Lotus 72C

Just finished this today, it's the 1/20 Ebbro kit. It started out as the Rob Walker version, so I used Tabu decals to convert it to Rindts car

The driver uses the head and helmet from an EJan set with scratch made body- it's really tricky to squeeze a driver into that chassis though!

IMG_9659_zpsi7eh22zm.jpg

IMG_9653_zps3ialillb.jpg

IMG_9674_zpse981uid0.jpg

IMG_9672_zpsbe4gmf2f.jpg

IMG_9630_zpsymv0v9iq.jpg

IMG_9631_zpsatprlgaa.jpg

IMG_9645_zpspnnpjfuc.jpg

Three down, lots more to go:

IMG_9687_zpstcriftfi.jpg

• Like 11

Absolutely cracking - a fine example. Pure Colin Chapman weight saving genius.

Can't remember this much, but my first ever British GP at Brands Hatch in 1970 - Rindt won in this car.

An epic tussle with Jack Brabham, retaking the lead on the final lap.

Bravo! That's really excellent. If you pencilled in a fine moustache I swear that driver would pass pretty well for Graham Hill!

Cheers,

Roger

Haha my first thought was 'That looks just like Graham Hill'!

Being a product of 1970 myself, I've always had a soft spot for this driver / car combination.

I truly do not possess the skills to build model cars like you have, however when money permits I'll seek out a good quality die cast version of this to add to my cabinet.

Lovely build.... Cheers.. Dave.

Great work Rizzo

I am inspired.

I have picked up a Rob Walker 72 on e-bay and aim to finish it in Graham's colours.

Can I ask what paints you used ? ( Including the monococque and exhausts etc and any detail up sets )

You have laid down the marker

Regards

Dave

Great work Rizzo

I am inspired.

I have picked up a Rob Walker 72 on e-bay and aim to finish it in Graham's colours.

Can I ask what paints you used ? ( Including the monococque and exhausts etc and any detail up sets )

You have laid down the marker

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave :) You'll have fun with this kit, the quality is right up there with Tamiya, maybe even better.

For paints I used these:

20151027_083903_zpsejkxokph.jpg

Mr Color paints for all the airbrushed paint, and citadel or vallejo for the brush painted engine/chassis bits.

I usually use Alclad for chrome, but it seems to work much better over enamel than it does over acrylic, so I've started using MrColor super metalic (SM08). It's great stuff too- much more durable than Alclad and easy to use.

I didn't use any detail up sets specifically for the 72- I really don't like the photo-etch stuff much, and wouldn't have wanted to try it on the rear wing of this car in particular- was hard enough to line up as it was. What I did use:

EJan Lotus 79 DFV set- not 79 specific at all, it has the trumpets and Lucas fuel injection system, and is a big improvement over the kit parts

TopStudio resin hose joints

TopStudio rivets for the rear wing

Things to look out for:

-The screw that holds the engine to the fuselage didn't line up the rear section correctly- I had to join the sections without this with the wheels all in place to be sure it was aligned

-Not much else