Schlactflieger

Sorry...I can't help with the colours, but I used to know someone that was there that day. His name was Les Sayer and he was a top bloke. Sadly missed!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/71204/Hero-who-crippled-the-Bismarck-dies-aged-93

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262084932973?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-75951445506&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

The camouflage is the Temperate Sea Scheme: Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey over Sky,

Also http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/cleaverswordfish.htm

I think that you'll find this has been discussed on the board before, so a search may be rewarding.

Edited by Graham Boak

Thanks for the information. I did try a search, but found nothing, hence the question, but that could have been me!

I intend to do this scheme using the latest 1/72 Airfix kit. Does anybody know where I can get the decals?

As it was early in the war the lower wings would probably in the shadow scheme of Dark Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey. I think it lasted on FAA and RAF biplanes until about 1943.

It's not as simple as Temperate Sea Scheme.

There were aircraft in two or three types of finish on Ark Royal: Fairey built aircraft still in scheme S1E (assuming that some were never repainted), Fairey built aircraft probably repainted in TSS and Blackburn built aircraft definitely in TSS. The difference between the two types of TSS relates to the position and pattern of the upper surface demarcation on the fuselage side. Blackburn aircraft of this period were all finished with a demarcation that was a smooth curve from the lower wing to engine cowl and a curve from lower wing to tail. In my view, Fairey built aircraft that show a wavy pattern demarcation, where the new lower surface colour was applied over quite low demarcation upper colours (often literally like a naive attempt to draw a wavy sea) were likely to be in-service TSS repaints. This pattern seems to be prevalent on replacement aircraft and this lends support to the view that this pattern is indicative of a TSS repaint. Those that were finished in S1E had a much more subtle uneven demarcation pattern. It is also possible that those finished in a very high demarcation that was straight edged are also TSS repaints. Some of the small number of Blackburn built Swordfish on Ark Royal were ASV equipped, though at least one ASV Swordfish was a Fairey built replacement (and a classic example of the naive wavy pattern camouflage demarcation). Victorious' Swordfish were all Blackburn built, except one, which was Fairey built. I've not seen a photo of this one, so it could still have been in S1E. There were also differences in the style, position and colour of codes between the four Swordfish squadrons.

I've a chapter that discusses this in detail in the probably never to be published Bismarck Air Story book. I need to find a way to get this into the public domain that would not compromise the book should it ever be published.

• Like 3

There is a nice book by Mark I/4+ publication called Bakers Dozen, which includes info, photos and decals for 13 various Swordfish machines.

There is also one Bismarck attacker - "4A" piloted by de Graaf Hunter.

It is classic TSS with light grey undersides and straight, high demarcation line. IIRC the only special thing are yellow (or interpreted as yellow) wheel discs.

Actually 4A was probably still in S1E, rather than TSS (hence the Sky-Grey undersurfaces in the 4+ decal sheet). However, it would not be possible to rule out Sky as this aircraft has a very high straight demarcation and in my experience at this stage of the War this is often indicative of the lower surfaces being repainted - though in this case the aircraft serial looks to be applied over the undersurface colour rather than being left on a small panel of the original colour (which seemed to be the preferred in service short-cut). The latter is a good indicator of a repaint, though the absence of this feature does not mean that the aircraft had not been repainted and serial re-applied.

A photograph of the aircraft that I found in a donated photograph album at the FAA Museum, is reproduced in Fleet Air Arm Camouflage and Markings p.146. Despite what I wrote then, I think the wheel discs were probably blue rather than yellow (and the colours probably represent flight colours). The wheels have white-walled tyres and the code was probably medium grey or blue ( the latter I now feel is more likely). I found the photograph not long before the book went to press and was in two minds whether to include it. I rather wish I hadn't because I now know much more about the markings applied to other Ark Royal Swordfish of this period and have found another good photo of 4A. I would now go for blue wheel discs and codes and Sky Grey undersurfaces.

Edited by iang
  • Like 3

thank you very much again. could you advise me on approximate blue shade of those codes/wheel discs?

I have the book you mention at home, the photo is the same as the one reproduced in the Bakers Dozen book - with the same conclusion ie gray codes.

I understand you will probably not disclose the other photo, but could you at least tell if it shows anything else unusual? :)

The code looks to be the same colour as the blue of the roundel. The photo in FAA Camouflage and Markings was taken on ortho film, or pan film with a warm filter, whereas the other one is on pan film. The two different films help confirm the blue colour of both code and wheel disc. 4A is repeated in small font on the underside of the top mainplane outboard of the outboard struts.

HTH

Edited by iang