Italeri Stirling MK1(& Guitars !), Will it make it to Telford !

Cheers Paul I don't mind talking about other bits while the parts dry.

On the subject of Stirling's it looks like I'm making W7442 it says on the kit that it did not have the upper mid Turret but there are also optional parts for the dome viewing blister behind the canopy can anyone confirm if this should be present or deleted ?

Andy as for what I have Guitar wise im very lucky to have a fair few including a Universe which may be the one I brought to yours not sure (black one with the mirror scratch plate) however I do also have these my Jem 20th, black and white RG20051 and my own made Ibanez RG Jem hybrid I put together myself from Ibanez spares swirled by Al from Out of this Swirled :)

5039820B-31F2-427C-A4F6-3DA058CF38BB_zps

6DEBFFDE-48DD-472E-ADAB-E0F6D0C83EEE_zps

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Yep you bought up the Universe and Jem 20th...awesome stuff, thought I had Vai in the room !....was a lot of fun, think the dogs only just got his hearing back ! Love to have a butchers at the latest edition to the family !

Last guitar I built was 6 years ago, the black explorer using a custom built body(ash) to Gibby specs, slim Jackson neck and board, though action completely revamped by yours truly, Kluson machines, Bill Lawrence L500-XL pickups, genuine Floyd nut and Gibson pots, wiring and dials from original trashed explorer bought off Evil-Bay..lacquered to within an inch of its life...beautiful axe..sold it some while back. Really would like to have the time to build another.....

• Like 2

You should build another Andy I bet you could also make a fair bit of cash doing it. Customs are always popular these days more so with so few guitars being hand built.

I have always like the explorer. I do like Gibson's and Fenders but for my my favourite guitars are the ones that do what both of them do and more such as Ibanez, Kramer, Jackson, Charvel, But every guitar if made right has something special.

I have a Squire Strat classic Vibe 60s one that come out at the start of the Global Financial Crisis. Back then the Mexican Fender strats where about 399.99 then suddenly jumped to 699.99 but the quality of the guitar went right up too. However the Squiers did too and we had a fresh batch of new Fenders and some old ones I tried them all and the Squire Classic Vibe Strat was by far and a way the best one. Much like the initial Squires which where also better than fenders way back in the late 80s and Early 90s.

Its true expensive guitars are great but Its also true that a great many more average guitars are in my opinon not far off and perform well. Sometimes better.

Amps and gear you run through makes more difference in my experience.

So much stuff out there now :)

Having been building and repairing for more yeaers than I would like to own up to I do get to see some interesting things, This was at a Philly Fall Guitar show about fifteen years ago. The Strat is one of only two lefties known to have been owned by Jimi and he gave it to Steve Stills, it was a very nice feeling guitar

Hendrix%20lefty_zps9lgwsbrv.jpg

• Like 5

Nice Strat's Melvyn and I would not want to guess the Value of the Hendrix strat but it must be around 50 grand at least. The Maple neck on the other one looks amazing.

Edited by robvulcan

Very nice Melvyn...that Strat is something rather special ....especially if it's still sprinkled with some of Jimi's rare magic !

Rob, my friend Paul bought a late eighties Mexican Strat for almost half what he paid for an earlier US one...oddly it played twice as nicely ...go figure ! I've always loved the look of the original Explorer, 'Vee' (not bastardized things that pass for Vee's nowadays) and especially the Firebird III (I owned a sunburst '76 re-issue for a while),as you know but the nicest guitar I ever played around with by far was a '59 sunburst LP standard..such a rich, warm sound matched with unbeatable sustain...only problem was the owner wanted £8,000 for it !

• Like 1

You would struggle to get a 50s Strat in that condition for $50K without the Hendrix connection. I don't know what it went for but it would have been at least six figures.

The maple neck on my one is very nice and I have another being made at the moment which is as nice. I do have a Melvyn Hiscock Guitars Facebook page. There are some nice Tele's for sale too

• Like 2

Very nice Melvyn...that Strat is something rather special ....especially if it's still sprinkled with some of Jimi's rare magic !

Rob, my friend Paul bought a late eighties Mexican Strat for almost half what he paid for an earlier US one...oddly it played twice as nicely ...go figure ! I've always loved the look of the original Explorer, 'Vee' (not bastardized things that pass for Vee's nowadays) and especially the Firebird III (I owned a sunburst '76 re-issue for a while),as you know but the nicest guitar I ever played around with by far was a '59 sunburst LP standard..such a rich, warm sound matched with unbeatable sustain...only problem was the owner wanted £8,000 for it !

You should have bought it, until 2010 they were the best return on an investment pretty much. Highest I heard for a good one was $620K . The crash bought them down so a good '59 would be about $220K still a good return on £8K!

