Big Bertha coming from Takom

Andy Moore

There's a big'n!

Looking forward to your rendition of it, Andy - assuming, of course, you are going to build one.

I'm sure one will find it's way to my bench eventually :winkgrin:

Oh wow!!!! I'll certainly be purchasing that- although I;ve got no idea where I'll put it- that 21cm Morser isn't exactly a small model...

Finally, I think some big British or French artillery must be in the offing now.

Will

Takom haven't been shy about doing British WWI subjects so far, so some artillery seems like a good bet

Andy

Another case of political corectness speech - i know this howitzer as "Fat Bertha/Dicke Berta" not Big Bertha.

"Dicke Berta" was translated into English as "Big Bertha" long before political correctness was even thought about. I suspect itwas the alliterative effect. The expression Big Bertha has been a kind of metaphor for any oversized version of something. I had a gigantic fishing float called a Big Bertha and another friend had a Big Bertha golf club.

There's also an Osprey Vanguard volume (205) on these guns, which I've just bought and read, so no excuse now.

Oh, and I think it was the Germans themselves who nicknamed it the Dicke Berta- fat Bertha. 'Big bertha', if papers like 'War Illustrated' are anything to go by, was certainly in common British usage during the war- to describe any big german artillery.

Will

Edited by Killingholme