Confessional...

At Sea

The F-14 is my least favourite of the teen series fighters. It used to scrap for that spot with the F-16, probably mostly because of its big gaping mouth, but as a kid I got a fairly cheap 1/48 Hasegawa F-16C and it built up well so it went up in my estimation. :) I like the cobra hood thing that the F-18 has going on from some angles but my favourite teen series fighter is the F-15. For me it seems to be some sort of ideal form for that generation of jet fighter. (For reference, the Phantom is its predecessor, then the Starfighter before that, for that accolade.)

I've never been a huge fan of the F-111, though that may have been influenced by its part in the downfall of the TSR.2. The Vulcan is completely eclipsed in my affections by the Victor, probably initialy because I got the matchbox kit as a Christmas present when I was a kid, but since then I have grown to love its aesthetics. There's something of the Flash Gordon rocket ship about the Victor! The Lightning is not a huge draw for me, the F-4 seems to be stealing the "so ugly it's beautiful" attention from it.

I have always been more of a Hurricane fan than a Spitfire fan, though curiously I have far more Spitfires and Seafires stashed away than Hurricanes. I think it's almost impossible to fight against the tide of Spitfires in the modelling industry! The only Supermarine jet that interests me is the Scimitar and even then its aesthetics are very directional - from some angles it looks nice, from some it's pretty nasty looking.

Possibly the oddest thing that I have a soft spot for is the Sea Hawk. Somehow I think its straight wings and smoothly bulging fuselage make it look much nicer than rough contemporaries such as the MiG-15 or the Hunter (not to mention the F-86, whose low-slung wing immediately rules it out of any beauty contest).

• Like 1

For me I'm not a big fan of the newer, all weaponry enclosed, styling's that are coming out. I realise that this is a stealth necessity, but to me, an attack/fighter aircraft should have lots of dangly bits! Makes them look more menacing and purposeful. That said, I do have a bit of a thing for the F-117, possibly from playing the old Amiga game loads!

• Like 1

A picture tells a thousand words...

IMAG0384_zps1c9nm8ug.jpg

Yup, middle of the road, single type, single scheme modelling for me... :)

Note the multiple Japanese types is just a coincidence as I got a 4-in-1 buy somewhere along the line.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Not really into anything that wears stars and bars, swaztikas or hinomarus (though I'm pencilled in for the proposed Rising Sun GB mainly because I want a crack at the chipped green look on some types).

Airliners, but if Airfix did a new Comet or any Viscount I would be tempted.

Trevor

• Like 1

Not really into anything that wears stars and bars, swaztikas or hinomarus (though I'm pencilled in for the proposed Rising Sun GB mainly because I want a crack at the chipped green look on some types).

Airliners, but if Airfix did a new Comet or any Viscount I would be tempted.

Trevor

It's not so much the users it's the fact that I see so very many of the same type wearing the same clothes. (not talking OOB options and decals, rather even AM decals and conversions are often just a variation on a theme)

In the long term I would like to have a crack at making a collection from around the world. It might be necessary to have a common type but I'll match it with an unusual operator, and conversely an unusual type with a such big names as the US or UK.

Eg. An F-4 would be Japanese not American or British. And for the US I could easily throw in say an F-89, and the UK would get it's Wellesley after many failed attempts.

Swastikas...sorry but no 109/190/88 or other run-of-the-mill stuff. I would however like to track down a Hs126.

Etc etc...variety but not always rarity. There's a good number of kits out there of types built in fair numbers that you just don't see that often. Doesn't have to be a prototype to be rare, indeed some prototypes or types built in low nummber are massively outnumbered by the kits (TSR2 is a prime example. Once a rarity now almost yawn insider).

I too wish Airfix would restart the 144 large Airliners, and 72 smaller types as a single Dakota isn't exactly making my blood rush to my head. Seems though most big name manufacturers ignore them so existing kits don't get new batches, and new moulds are increasingly rare.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 2

Nah... I've loved Tomcats since that first Airfix "Wolf Pack/Bicentennial" release...

