Matchbox Mosquito - NF36, 39 Squadron, Egypt, early 1950s

I model at a glacial pace. I started this back in early 2014!! Anyway, here's my Matchbox Mosquito built as an NF36 of 39 Squadron based at Kabrit or Fayed, Egypt in the early 1950s.

The uniquely shaped late NF exhaust shrouds are from HiTech's Stage2 Merlin set. The props and spinners are from Aeroclub and the decals are by Freightdog. The drop tanks are from Paragon. I wasn't happy with the shape of the canopy and reworked it quite a bit. The vac canopies I had to hand were either poor fits for this kit or not any better shape than the one Mbox provided.

This is obviously a simple kit but parts fit well and it looks like a Mosquito to me.

DSCN0786%20Copy_zpsnjjotmh8.jpg

DSCN0785%20Copy_zpswmir6jyn.jpg

DSCN0792%20Copy_zpsjdu0rfmx.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

David

• Like 32

Hello,David - My compliments to you on a grand looking build of your 'Mosquito'.Again,it's a treat to see a classic kit given its deserved treatment which has resulted in a delightful tribute and display of a fine aircraft.A classy classic indeed.All the best,Paul.

• 3 years later...

A superb build, especially considering it is a rather ancient and basic kit.  It really does look nice in those post-war markings.  Still the only two stage Mossie kit in 1/72.  Come on Airfix, you know you want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 12:06 AM, GrimReaper09 said:

Love this build. 

Were the decals part of this kit or an aftermarket set?

Sorry for slow reply.  They are from a Freightdog sheet.

David

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Thank you for posting.  Beautiful kit!! I was wondering, what was the use of the NF.36 in times of peace, in a theatre where there was no particular threat? 

I am not sure but in the early 50s the first Arab-Israeli war was not long over and the Suez Canal was jointly owned by the UK and France.  So it was a pretty tense area and the Canal was a strategic waterway that needed protection. 

My Dad actually did his National Service in the army in the Canal Zone and remembers Meteors there on NF duty.

David

• Like 1