one for larger projects.

HTH,

Rick.

From my electrical enginering days I remember Weller irons featuring heavily. A look on E Bay shows loads of them. For small jobs, go for something around 100W and I'd stick with mains voltage unless you are travelling around with it. The springy thingy type stands are very useful too if you can run to it financially.

Nige B

• Like 1