Me, I have no love for Bf109s at all: ungainly at best, ugly in general, and flown by the bad guys. The Fw190 is better looking, but still has the swastikas on the tail...

Swift hits the "if it don't look right, it won't fly right" vibe, especially by comparison to the sublime Hunter. As does the Mig-21.

There's not a stylish and elegant helicopter in existence...

And from my other genre, I really can't understand people getting excited over Hot Rods or Mopars... they are all as ugly as sin, and a travesty of what great automotive design is about...

;-P

bestest,

M.

Me too, it was that Airfix kit and Wolfpack markings that is my original fascination with the big cat

imho one of the nicest modern jets is the Mirage series, actually all of them!

Mirage III

Mirage IV

Mirage F1

Mirage 2000

you could even add the 4000, or the variable geometry prototype versions...

the F-14 is a big aircraft, with a great look from nearly every angle too......

;)

It's not so much the users it's the fact that I see so very many of the same type wearing the same clothes. (not talking OOB options and decals, rather even AM decals and conversions are often just a variation on a theme)

In the long term I would like to have a crack at making a collection from around the world. It might be necessary to have a common type but I'll match it with an unusual operator, and conversely an unusual type with a such big names as the US or UK.

Eg. An F-4 would be Japanese not American or British. And for the US I could easily throw in say an F-89, and the UK would get it's Wellesley after many failed attempts.

Swastikas...sorry but no 109/190/88 or other run-of-the-mill stuff. I would however like to track down a Hs126.

I'm largely in agreement with you on these points. It's often less the type than the markings you put it in that make the difference.

Were I to Build an F-4 Phantom, it would be in Luftwaffe Norm 81 or Greek Aegean schemes as I feel those were the two best looking schemes that particular aircraft ever wore.

If I took the notion to build WWII Axis aircraft, they would either be captured ones (a captured Fw-190 in Yugoslav markings is on my to do list) or Italian co-beligerent markings.

Choice of unusual markings is why I like aircraft like the Northrop F-5. Not only is it a good looking aircraft, it's been used so widely that the marking options are nearly unlimited.

Edited by upnorth

I'm a big fan of the F-14 and F-15, but the F-16 leaves me very unimpressed.

I do love the Century series fighters, and the mighty Phantom of course.

[Torches and pitchforks ready] I fail to see the misty-eyed fervour for the Lancaster. It is a very ugly, ungainly looking machine, and features an extremely dull, unvarying paint scheme and finish in its common appearance. In my personal opinion, which I know is clearly a minority on this site! But the OP did ask...!

I like the F-14 because of the engineering involved, really it was the ultimate extension of the Century series thinking (a series of aircraft which I find particularly interesting).

Regarding the Lancaster, I like it but in its post-war schemes which I find far more colourful and interesting.

• Like 1

I've never done an F14 either. I'm not into Spitfires if truth be told. Seafires on the other hand though....

I agree. Wonderful aircraft, brilliant design, fantastic history. I just don't want to build one. Sure I built the 1/72 airfix a couple of times as a child but can't remember them - unusual as I can remember all of my other plastic disasters. Same with the Lancaster, I'd take a Halifax any day. I've got an old airfix 1/72 with the wonderful Roy Cross box, and I... duck for cover... melt the parts for black stretched sprue (it had no clear sprue honest)

