1/72 Cyprus National Guard Mi-35P

Pappy

Great detailing Pappy, it's coming along nicely.

This is going to be a stunner when finished!

Hear, hear! I'm impressed by the many detail touches (a boot for the tail skid!) and am looking forward to the next progress shots.

Andrew.

Thanks fellas!

Only some small progress today. I spent today painting the canopy frame black. This is the interior colour but will also serve as an undercoat for the topside colour. I couldn't find a mask set for the Has kit so I decided to go all 'old skool' and paint it by hand.

007_zpsd7wx1qpb.jpg

006_zpskiwkfwvv.jpg

That was surprisingly fun and easy (compared to masking canopies), but you do need a good eye (preferably two!) and a steady hand.

Another test fit - just because

001_zpscn2qokuf.jpg

003_zpssem412kz.jpg

I have also added the two strengthening strips found on the forward right fuselage since Hasegawa didn't bother,

005_zpsm3obp7ng.jpg

More bits of PE stuck on, this time the various antenna base plates

018_zpseqjwzd37.jpg

019_zpsvnqcw3mx.jpg

Finally, there is another bump on the underside that was missing. I started with some half round stock and sanded the ends to suit

020_zpsqfwyarp7.jpg

The canopy has been dipped in some Future so while that is drying, I began work on the things sunder wings

The kits supplied four of the smaller UB-32-24 rocket launchers and four 9M114 rockets.

012_zpswip65byf.jpg

011_zps7oras0uu.jpg

The pics of CNG birds I have seen all have the same load, two of the larger B-8 B20A rocket pods on the inner stations and a pair of the 9M114's on the outboard pylons. I had a rummage through the stash and robbed a pair of the B-8 B20A launchers from a Zvesda Ka-29 kit.The PE set includes a part for the back end of the rocket launchers. It is far too big for the kit supplied UB-32-24 rocket launchers, but does fit the Zvesda B-8 B20's perfectly!

010_zpsfrlbamnx.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

009_zpspgzjn3lx.jpg

G'day people,

A little more done today. I have been working on the spinny bits. The main and tail rotors have been painted up.

012_zpshgsvqdo4.jpg

013_zpskh2tsosz.jpg

Eeeek! Those close ups show all the mistakes - hat will need a few touch ups!

The main rotor blade upper colour was modulated to add a little more interest

014_zpsoimkhg6s.jpg

The UB-32-24 rocket pods have been painted (even though these will not be used), they don't look too bad. I am sure I can use them on something else.

015_zps6jkbnoyf.jpg

016_zpsyrcaeazv.jpg

The larger B-8 B20A's also got a lick of paint

018_zpskuxzbiro.jpg

The kit supplied 9M114s are awful and the three part construction is a pain.

The modified nosewheel unit has been assembled. The retract strut was cut off and a PE scissor link was added.

021_zpslwwdgiad.jpg

Additionally A PE brace was added to the rear, replacing the retract strut previously removed

019_zpsw5aaeehk.jpg

I also noticed that the tail was missing a small antenna of some sort. I cut a slot in the tail and added the new antenna using some scrap styrene,

007_zpszfkx4mut.jpg

008_zps0cczbrzq.jpg

Some additional detailing was added to the area around the exhausts

002_zps6ir8cuus.jpg

004_zpsfua67sly.jpg

The canopy has now been attached. I added some cabling inside as well a the two cooling fans and a few handles. I forgot to take pics.

022_zps479wd7xg.jpg

023_zpsarmuo8az.jpg

024_zpsgtdjo3cr.jpg

Finally, a pic with the cockpit door temp fitted - just because!

025_zps7ygfgxaq.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

Funnily enough I am on Cyprus at the moment and one of the Hinds flies over regularly to the Akamas peninsular. In recent years it's been a dark green colour with fluro orange panels. The one today was in a rough painted white with no markings. Looked like it was painted with a yard brush!

Cheers

DSJ

Edited by vandy1

That's cracking Pappy, another masterpiece in the making.

Dan

Steady on, my head will get too big!

Funnily enough I am on Cyprus at the moment and one of the Hinds flies over regularly to the Akamas peninsular. In recent years it's been a dark green colour with fluro orange panels. The one today was in a rough painted white with no markings. Looked like it was painted with a yard brush!

Cheers

DSJ

Pictures or it didn't happen :P

Lovely work Pappy. This is looking every millimetre as mean as the real machine - ace :goodjob:

Cheers Col!

I missed the start and almost the end of this great build Pappy :thumbsup:

I am amazed at the level of detail you put into your builds and the subject matter you work on.

