1/72 Eduard fw-190 A-8

jan_cz

Hi guys,

Arrived home earlier today to a nice package from Eduard that contains the new release of the 1/72 fw-190. Here are couple of pictures that I took with my cellphone tonight for a preview. Some of the Czech guys have been working on theirs already, and their work can be seen here: http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=97364

From their observations, it seems like the kit has a tight fit, and the addition of PE parts in the cockpit appears to make them bit too thick. Also there has been a lively discussion about the covers of the outer guns, namely that there is a missing small panel covering the ejection channel for 30mm ammo when not installed, and the presence of the bulges on the upper side. Finally, Eduard has already released several AM sets both in PE and resin, and more have been announced. From the construction of the kit, it seems that there might be one with the interior of the rear fuselage coming as well...or at least the grove will make it easier to separate and open the large inspection panel on the left side of the fuselage.

Onto the photos, I let you be the judge of the efforts:

image_zpsjxbz6zvs.jpeg

Here are the decals...

image_zpswqjnv3pd.jpeg

...and the PE parts

image_zpszkgism84.jpeg

The fuselage halves with some nice rivet detail

image_zps6lhlsfza.jpegimage_zpsam8iivwq.jpeg

Inside of the left fuselage half

image_zps7cxpr3t3.jpeg

And the wings

image_zpsteum6k63.jpegimage_zpsi94jqzna.jpeg

And some of the smaller parts; the face of the BMW engine seems rather simplistic, but likely not much will be seen past the propeller and the fan

image_zpssmtjwi99.jpeg

This is the only fw-190 in 1/72 that has the back wheel well wall done as the spar rather than molded into the bottom wing

image_zps1t0xqgeq.jpegimage_zpstsgy7cvp.jpegimage_zps2tjzrbhf.jpegimage_zpsxrlbaspx.jpeg

The clear parts look crisp, without blemish, and nicely thin

image_zpskpxjri60.jpegimage_zpsddp4ehdb.jpeg

• Like 5

Hmmmm, I wasn't going to get one of these, seeing as I can do the schemes from this kit I want to from the Skymodels sheet & use some Airfix or Hasegawa kits I already have but seeing this, I can feel a degree of weakness creeping in. :(;)Btw, I believe the Eduard colour calls for Black 10 are probably wrong, there is some evidence that the production batch this aircraft came from were in a 74/75/76 scheme, like Airfix portray for their one, not the late war 81/82/76(84) scheme that Eduard would have us do.:unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

I believe the Eduard colour calls for Black 10 are probably wrong, there is some evidence that the production batch this aircraft came from were in a 74/75/76 scheme, like Airfix portray for their one, not the late war 81/82/76(84) scheme that Eduard would have us do. :unsure:

Steve.

There are two pics of W.Nr 380 352 'Black 10 + ' of 2./J.G. 11 on page 322 of Peter Rodeike's Jagdflugzeug 190 book. It was one of a small batch of A-8s built by Arado. Rodeike doesn't guess at a finish so I suspect there is no reason for it not to be standard RLM 74/75/76. However the high demarcation and absence of any fuselage mottling whatsoever is interesting and makes an 81 finish more than possible IMHO. While Eduard have just the top of the empennage in yellow, Rodeike suggests that the rudder was also in yellow along with the Rumpfband..

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 2

Thank you guys for your thoughts on the Black 10 from 2/JG 11. I've been thinking about doing that scheme...but still undecided.

Anyway, I was able to get some time at the bench to day and got a good start on this beauty. I decided to build one of the overtrees models as a trial before doing the profipack version...so no PE except for harness. I assembled the the cockpit tub and the min wheel wells, and got them painted. The wells have also received a brown wash, and I then closed up the wings. Next session will be focused on the cockpit and few details and hopefully inch toward putting the main airframe together, we'll see.

Here are some observations from today's time at the bench, and few photos.

Eduard engineered this kit very precisely. It is therefore good to clean the mating surfaces from any paint, or it could result in poor fit of the major parts.

Second, at least on my example, the wingtips of the bottom wing needed some sanding to get a flush joint at the tip...I should have done the same thing with the flaps, but will have to do some sanding later.

Third, the wheel well is incredibly detailed for 1/72...but few tips. When gluing the dividers between the leg and wheels pace (A50+62; A49+63) it is good to put the upper wing over them and put some pressure on them while drying. Otherwise they may stand too proud and impede fit of the wings. Similarly, it seems like it would be useful to lightly sand the 'divider' between the wheel wells (A67). As is the roof can be bit too high and not reach all the way to the rear wall.

A mock up of the main parts, the fit seems to be good, if not tight

PA202706_zpss21a4moj.jpg

Took out some scale plans I had lying around just to see how Eduard fairs. It is fairly accurate; maybe slightly undersized with respect to length and span.

PA202709_zpsx7gs2fp1.jpgPA202712_zpsck4ftqat.jpgPA202707_zpsrmoznap6.jpgPA202708_zpsxxecgxwo.jpg

The cockpit tub after a spray of RLM 66

PA202717_zpshn3ohdoq.jpg

The main wheel wells after the wash:

PA202719_zpsnnqnw4dk.jpg

PA202720_zpsifmcpsjk.jpg

• Like 2

My Eduard 190s arrived yesterday and my first impressions are very positive. It does look like there will be earlier marks appearing judging by the inner gear doors, thinner prop, flat MG cover etc (I guess the fuselage and wings will be completely new sprues unlike Hasegawa's one size fits all approach). The night fighter will be following too.

My tuppence worth on Black 10, when I did mine I found several references that suggested the top colour was a single colour, probably RLM75. The explanation being that JG11 had been experimenting with this colour scheme for high altitude (strange they would be attempting to use an A8 at high altitude though) although I have no way of confirming this. The photos of the wreck certainly appear to show a single colour with a high demarcation and no mottling.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Steve,

no worries, I'm quite curious what can come up about the black 10, although the white 2 in the link you posted looks nice as well...so any info would be welcome :)

Duncan,

I agree. I'm pretty sure I remember Eduard saying that they will mimic their 1/48 offerings. So definitely A-5, through A-9, night fighter version...and maybe even Doras at least we can hope.

By the way, here is a preview of the royal class...with some really nice markings :Tasty: Better start saving now for the whole staffel

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2015-12cz.pdf

• Like 1