1/48 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird by Hypersonic & GasPatch Models - 3D renders in progress

Homebee

8 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

I really find enjoyable the type of comments: if it gets released I will buy 3-4... 10 of those...

Because most of those, will never materialize, at least not in the mentioned numbers.

This one will be a big birdy and a kind of in a unique category of its own. So I would not expect a very big number of buyers. At least not like those for a Spitfire or a Mustang. Therefore a price, to make it worth producing, will be at the high end. Keep that in mind.

I have 4 of the -71's and 2 of the YF-12's from Testors............

17 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

I really find enjoyable the type of comments: if it gets released I will buy 3-4... 10 of those...

Because most of those, will never materialize, at least not in the mentioned numbers.

This one will be a big birdy and a kind of in a unique category of its own. So I would not expect a very big number of buyers. At least not like those for a Spitfire or a Mustang. Therefore a price, to make it worth producing, will be at the high end. Keep that in mind.

Agree with Luciano - people are always claiming stuff like that - hardly ever happens. I don't think Jeffrey or others take the easily exitables too seriously. 

Some potential tough competition though, Revell I mean - it would be good if the cottage industry (no offence) takes on the mainstream and wins, in my opinion deservedly so considering the mediocre quality at least of some of the Revell kits in recent years.

21 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

As someone who (a) really loves the SR-71 and (b) has over many years bought many kits in multiples, I'd have to agree - at least to a point.

Pretty much all of my 'multiple purchases' are driven by colour schemes - if there are a lot of interesting schemes for an aircraft then I can easily be persuaded to buy more than one kit (particularly in 1/48). This isn't going to be the case for the SR-71; just like the Ford Model T, Lockheed/the USAF pretty much decreed that you could have any colour as long as it's black (well, maybe very dark blue, but you get my point).

I'll definitely get the Hypersonic/Gaspatch kit - if it's anything like as good as the recent Hs 123 then there'll be no contest as far as Revell goes (based on Revell's most recent releases anyway). The Revell one will probably be cheaper, but a decent 1/48 SR-71 is something I've waited so long for that I'll happily pay whatever Hypersonic/Gaspatch ask. (Also, the Gaspatch Hs 123 wasn't expensive for what you got for the money.....in my view anyway).

What I really want to know is this - who's going to be the first to do a SR-71 in 1/32? That'd be a really 'big birdy'! 

Edited by hopkp

1 minute ago, hopkp said:

What i really want to know is this - who's going to be the first to do a SR-71 in 1/32? That'd be a really 'big birdy'! 

Combat Models has one.

Not a brand, a warning.

No need to thank me.

S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, MarcV said:

Some potential tough competition though, Revell I mean - it would be good if the cottage industry (no offence) takes on the mainstream and wins, in my opinion deservedly so considering the mediocre quality at least of some of the Revell kits in recent years.

It really doesn't matter to most buyer about revell quality, it will be their massive distribution network that will guarantee that they will sell more kits than a limited producer, how many 72nd messerschmitt 109 g-6 has revell sold compared to the better AZ version but i believe there is a market for a mass produced and a limited run kit to appeal to more discerning modellers as eduard compete with themselves on this with weekend and profi kits . 

On 15/09/2020 at 11:22, gavingav said:

It really doesn't matter to most buyer about revell quality, it will be their massive distribution network that will guarantee that they will sell more kits than a limited producer, how many 72nd messerschmitt 109 g-6 has revell sold compared to the better AZ version but i believe there is a market for a mass produced and a limited run kit to appeal to more discerning modellers as eduard compete with themselves on this with weekend and profi kits . 

I agree.

Hopefully the smaller producers will also need less sales to be profitable and survive and also finance their next project.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 18:33, sinistervampire319 said:

I have 4 of the -71's and 2 of the YF-12's from Testors............

Comment #1: Obviously you have a soft spot for this birdy! I myself cannot stay away from buying anything new for EA-6B. So I get it.

