1/48 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird by Hypersonic & GasPatch Models - 3D renders in progress

Homebee

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels?fref=nf

Right then, no more hints and subtleties lets be bold and just put it out there:

Im working on an all-new, injection moulded (plastic, not resin!) SR-71 kit in 1:48. Work started in early 2014 and includes a mountain of reference material, several measuring sessions at Duxfords Sled and most recently a 3D scan of the cockpit area (see my profile pic, thats a mesh render of the scan). I realise that this is quite a lot to chew for me in particular as this is my first who...le kit design and Im working on my own, besides running Hypersonic Models and a normal job. I also realise that I run the risk of being brushed aside and labelled a fantasist or delusional, but Im VERY (V.E.R.Y.) determined with this and Im slowly starting to see the fruits of my labour (i.e. the CAD is starting to take shape). I have a few people to give me extremely valuable advice and support (in terms of both research and design) and I do know that this whole undertaking is extremely expensive so I might not do this completely on my own. Its still a long journey ahead, but I will get there. Any comments, advice, support and input are of course more than welcome!

And the story doesnt stop there I have a U-2A/C kit planned (most likely a multi-option kit). Extensive research and measuring has already taken place at Duxford (but is still continuing in other parts of the world) and as soon as Telford is over Ill start drawing. I do have other kits planned (all 1:48), but dont want to reveal anything else just yet.

The unfortunate episode with the T-33 has of course thrown me back a few weeks and has put a sizable dent into my budget (the cost of the 3D scan). Had I heard even the smallest rumour that GWH were making one I would have concentrated all efforts on the SR-71... But thats hopefully just a small cough at the beginning of this new chapter. Onwards and upwards.

Cheers!]

314042432-467266815390431-18396193211320

Jeffrey you're a :mike:

Be aware:

- Tanmodel has a 1/48th SR-71 Blackbird in project - ref.2203 - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967245-tanmodel-172-148-132-projects/page-2

- HobbyBoss is working on a new tool 1/48th U-2R Dragon Lady - ref.81740 - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972800-148-lockheed-u-2r-dragon-lady-by-hobby-boss-in-20152016

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Yes, "Homebee" is always faster than I am, it's from my own Facebook page. I haven't got anything on my main website/web shop as I want to keep this dedicated to my aftermarket range. There is still a long journey ahead so I don't think it makes sense to clutter it with a new side of my business that's still in the making.

Normally I don't like talking about "unfinished business", but it seems like there's a trend to make announcements quite early on these days, not only to build interest, but also as a marker for other companies to see what's being worked on. This of course can also backfire when a larger company then quickly "snatches" the subject away from you... As new guy I think I have to take this risk. I kept quiet for a long time, but the T-33 episode has shown me if I had talked about it at least someone might have contacted me to tell me that there's one in the making somewhere else already.

Jeffrey

• Like 3

Sign me up for one too.....I've wanted a good 1/48 SR-71 for years, will allow me to re-live many happy memories of Mildenhall 'Air Fetes' in the 1980s-1990s! Only option thus far has been the truly horrible Testors/Italeri effort. Could never understand why no mainstream manufacturer hasn't tackled this one so far.....

• 4 months later...

News: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/976238569128846

I wanted to give you a little sneak peak into the ongoing CAD work at Hypersonic Models. My SR-71 announcement last year wasn't all talk, I am actually working on it. Progress is slow as I only have a few hours spare each week, but progress IS being made. In fact I have passed a major shape difficulty and that is the outer wing with its characteristic leading edge dip and the fillet into the engine nacelle. Some fine tuning still needs to be made, but the shape is there and it looks good to me. Note that the exhaust nozzle petals are in the "closed" position in the pictures, so that may look a little unusual for a Blackbird at rest.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

CADs!!!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/1158907870861914

At last, I've made some good progress on the SR-71 CAD. Compared to the earlier CAD images I've shown, pretty much everything has been re-built, lots of mistakes and shortcomings eliminated. I still need to refine the inner wing/nacelle fillet and build the proper edges around the elevons, then I can finally move to the fuselage. Of course everything is still devoid of external and internal detail (except for some intake and exhaust ducting), this will come later. I do I have some detail position markers already though to help with the shapes.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...