1/48 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird by Hypersonic & GasPatch Models - 3D renders in progress

Homebee

:frantic: Looking good!

Ouch, (I've) knocked all of the furniture in my way, running like mad to the computer from the backyard, when I saw this thread on first page again. My left knee is bleeding and my right leg hurts. Ripped my pants (must have hit that bloody iron spinning wheel my sheila put as decoration in the living room); the marble top on it is smashed on the floor (sheila ain't be cool about it, methinks). Wow! One of her bentwood chairs also lies beaten down; obliterated...

Oh, well. This mammoth project by Jeffrey is worth every rebuke by my sheila, I guess.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's just a one man team to be honest,  and with 3d renders still being shown I would guess that there may still be a fair wait before we have the "ultimate " SR-71 kit. Have patience and build some of you stash in the meantime!!

Jeff 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you!

If anyone spots anything questionable, any mistakes, something wrong with the design, please don't hesitate to speak up! I'm only human and will (or have already) make mistakes. If stuff gets spotted before it goes to tooling it can (within reason) still be changed or at least be looked at.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

😍 Oh, mein Gawd! Jeffrey, this is looking very, very good with each passing post. :frantic:

10 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

If anyone spots anything questionable, any mistakes, something wrong with the design, please don't hesitate to speak up! I'm only human and will (or have already) make mistakes. If stuff gets spotted before it goes to tooling it can (within reason) still be changed or at least be looked at.

I guess it's the ASARS nose which is depicted in here?

56711134.jpg&key=2bd1cd564976bf5e236c034

Been battling with the awful nose in the 1/48 Italeri kit for over a decade now, and I think I might have started to tame it. Could you please post an image of this same nose looking from the upper front? I've spotted where the chines begin to curve by taking the front cockpit as a reference (had to add 2mm in height to the front fuselage on the Italeri kit, as well as modify most of the curved portion of the chines on it so as to adapt the new scratchbuilt nose - an OBC one).

I could always provide you with some pictures so that you'd dig what I'm going on about more precisely.  

The lines on the lower panels seem to be quite okay.

Cheers Jeff :cheers:

Unc2

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

😍 Oh, mein Gawd! Jeffrey, this is looking very, very good with each passing post. :frantic:

I guess it's the ASARS nose which is depicted in here?

Been battling with the awful nose in the 1/48 Italeri kit for over a decade now, and I think I might have started to tame it. Could you please post an image of this same nose looking from the upper front? I've spotted where the chines begin to curve by taking the front cockpit as a reference (had to add 2mm in height to the front fuselage on the Italeri kit, as well as modify most of the curved portion of the chines on it so as to adapt the new scratchbuilt nose - an OBC one).

I could always provide you with some pictures so that you'd dig what I'm going on about more precisely.  

The lines on the lower panels seem to be quite okay.

Cheers Jeff :cheers:

Unc2

Hi Unc,

many thanks, but indeed I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about :hmmm:... The Testors/Italeri kit has a completely wrong shape, both in profile and plan view. It's notably too narrow and pointed (more like an A-12) and, as you say, the cockpit section is too flat. So any nose you try to fit onto the Testors kit will look very different to my design, unless you have substantially reworked the forward fuselage as well. The chines begin to taper roughly in the area of the nose wheel well, so aft of the cockpit.

But anyway, here are:

the OBC nose:

OBC%20Nose.jpg

The SLR nose:

SLR%20Nose.jpg

and the ASARS nose:

ASARS%20Nose.jpg

I hope this helps ??

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Like 8

Well, Jeffrey; it looks to me that your noses look quite the part! :clap:

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, JeffreyK said:

The Testors/Italeri kit has a completely wrong shape, both in profile and plan view. It's notably too narrow and pointed (more like an A-12) and, as you say, the cockpit section is too flat. So any nose you try to fit onto the Testors kit will look very different to my design, unless you have substantially reworked the forward fuselage as well. The chines begin to taper roughly in the area of the nose wheel well, so aft of the cockpit.

That's what I meant; there are a lot of corrections to do on the Italeri Sled kit, but basically two which have to do with the forward fuselage and nose: augmenting the height of the cockpit and design a new nose to go with that new height. I've got the piccies at home, so most prolly will get to post 'em tomorrow.

Here's a good piccy of the OBC nose:

zpsnePP.jpg 

The angle at which it was taken is different, but I'd say yers looks very much the same. 👍

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, JeffreyK said:

the OBC nose:

OBC%20Nose.jpg

I hope this helps ??

