1:72 AW Argosy - Mach 2

Rob P

Bonus then. I have sent Julien a batch of pics from Cosford as well.

Looking forward to seeing them, I'm going over on the 28th I think, was meant to have gone this weekend but my back said no.........

Also.....Might be my copy, but the underside of the port side fuselage doesn't sit properly, when looking at the underside you will see it looks like it has sunk in / looks flatter than the right side. I rested the built fuselage on it's belly and saw that the wing roots were both facing in two different directions so thought the worse thinking major surgery was needed, but inspecting it properly I found the issue. My fuselage is closed up so I'm leaving it, it doesn't look to bad when built, if I had put in more weight I'd have sorted it, but I don't want to run the risk of it being a tail sitter and I'm not going to rip it open either.....

I Love Mach2 :)

Yep. Watched him doing it. Did he give you both sets of tail doors then?

I don't understand why he would cut them off, unless for a second run he was going to adapt the tool to not mould either set of doors, and then include the ones he snipped off. Otherwise he's surely just left with a bunch of doors and the kit buyer prevented from changing their mind as to which version to build (decals excepted).

It's a bit of a struggle getting the sprues in a standard size box. removing the 'unwanted' items leaves space for the clear sprue.

Didier uses generic 'Mach 2' boxes and sticks appropriate lables according to type. The sprue size is limited by the injection moulding machine size so he can use 'standard' boxes.

Looks promising. I agree the bump above the cargo doors looks a bit prominent.

Looking back at a WA from Cosford a couple of years ago, the main landing gear looks better than I feared.

Looking at the engines on the sprue and the made up kit, the waisting on the inboard engines appears to be because all the cowlings taper back in towards the rear as moulded, but the inboard ones did not taper back in on the original.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason4/argosy_cosford/ - see images 2 and 3.

The same pattern can be seen on the Viscount. Did AW use the same cowlings? I guess I will have to go and look in the Company archive at Farnborough - I was surprised to find nearly 200 Argosy reference documents available including four volumes of Illustrated parts catalogues.

Howard - BAE Systems Heritage Manager

• Like 1

Well, it looks like this is one I need for my ever-expanding line of Lancaster-family kits. Yes, the Argosy belongs to the Lancaster family as most of the Argosies used a wing based on that of the Shackleton MR.3, if legend is to be believed. Besides, it just looks great in that desert scheme. I have some Mach 2 kits so I know what to expect, and believe me I've encountered rougher limited-run kits during my journeys so that doesn't put me off.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Noticed that Mr Models had these on eBay at the weekend so snagged an RAF Camo one to go with the RAF TC one I got at Telford and replace the one I cancelled from Hannants. This one how ever will get a What-If touch.....

• 1 month later...

Started pulling out the original AW660 Type Record and Illustrated Parts Catalogue from the archive today.

The kit looks pretty much like an Argosy, and has many of the expected surface features. The only significant external fixes I am doing for an RAF C.Mk.1 are to:

• reshape the nose radome (neither option is the correct shape),
  • flatten the bulge over the clamshell doors (the upper door slopes up too much), and
  • removing the taper on the inboard engines.

Purists might want to

• remove the spurious cockpit rear bulkhead and move it back to frame 10, scratching the engineer and navigator stations.
  • add the prominent structure in the nose gear bay - maybe even the actuating mechanism for the inner and outer doors
  • Hollow out the main gear bays to the full depth of the tailboom and the wing upper surface so there is somewhere for the wheels to go.
  • scrape out the leading edges of the control surfaces
  • remove the spurious detail inside the main gear doors

Howard Mason - BAE Systems Heritage Manager

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to see if we can start doing some resin canopiues and other bits for some of their kits. Might make them a bit more buildable

If you do make a decision on a Argosy canopy, I'd happily stop this build when needed to fit a clear part on. I can always send you the kit part too if you need one to measure?

Looking good Radleigh, your a braver man than me, looked at one of these at Telford, but luckily I passed seeing as it was a Mach 2 kit, I'll let others tear their hair out LOL

Thanks Kev.. It's not been to bad tbh, apart from the fuselage half's don't match (both different shapes). So major surgery would be needed, but I've left it as it won't be seen when sat hopefully.

I'm looking to see if we can start doing some resin canopiues and other bits for some of their kits. Might make them a bit more buildable

I'd certainly be interested - there are at least two Argosies that I want to build.

• 1 year later...

Armstrong Whitworth (Hawker Siddeley) raided the company gash box, Shack wings (HS), Meteor fuse (AW) for the booms and used existing Dart cowlings as per Viscount (Vickers Armstrong) although the engine and landing gear bay position(like the 748 & 780, NAMC YS11, Dart Herald) front cowling stayed the same. Wing installation (F27) dictated the shape

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...