1/48 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird by Hypersonic & GasPatch Models - 3D renders in progress

Homebee

:frantic:Werner!

We've got to sell my 1/48 Italeri kit + Metallic Details inlet cone, grilles/jet nozzle, and landing gear sets and don't forget the Lone Star Models Afterburner Cans set as well!

Everything is going on auction on evilBay. Question is, how much for the whole meal deal?

To put along the future HM or the Italeri 1/48th SR-71 kit, Aircraft in Miniature Ltd (AiM) has just released a dedicated AG-330 starter cart - ref. GE48047

Sources:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48047

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page138.html

GE48047.jpg

Also in 1/72nd

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE72047

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 10:18 PM, Breaker said:

Having had some Hypersonic bits before, I'm looking forward to this, promises to be excellent!

+ 1

Madcop

Can we convince you to do it in 1/72 too? Pretty please? My old Italeri SR.71 had a wonky nose from day one, and that wasn’t down to my rubbish construction 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:15 AM, Homebee said:

V.P.

@exdraken Werner, WERNER...!!! :frantic:We've got to sell my Italeri 1/48 Sled kit +... (wait a tick; haven't I said this, already?).

Well, the ASARS II nose does look the part, and with that strange kink on the edge of the chine as well, where the detachable nose limits with "they're" forward fuselage.

You see...??? :nodding:

I should go to the Facebook page to encourage the blokes at Hypersonic Models for their work.

Cheers,

Uh-huh2

Hi, @Mike & @Homebee. How's it hangin,' my bruhs...?

Yeh, Jeffrey, YEH! Me likes. :worthy: 

Can't wait to see more progress (hyperventilating sort of like that afro-american bloke dying at the Cyberdyne lab in Terminator II - Judgment Day; y'know, the one who triggered the blast when the blue cavalry came in).

Cheers,

Unc2

Thank you for the attention - I hope it'll be good enough to live up to the hype! 😊

Rest assured though, progress is being made! Currently fine-tuning the cockpit area and then integrating all sub-assemblies into one unified exterior shape. Then it's on to interiors and details, by which time we need to think about manufacturing aspects as well (wall thicknesses, detail orientation, tolerances...). Updates in due course!

Cheers

J

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, snapper_city said:

I thought I read somewhere that Tan Model were planning a 1:48 SR-71 at some point.

Aye!! They were also "planning" a Buccaneer as well (among other things)!!. They had a very ambitious programme  but, I wonder if it was perhaps a bit OVER ambitious? Certainly, we haven't heard much about the afore mentioned Buccaneer!  I suspect this SR-71 may actually queer Tan Model's pitch a little? 

Allan

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Thank you for the attention - I hope it'll be good enough to live up to the hype! 😊

Rest assured though, progress is being made! Currently fine-tuning the cockpit area and then integrating all sub-assemblies into one unified exterior shape. Then it's on to interiors and details, by which time we need to think about manufacturing aspects as well (wall thicknesses, detail orientation, tolerances...). Updates in due course!

Cheers

J

Honestly Jeffrey!  By offering three different "nose jobs" you surely cannot be expecting us to buy multiples of said kit??:lol:. I know you will have your hands full with this project but, dare I suggest another couple of "nose jobs" - namely the single seat A-12 and, YF-12 (yes, I know there's more involved than just a nose job!:lol:) - for perhaps the future? Whatever, top marks for producing a very long overdue kit. Best of luck with it

Allan

• Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/1765941446825217

Today the exterior shape has been finalised and all sub-assemblies are put together. It's been a lot of work to get here...Everything looks so smooth and organic from a little distance, but there is no single simple surface on this plane (ok, perhaps the rudders). 
Now all the detail will be put in/on.

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

On 7/3/2018 at 7:26 AM, Albeback52 said:

Honestly Jeffrey!  By offering three different "nose jobs" you surely cannot be expecting us to buy multiples of said kit??:lol:. I know you will have your hands full with this project but, dare I suggest another couple of "nose jobs" - namely the single seat A-12 and, YF-12 (yes, I know there's more involved than just a nose job!:lol:) - for perhaps the future? Whatever, top marks for producing a very long overdue kit. Best of luck with it

Allan

I think it’s a case of “Put me down for three, nay, four...”.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:26 PM, Albeback52 said:

Allan

As much as I'd like an A-12 kit myself, I don't think it's viable as an injection moulded kit. It would require probably something like 80% new tooling and as such make it a whole new kit (and investment), but for a much smaller market. Testors/Italeri wrenched all variants (except the A-12) from the basic SR-71 kit because they didn't know any better (at the time), but you can't do that without making major sacrifices and compromises on accuracy.

Even with a totally new forward fuselage, to get to an A-12 you'd still need to change the tail cone and all associated fillets between wing and fuselage, all the RAW panels around the wings, the cockpit and the wheels (not sure about the nose wheel bay, there might be differences as well).

J

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:26 AM, JeffreyK said:

As much as I'd like an A-12 kit myself, I don't think it's viable as an injection moulded kit. It would require probably something like 80% new tooling and as such make it a whole new kit (and investment), but for a much smaller market. Testors/Italeri wrenched all variants (except the A-12) from the basic SR-71 kit because they didn't know any better (at the time), but you can't do that without making major sacrifices and compromises on accuracy.

Even with a totally new forward fuselage, to get to an A-12 you'd still need to change the tail cone and all associated fillets between wing and fuselage, all the RAW panels around the wings, the cockpit and the wheels (not sure about the nose wheel bay, there might be differences as well).

J

Hi there, Jeffrey, my mate!

In all honesty, I think it's much easier to turn the old Testor/Italeri 1/48 Sled kit into an A-12 than it is to correct it to make it look like a SR-71. I've been struggling with that kit for quite a long spell now - fpr which I've bought every resin bit from Metallic Details, Loon Models and Cutting Edge. not to forget the rather basic True Details cockpit.

I'm following your progress because I real want a good replica of this bird in 1/48th scale. It looks awesome so far!

Say, Jeffrey, are you using the old 1/48 Testor Sled kit for measurements? This enquire is just to learn whether or not the last Metallic Details inlet cone (or the undercarriage) sets might fit yer kit. It's such a waste to graft those onto the Testors/Italeri kit. 

Cheers,

Unc2

Heavens, NO! The Testors kit doesn't get anywhere near my project. All data come from first hand measurements and a 3D scan of the real aircraft plus manuals and other Lockheed drawings and tons of photos. My kit will come with a full inlet and exhaust/AB detail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2018 at 17:46, JeffreyK said:

Heavens, NO! The Testors kit doesn't get anywhere near my project. All data come from first hand measurements and a 3D scan of the real aircraft plus manuals and other Lockheed drawings and tons of photos. My kit will come with a full inlet and exhaust/AB detail.

Holy Mother, this is going to be THE kit for this bird then. Well deserved being such an iconic subjet. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, JeffreyK said:

Heavens, NO! The Testors kit doesn't get anywhere near my project. All data come from first hand measurements and a 3D scan of the real aircraft plus manuals and other Lockheed drawings and tons of photos.

That's awesome news, Jeffrey! There's been no way I could ever replicate that kink on the chines of the fuselage where they meet the ASARS II nose, and every and each attempt looked odd while the scartchbuilt nose was glued to the rest of the forward fuselage.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, JeffreyK said:

My kit will come with a full inlet and exhaust/AB detail.

:analintruder: That means my collection of 1/48 SR-71 aftermarket sets ought to be published on evilBay right away!

Cheers, J!

Unc2

• 4 months later...