Yeh, it does help a helluva lot, thanks!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Anticipation by Caracal Models :)

- ref.  CD48100 - SR-71 / YF-12 Blackbird : Part 1

Source: http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48100.html

Our new two-set series for the iconic SR-71 / YF-12 Blackbird aims to bring affordable, high-quality Blackbird decals to the market once again. We designed this series to cover the entire career of the SR-71 family over the years. The first sheet, CD48100, includes markings for SR-71s in early USAF service, as well as YF-12/A-12 interceptor prototypes and the M-21/D-21 drone setup for good measure.

The options on this decal sheet are:

• A-12B 60-6927 "Titanium Goose
  • A-12 60-6928
  • M-21 60-06940 (D-21 drone "mothership")
  • YF-12 60-06934
  • YF-12 60-06935
  • YF-12 60-06936 record breaker
  • SR-71 61-17955
  • SR-71 61-17956 "1000th Sortie"
  • SR-71 61-17961 "Bald but Bold"
  • SR-71 61-17964 "The Bododian Express"
  • SR-71 61-17967
  • SR-71 61-17970 "Super Skater"
  • SR-71 61-17971 "W'ere the Fakawee"
  • SR-71 61-17972 "Charlie's Problem"
  • SR-71 61-17974 "ichi Ban"
  • SR-71 61-17976
  • SR-71 61-17978 "Rapid Rabbit"
  • SR-71 61-17980 "Rosemary's Baby-San"
  • SR-71 61-17956 "Gumby"
  • D-21 drone "501"
  • D-21 drone "505

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

- ref. CD48101 - SR-71 / YF-12 Blackbird : Part 2

Source:  http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48101.html

The second sheet in our SR-71 series features a comprehensive selection of USAF SR-71s from the later period of its service. In addition to several well-known tail artwork from the later period of SR-71 operations, we provide markings for both USAF SR-71 Blackbird that were reactivated after 1993; and markings for all SR-71s operated by NASA.

The options on this decal sheet are:

• SR-71 61-17958
  • SR-71 61-17960
  • SR-71 61-17962
  • SR-71 61-17967
  • SR-71 61-17968 "Dolby DBX" tail art
  • SR-71 61-17971
  • SR-71 61-17972 (final SR-71 flight)
  • SR-71 61-17973 (initial toned-down scheme)
  • SR-71 61-17974
  • SR-71 61-17979 "Night Hawk" tail art
  • SR-71 61-17980 "Dartboard" tail art
  • NASA SR-71 61-17971 interim tail marking
  • NASA SR-71 "831"
  • NASA SR-71 "832"
  • NASA SR-71 "844"

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

Anticipation by Caracal Models :)

Ooooohhhhh... :doh: 

I was hyperventilating just like that when I saw this thread back in the first page at the Rumourmonger section.

Not that new decals ain't welcome, V.P., but thought it was news with regard to @JeffreyK's kit.

Cheers,

Unc2 

I think the walkway and hatch/panel outline decals may be a problem as well as perhaps the NASA livery, but the rest of the tail art, numbers and stencils will certainly be usable as they're not outline/shape specific. Our kit will come with its own decals of course so you can supplement the ones from the Caracal sheet that won't fit.

J

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I think the walkway and hatch/panel outline decals may be a problem as well as perhaps the NASA livery, but the rest of the tail art, numbers and stencils will certainly be usable as they're not outline/shape specific. Our kit will come with its own decals of course so you can supplement the ones from the Caracal sheet that won't fit.

J

Hi Jeffrey,

Will your kit come with decals for the Duxford example? 

Cheers,  

WV908

1 hour ago, WV908 said:

Hi Jeffrey,

Will your kit come with decals for the Duxford example? 

Cheers,  

WV908

We haven't decided that yet. Once we get to tooling we will look at the marking options. With only 29 SR-71's, Kursad has narrowed the field quite a bit for us though. However, tail art was usually short-lived and liveries changed...

Cheers,

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I really find enjoyable the type of comments: if it gets released I will buy 3-4... 10 of those...

Because most of those, will never materialize, at least not in the mentioned numbers.

This one will be a big birdy and a kind of in a unique category of its own. So I would not expect a very big number of buyers. At least not like those for a Spitfire or a Mustang. Therefore a price, to make it worth producing, will be at the high end. Keep that in mind.

Edited by LUCIANO007