• Like 2

There's absolutely no problem in having no love or interest in the Tomcat. The worst that can happen is that one day some people wearing "anytime baby" caps will knock at your door and force you to watch in sequence The Final Countdown, Top Gun, and all the Fighter Fling series. All while kneeling on bolts coming from the Iron Works at Bethpage. This will be followed by having to sing hymns to the Jolly Rogers and finally build a series of 1/48 kits, one for every squadron from VF-1 to VF-302, plus the experimental units and a couple of Iranian ones. If after all of this you'll have behaved properly, you'll be given an Anytime Baby patch and your name will be added to the list of the Righteous Lovers of the Best Carrier Fighter Ever, the Big Tomcat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, back to less important things, personally I'm very open minded when it comes to aircraft modelling subjects. Of course there are some that interest me very little but I would have no problem in building these. Among the popular types there are some that I've never built but this was mainly by accident. For example I've never built a P-47, even if I have two in the stash and I realise that I'd like to build a few. I've never built a P-39 but again I'd like to build a couple one day. Never built the modern day Typhoon, or the Gripen or the F-22, simply because I've given priority to others but I have nothing against these subjects (and I even already have aftermarket for the Gripen...). The only subjects I'm not considering much are WW1 aircrafts, but I can't swear that I'll never build say a Camel one day (and I've built a couple of DR.1s). Oh, and another subjects that leave me cold is the Il-2, even if it was one of the most importanta aircrafts in history. Again, I may well build one at some point, nothing against this type.

Judging from the first part of this post it should be pretty clear that I love Tomcats :D

Regarding the post-war Supermarine fighters, I have them all. However I wouldn't consider these are popular subjects, they are popular with some modellers here on Britmodeller (me included) but overall they are relatively obscure subjects.

• Like 4

I've got to confess I'm no lover of the Gloster Javelin. A horrendously ugly waste of money...

I actually like the Javelin and still remember the one I built early on in life before I knew virtually anything about it. But...

...it's one type that really need more than just paint & decals to bring it to life otherwise I've seen livelier sheets of plasticard.

Missiles and tanks are a must.

Open canopy is also a very good idea.

What it really needs though is a ladder and a base, and preferably figures.

I suspect at some point there will be a new Slab from Airfix, bit I do hope they go the extra mile or else it'll be like looking at a painted cheese triangle.

Spitfires, and Hurricanes. Love building less common variants, Naval variants or unusual schemes, but not too bothered about bog-standard aircraft. Love the real thing, but models of them are so common that they don't really interest me. Same goes for Bf109s and Fw190s. Not interested in them in German colours, but I'm planning to build one of each in Japanese markings.

There's absolutely no problem in having no love or interest in the Tomcat. The worst that can happen is that one day some people wearing "anytime baby" caps will knock at your door and force you to watch in sequence The Final Countdown, Top Gun, and all the Fighter Fling series. All while kneeling on bolts coming from the Iron Works at Bethpage. This will be followed by having to sing hymns to the Jolly Rogers and finally build a series of 1/48 kits, one for every squadron from VF-1 to VF-302, plus the experimental units and a couple of Iranian ones. If after all of this you'll have behaved properly, you'll be given an Anytime Baby patch and your name will be added to the list of the Righteous Lovers of the Best Carrier Fighter Ever, the Big Tomcat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant! :-)

• Like 1

No, all Tom Cruise films suck.

I've got to confess I'm no lover of the Gloster Javelin. A horrendously ugly waste of money which the RAF should have spent on the DH110. I've yet to finish my RAF Vixen.

Tropic Thunder. Aside from that, yes, absolutely.

Also agreed on the Javelin, but its in the same boat as the Vixen for me.

I think we all build the aircraft that have made the greatest impression on us, be it from experiencing them in whatever form, the looks alone or maybe what they do/did, quite often a combination of all.

For me its noise/ugliness/RAF camo/prettines that matters so long as a half decent kit is available in 1/48. (I need a Sea Hawk - Ill leave you decide what category that fits into).

F-14s, 15s and 18s are run of the mill, too much exposure. I do have a soft spot for the wee F-16 though - dinky, lightweight, pretty and simple, much like some things Ive very much enjoyed in the past. ;)

Well... that was fun - lots of interesting replies and a few laughs, too :winkgrin:

For me - the F/A-18 is the least inspiring thing I've seen. Can't see me ever buying one again (once owned a 144th kit, but that was sold unbuilt).

Can't think of any other aircraft that leaves me that cold, though I have to admit to an abject (and probably irrational) fear of the Handley Page 0/400 and Heracles - both due to severe childhood trauma from my only attempts at building them! :coolio:

Kev