Comment #2: Sell all Testors, because this new beast from either producers will be 1000 times better than anything in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LUCIANO007 said:

Comment #1: Obviously you have a soft spot for this birdy! I myself cannot stay away from buying anything new for EA-6B. So I get it.

Comment #2: Sell all Testors, because this new beast from either producers will be 1000 times better than anything in the past.

Yeah I went to 2 airshows at Beale including the last one. 
Yes I will on the SR's. But will hang on to the YF's until I hear one of them is going to do one as well.

Alan

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

...as the question popped up in another thread, just to confirm:

Despite the approach of a "competitor's kit" :)  the development of the GasPatch/Hypersonic Models SR-71A is still going on. We are both small companies and as such both have the same problems but also the same advantages. We are on the same page in terms of what we want the model to be like and if you know GasPatch's kits (look at their recent Me 163 for instance) you get an idea what that is.

We are both very limited in time resource though - we can't work on more than one large project (i.e. full kit) at a time, while at the same time handle all the day-to-day business like resin casting for me, 3D printing for GasPatch. So things take their time...perhaps a bit too long, but that's they way it is and we're soldering on.

All sub-assemblies, details and various options are ready in CAD and are now being integrated into one and prepared for tooling. I do hope that this process will be completed by autumn, fingers' crossed. :fingerscrossed:

As the work currently taking place is of a very "technical" nature I haven't been sharing much as there just isn't that much excitingly new to see. But I'll of course report of any new developments as they come along.

In the meantime, get some more AG-330 start carts, you want them for the "other" kit as well, don't you?? DONT YOU??? :lol:

Cheers,
Jeffrey

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird by Hypersonic & GasPatch Models - 3D renders in progress
2 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

(...) In the meantime, get some more AG-330 start carts, you want them for the "other" kit as well, don't you?? DONT YOU??? :lol: (...)
Jeffrey

Here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235051413-148-ag-330-start-cart-injected-by-hypersonic-models-released/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

[...] 

In the meantime, get some more AG-330 start carts, you want them for the "other" kit as well, don't you?? DONT YOU??? :lol:

Cheers,
Jeffrey

Do you plan to make them available thru Gaspatch's store as well? 

11 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

...as the question popped up in another thread, just to confirm:

Despite the approach of a "competitor's kit" :)  the development of the GasPatch/Hypersonic Models SR-71A is still going on. We are both small companies and as such both have the same problems but also the same advantages. We are on the same page in terms of what we want the model to be like and if you know GasPatch's kits (look at their recent Me 163 for instance) you get an idea what that is.

We are both very limited in time resource though - we can't work on more than one large project (i.e. full kit) at a time, while at the same time handle all the day-to-day business like resin casting for me, 3D printing for GasPatch. So things take their time...perhaps a bit too long, but that's they way it is and we're soldering on.

All sub-assemblies, details and various options are ready in CAD and are now being integrated into one and prepared for tooling. I do hope that this process will be completed by autumn, fingers' crossed. :fingerscrossed:

As the work currently taking place is of a very "technical" nature I haven't been sharing much as there just isn't that much excitingly new to see. But I'll of course report of any new developments as they come along.

Cheers,
Jeffrey

Delighted to hear this; I have no doubt which kit will be the better one and definitely don't mind waiting a bit longer for an SR-71 that's done to the same kind of standard as Hypersonic's accessories and Gaspatch's kits (the Hs 123 and Me 163 are in a league of their own - well, I think anyway!). And yes, before you ask, I bought my AG-330 a long time ago.....I now just need the SR-71 to connect it to!

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/pfbid02Vyu1WvQSGR7fkjQP3HM5pdHP7TNueNccdYu915jQ96LKsbTv9WhPJCEVnautBKuTl

SR-71 work is continuing at pace. We hope it won't be too long before we can reveal a few more exciting details.

Neither GasPatch Models nor Hypersonic Models will attend this year's Telford SMW, but in the meantime, make sure to visit our friends at the DBMK/Armory Models/Dora Wings stand where you can (hopefully) find this poster as well. They can be found in Hall 2, middle isle end 2B.

314042432-467266815390431-18396193211320

V.P.

• Like 4