• Like 2

Gorgeous sunburst LP's there March, wish I'd never sold a gold top I had back in the seventies, beautiful sound, (or for that matter the SG, or the Firebird or the V....oh well).........

Thanks! I've also got a gold (Murphy) aged R6 Les Paul also that's a lovely guitar. I've only recently got back into Lesters having been a Strat and PRS man for many years. The in the 2nd picture is my favorite though. It's the only time where I've chosen all the woods, the electrics, neck carve, get size etc. Basically, if it turned out sounding awful I'd only have myself to blame. Thankfully the build is impeccable thanks to Ron Thorn's genius and it sounds, and plays every bit as good as it looks.

Edited by March
  • Like 2

You should have bought it, until 2010 they were the best return on an investment pretty much. Highest I heard for a good one was $620K . The crash bought them down so a good '59 would be about $220K still a good return on £8K!

The ex-Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul changed hands for a seven figure sum about three years back. 59's with provinence still command very high sums.

• Like 1

You would struggle to get a 50s Strat in that condition for $50K without the Hendrix connection. I don't know what it went for but it would have been at least six figures.

The maple neck on my one is very nice and I have another being made at the moment which is as nice. I do have a Melvyn Hiscock Guitars Facebook page. There are some nice Tele's for sale too

Very nice Page Melvyn I love the Blue tele with the Bigsby trem what a great combination !

'Will it get to Telford...' With all this guitar chatter, no!!!!!!!

Well I have a gig tomorrow night. I have made a start opening out the windows and that's taking a little time. It is actually the longest job as far as I can see. After that I can do a bit more of an update.

In the mean time can anyone provide me with any photos of W7442 or MGM as this is what I wish to model and I need to check the details such as windows.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Ha, Melvyn...that was back in the early seventies when I didn't have two pennies to rub together...that was a Lot of cash back then, though I seriously thought about selling a kidney at the time.....hindsight is such a wonderful thing !

Rob, good luck with the gig, not that you need it....I'll have a good look in the 'library' later and see what I can find, other than that pm John and see what he has...

• Like 1

What a thread! Guitars and Stirlings, wish i had found it sooner.....

I've had some lovely guitars and amps over the years, but over time they got sold off. Some i don't regret selling, but i miss my old Marshall dsl401 (that thing could sing!), and i had an Epiphone Les Paul standard. I tried that and a Gibson in the shop at the same time and i honestly preferred the way the Epiphone felt and played... Would still love a Gibson though.

Anyway, i put some Gibson 490t pick ups in it and through the Marshall it was sublime. The amp got sold, the guitar got nicked :(

Currently in the stable is my trusty Epiphone Explorer with emg 81/85 pick ups. This is it with a buddies BC Rich -

292275_376547789061454_1143029526_n_zpsc

I've had it for 13 years and i will never sell it, the wife bought it for me as present. (Can you tell i'm a huge Metallica fan...) It could do with a new nut and decent set up now though, its been well used!

Also have a cheap Squire Telecaster that cost me £120 - It cost peanuts but is amazingly nice to play and doesn't sound too bad either. I'll end up modding it with different pick ups hardware over time.

Amp wise, i've whittled it down to a Blackstar HT1R - 1 watt, which sounds pitiful but its still loud enough to annoy the neighbours (and wake my kids up). I'm hoping to start playing with a few people again soon though, maybe get a band together, so i'll have to get something with a few more decibels....

Oh, and i still have my old Line 6 Pod xt kicking around somewhere, all the amps and effects you could ask for.

Sorry for going on, just loving all the guitar talk!

And the Stirling is looking great too Rob!

Nick

• Like 2

Lovely Nick, particularly the explorer, should sound good with the EMG's..I had those fitted to an SG and it sounded so sweet with plenty of bite, (I hasten to add that I am more into building than playing a Rob will testify).Epi's generally sound and play really well, (fixed quite a few), but there's just something about the Gibsons. My favourite of many was the deep sunburst '76 Firebird...it just looked sooo goood ! Wish I'd never sold it.....

• Like 1

I really shouldn't drop these into a thread about Stirlings, and that kit DOES look fun but...
myoeg_zps6iopgyck.jpg

I sold a few of these over the years, it looked after me better than the Hurricane book has!

A few from years ago. This lot is comfortably into 7 and possibly 8 figures now when added up

59s_zpsijrdadsx.jpg

58s_zpsgggylfnj.jpg

wanna%20buy_zpsgnzzxrjo.jpg

and , perhaps, the reason I have been looking back today was (and you read it here first) today I ceased to be the owner of this lady. A hard and upsetting day

Cloudfly1.jpg

• Like 5

A Rearwin Cloudster!!! I hope at least she went by your choice and not of necessity. I completely understand how you must feel, my dad and I had to sell the J-3 with which he taught me to fly.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler