Revell 1/48 Tornado IDS Luftwaffe

At Sea

Going to undertake a WIP thread for the first time.

Started this build of the Revell 1/48 Tornado last week and have managed to get the cockpit finished before heading back to work so there will be a couple of weeks delay until I get ashore again & can finish it.

Many many years ago I built the Revell 1/32 Tornado when it first came out, I made a predictable hash of it as I was about 12 and have always wanted to build it again as an adult. However most of my other models are in 1/48 so a 1/32 aircraft would look odd in my cabinet. I was delighted when a decent Tornado came out in 1/48 so I can build the box art that inspired my attempt all those years ago.

I have the kit. Decals from HaHen for a Tornado IDS, cockpit and masks from Eduard and the Master pitot probe and AoA probes.

I have been scouring the internet for source material.

The very useful TornadoSiG site has helped with colour matches and I am using Xtracolor enamels airbrushed for the Camouflage.

• 3 weeks later...

image_20.jpeg

I got on a bit of a roll last night and made a lot of progress.

Test fitting is the order of the day, and tape up a stage and test fit the next one before comitting to glue. The fuselage is a complicated box and small fit issues will magnify. I have used no filler at all so far and am quite pleased with the result.

I only stopped to take some pictures at this stage as this is the first deviation from the instructions I have made...

image_21.jpeg

The instructions call for the spine ridge and intake tops to be glued to the fusealge top before they are fitted together.

Test fitting showed the area around the back to the cockpit to be very crowded and so as I am going to model mine cockpit closed I decided to cut off the spurs behind the cockpit and this allowed a little more lee way in the area.

Also note that at this stage the forward fuselage is still not glued to the sides to allow as much movement as possible during fitting.

image_23.jpeg

Better with the spine on.

image_24.jpeg

Canopy in place.

This really is a satisfying kit to build. Not easy but it really rewards concentration and thought.

• Like 2

image_27.jpeg

Perfect nose weight, for reference 10 euro cent and 1 euro cents. Make 40 g including the blutac. :-)

Reminds me of the 'Blue Circle' radar the F2's had during the prototype stage.

• Like 1

image_29.jpeg

Decalled and waiting for a matt coat.

Final assembly by the weekend.

My first ever go with a dual action airbrush so the camouflage pattern is not 100% correct, but it looks like a Luftwaffe Tornado.

Norm '83 3 tone green looks so mean in my opinion. Very mean.

• Like 1

image_28.jpeg

Thanks to the HaHen decal sheet giving you all the available IDS and ECR codes I have managed to relicate the box art.

One note with the HaHen decals is although they are very good, there is no separation of carrier film so you have to be very precise in cutting them out.

• Like 3

man-vegetables man-vegetables man-vegetables.

Banged on a coat of Humbrol Matt Cote and...

...the decals all silvered.

Tried to touch them in with a little Klear but no good. :-(

I guess the matt cote lifted them a little as it dried. Thankfully between the kit decals and the remains of the HaHen set I have enough to re-do them but not as 44+43 from JagBo 32.

I gave the whole kit a light wipe over with some sand paper and will coat in Klear before having another go.

Edited by At Sea

man-vegetables man-vegetables man-vegetables.

Banged on a coat of Humbrol Matt Cote and...

...the decals all silvered.

Tried to touch them in with a little Klear but no good. :-(

I guess the matt cote lifted them a little as it dried. Thankfully between the kit decals and the remains of the HaHen set I have enough to re-do them but not as 44+43 from JagBo 32.

I gave the whole kit a light wipe over with some sand paper and will coat in Klear before having another go.

I've had this myself too once, since then I always seal with gloss and then put a matt cote. This will probably prevent the silvering.

Good luck repairing!

• Like 1

I very carefully used a bit of decalfix to wet the varnish over the decal and then peeled them off.

I then used a fine sanding block to remove the 'edge' around where the decals used to be.

A carefully brushed on coat of Klear resulted in a reasonable finish.

Kit decals and the remains of the HaHen set will give me enough to finish it.

Phew!

As Flyingdutchman says, I will also always Klear over decals from now on.

image_30.jpeg

Fixed it!

Very happy indeed with the fact that although it is not quite as perfect as I would like it is 100% better than it could have been!