Confessional...

At Sea

Confessions:

I'm big into Spitfires, but for some reason I'm just not much moved by the Mks V and IX. Perhaps because there were just so many of them - and so many models of them too. Let's see what happens when the new Eduard IX kits arrive - maybe I'll be swayed.

And while I like the Mustang, and its capabilities as an aeroplane, I just can't get myself motivated to finish the D-model I've started. Give me a decent B/C and maybe that will work.

Deliver me a decent Sea Fury, please. That lovely Hawker with the big 5-blader is simply a beautiful thing. That and a 2-seat Hunter will suit me fine. But anything more recent, and i'm just not that interested, sadly.

Justin

The jet that leaves me cold, but shouldn't because it's largely considered a classic beauty, is the F-86. I can't explain it. I'll probably still build one at some point.

I used to find the F-4 unappealing, but then I built a Hasegawa F-4E last year and kinda fell in love with the brute.

F-104 for being a spectacular waste of German taxpayers' (and probably othe nations too) money (not to mention loss of pilots lifes), for the benefit of some Swiss bank accounts.

F-16 for killing first the F-17 and then the F-20, which both would have been much more sexy machines. I always loved the F-5, and the F-20 would have been a great culmination.

F-117, F-22 and F-35. Uglier than a Shorts Seamew all three, and that's quite a feat.

I have to say that I in general will buy and build almost anything, but I must admit that - although I have had kits of both - I never have built - and probably never will - the following:

F-22 - I don't know why I don't like - too boring perhaps? Can't really weather them can you? :hmmm:

F-35 - Nah! - not my cup of tea! Same as the F-22 - too modern? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Got to agree Hans. The F-22 and F-35 are very dull looking aircraft. And grey, grey, grey. I much prefer the F-14 (and indeed just about any earlier generation jet). At least it has some character.

Got to agree Hans. The F-22 and F-35 are very dull looking aircraft. And grey, grey, grey. I much prefer the F-14 (and indeed just about any earlier generation jet). At least it has some character.

Agreed, the only real variation available on modern jets is the amount of pre-shading you indulge in.

I wish they would go back to national variable schemes, even if Air Superiority Greys are the best tactical camouflage some national variation would be nice. All Typhoons are the same, just different national markings. Shame.

F-104 for being a spectacular waste of German taxpayers' (and probably othe nations too) money (not to mention loss of pilots lifes), for the benefit of some Swiss bank accounts.

F-16 for killing first the F-17 and then the F-20, which both would have been much more sexy machines. I always loved the F-5, and the F-20 would have been a great culmination.

F-117, F-22 and F-35. Uglier than a Shorts Seamew all three, and that's quite a feat.

Well, if it's any consolation, the F-5 family is on track to outlast the F-16 in US service, via the EA-18G (yup, it's derived from the N-156, via the YF-17 and F/A-18)

I like the F14, always did. But although I was a big fan of modern and cold war jets. That has declined and it's back WW2 for me.

I don't actively dislike any aircraft. But it's like my attitude to curried food. I'd eat it if there was nothing else to choose from. So it is with certain aircraft. For example and this will probably get me drummed out of the forum, the Shackleton. Don't like it much. To that you can add any RN aircraft painted EDSG and sky. Even the Sea Fury in that scheme. Anything Russian or Soviet bloc. Japanese of any era.

Likes? I have quite a few. I just bought the new Airfix Beaufighter. Now that's my current favourite. Ironically it's painted grey over sky. But that's different!

I have decided not to build anything which wasn't flown in Australian Service. Officially and captured, I like captured aircraft, they add variety to the stew. Yet I'm currently making an EMB-314 .. ....

Won't make helicopters, have a terrible record of destruction to helicopter models. No vintage helicopter flying clubs for a good reason.

F-14, I've made a few for others, none for myself. F-15 no, F-16 no, F/A-18 yes to big and small. F-111 yes, F-117 no. Cold War British in general no, except for the Gannet along with the Meteor both of which I adore. Love the Mirage IIIE/O, Sabre not so much. I like French WWII bombers, but they're out. :)

Realising the limits of just 240 different types is limiting, I also indulge in between wars civilian types if they wore VH- codes. And some old time air-racers. I wish the directors of Revell GMBH would do modern air racers (Red Bull) to go along with their glider series.

Great thread.

Grant

Never been overly fond of the F4, although I have built one.

It was always the craze for German WWII aircraft & future design projects that I couldn't understand.

Anyway the cream for me was always the British 3 'V' bombers.

'V'