It is nice to follow another one of your builds.

G'day Ray,

There is a whole lot more that I could have added given the large glass bubbles that are the canopies, but I didn't want to spend too much effort on the Has kit. I am starting to regret that I did not go with my original plan and use the Zvesda kit as a base. Still, I am finding adding all the missing bits fun in a sadistic kind of way :)

That is looking well impressive now!

Martin

Thanks Martin, not too much more to do now....

G'day people,

After watching the Wallabies get toweled up by the Kiwis in the rugby, I could not go back to sleep. There has been one job that I have been putting off until now, and this seemed like the perfect time. The twin fixed 30mm cannons are a key recognition feature of the Mi-24P/Mi-35P. I glued on the gun fairing fairly early on during construction

029_zps5fzxew2a.jpg

However before doing so I removed the twin barrels and put them to one side.

001_zpsxexb3lj0.jpg

The kit gun fairing had the barrels simply emerging from a flat front wall, so I cut away the front wall and added an interior bulkhead that I had previously drilled to accept the 30mm barrels. Of course, I could not just simply attach the original kit barrels to the modified gun fairing - that would be too easy!

Instead I spent my time turning this:

002_zpsjln5q73q.jpg

Into this!

005_zpspeuvcynv.jpg

I was going to use the original kit flash suppressors and just replace the barrels with brass tube, but the suppressors looked a little anemic, so I made new ones from stretched sprue. Once I had two that were about the same, they were drilled out and cleaned up.

The biggest issue was that Hasegawa did not include the fwd barrel support. This looks like an "A" frame set sideways with a "B" shaped bracket through which the barrels pass. It took a few attempts but I managed to come up with something acceptable ( don't look too closely!). There is also a small tube like object just aft of the right pitot probe. I don't know what it is but I added it all the same.

004_zps67nrtcew.jpg

The underside also received another lump.

006_zpsqxvboxhf.jpg

I had sanded this feature off whilst filling the lower seam as it was just easier to do this and replace the lost detail than fiddle around all the lumps and bumps.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Looking forward to seeing the paint going on this!

Martin

Me too!

Great little bits of extra detail Pappy and the guns look magic for better than anything you'd get in the kit.. It's coming together very nicely.

Colin

Cheers Colin

A small update today,

I have decided to substitute the kit rockets for some Zvesda items

005_zps05vfg6mc.jpg

Apart from being more delicate, they will also fit better with the Zvesda racks

001_zpscrs0nbtr.jpg

003_zpsuvx6eny1.jpg

That brings the construction stage to an end.

The next stage will be problematic because my next big problem will be sourcing markings. The CNG Mi-35P markings are pretty basic, a pair of standard HAF roundels, the yellow 'DANGER' warnings on either side of the tail rotor and a pair of small white Cypriot national flags on each side of the tail boom. The last item is going to be the hardest as I am hopeless with computers and no one that I am aware of makes these decals....

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

very nice progress!

I think the rockets you show are amybe a different type...

the thinner one on tee left looks like an AT-6 Spiral / 9K114 Shturm anti tank missile

005_zps05vfg6mc.jpg

Edited by exdraken

very nice progress!

I think the rockets you show are amybe a different type...

the thinner one on tee left looks like an AT-6 Spiral / 9K114 Shturm anti tank missile

005_zps05vfg6mc.jpg

G'day Ex,

I think that you are correct, the smaller one on the left is definitely an AT-6, I am not sure what the larger one is supposed to be? I want to load four per side, so I will raid the Zvesda kit and use the AT-6's,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Mick,

Thanks. I have tried using the masks designed for the Zvesda kit. Some 9like the corner panel in the last pic) almost fit perfectly. Some of the min canopy area masks can be modified as they are supplied as edge masks. By cutting these in half, you can adjust the fit to allow for any dimensional differences. Unfortunately, the windscreen masks are a little too tall and a shade too narrow. That is why these were not masked yet. I think I will try to make new ones from some frisket film,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

Well, I sprayed the main colour on today,

028_zps3hmd1grq.jpg

The forward fuselage was first sprayed semi-gloss white and left to dry, before masking off the step access areas (the white stripes).

030_zps3qyjqkzk.jpg

031_zpsri0smna6.jpg

032_zpsdeuh365x.jpg

033_zpsf2wn1l1l.jpg

I have noticed a few spots that will need a re-spray as I did not give them enough coverage. The inner faces of the weapons pylons are proving to be a little recalcitrant in this respect, but otherwise, she is starting to look like a mean machine,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9