Mustang Mk. III, 309 Squadron - a Schwalbe killer, Academy 1/72

JWM

Hi,

The 309 Squadron (Polish) RAF was formed soon after BOB, initially for recce purposes, finally converted to recce-fighter role. A brief history is described here:

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/309/309_story.html

At the end of war they got N.A. Mustangs Mk III of late variant (like P 51 C) with enlarged fin area rather rare among RAF Mk IIIs.

This squadron was (AFAIK) the only one RAF squadron on piston driven machine who scored victories on German jets Me 262 Schwalbe. The model is presenting machine of F/Lt Mieczysław Gorzula, FZ111, WC-V, "Jean" who shot down Me 262 at 9 April 1945.near Hamburg. The 309 Squadron was based on Andrews Field and belong to 133 Wing.

The nose art "Jean" is hand painted other decals from drawer.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

p51c DSC05686p51c DSC05685p51c DSC05683p51c DSC05684

P.S.

Kit Academy 1/72 with Malcolm hood by Monogram (which I liked more then the Academy one)

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 25

Nice Jerzy, I've this kit plus some decals for Polish Mustangs, I'm keen to do the machine of your name sake, Jerzy Mencel who also shot down a 262 on the same date. More info on this here . Your kit might just persuade me to dig these out & get on with it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

Its a nice thing to have you back to town, Yes Sir!!!

I was wondering about you and is nice to know you are in good shaoe and producing as always.

I have two of this little gem, one from the Tuskeegee Boys and another I bought from a friend, and was trying to sell one, the otrher, not the Tuskeegee, to a coworker who was persuaded to go into the hobby by me more than a year ago, but looking at yours, definitely will tell him that it would be not possible. ;)

I remember once I have has a Microscale set dealing with Czech flyers in the RAF, unfortunetely I sold the set asconsidered that I won't reached interest in them and the guy who bought it was hooked in make a RAF foreigner planes including some Canadians, Polish. Czechs and others. Now looking your wonderful work, think it was right as I didn't knew the honor that the Polish Mustang flyers from the 339 dealing with Me 262 maybe will look for one too as do Stevehnz!!!. Obviously, your nice work always is full of inspiration!!!

As always, thank you very much for sharing your work and hope your absences are not so long and continue to sharing all your nice Miniature Museum here.

Cheers and nice Sunday,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1

Thank you Beard, Cookenbacher, Steve, Luis, Old Thumper for comments and for likes.

Steve - very interesting thread from 2013 you've linked to :)

Greeting from sunny today Krakow

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 3

Another nice one from you impressive collection, J-W! I always like the Mustang in camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Out of sheer coincidence, just today I received Airfix's beautiful little F-51D kit - I'm going to do it in Dominican (La Republica Dominicana) camouflage and markings.

• Like 2

Thank you Jason and Eht1418 for kind comments :)

Jason - the Dominican P51 is not seen evryday, so I am waiting to see her :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy,

nice to see that you are back and posting again! Interesting Mustang!

Is it from the Academy "Old Crow" kit? Have it in the stash for several years and hope the decals will still work should I ever build it.

Have a nice evening,

Mario

• Like 2

Thanks Mario for nice words :).

The decals in kit were US ("Princess" and another one) and Chineese, here is link to box:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/107319-academy-1616-p-51c-mustang

I have some pause in posting my collection indeed, since I posted already 250 models, so if there are old left they needs more efforts to make them "publishable" even if my threshold of self criticism in not very high... And current production is limited - the time after summer holidays is rather busy at work... Currently I am constructing some scratch works like DH 84, Hart Trainer and Hartbeeste as well as more stright from the box Hawker Hector and Northrop BT 1 (Valom). Novertheless - no one of this set is shake and bake cake :) :)

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 3

Hi Jerzy,

thanks for the info.

I think the only difference between the two kits is the decal sheet. Nice to hear that you are scratchbuilding again. I´m also working on three projects. Matchbox AH-1G Cobra , old Airfix Invader and Hobbycraft Sabre (no shake and bake either :))

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi Jerzy!!!

After the confusion in the Monogram post that lead me back here to check, I watched a little thing:

I am feeling that the kit Jerzy have used its notthe same Old Crow moulds as the box art has a fin fillet one depicted, so think the only variant is from the parts related to rear fuselages... and the Scalemates timeline sez the kit is the same, but has to say New Parts instead...so to make something like this, Uncle Mario will have to borrow the fin fillet from a Heller old but nice D kit or make the fillet from scratch...thing not so complicated for him at the light of his recent builds.

I will have to look deeply inthe spares part departament to locate the referred Heller part from a Downed in Action one.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thanks Gents for comments.

Luis - nice story - BTW - with fin fillet I am going to do opposite - an early P 51D without it to be done from Airfix kit which has it. But to remove is easier then to add :) :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

A very nice build of an unusual Mustang and one of the lesser known Polish squadrons in the RAF. Just for the record Tempest Vs and Spitfire XIVs knocked down a fair few Me262s (and Ar234s) and I think a Mosquito got one too.

• Like 1

Thanks Gents for comments.

Luis - nice story - BTW - with fin fillet I am going to do opposite - an early P 51D without it to be done from Airfix kit which has it. But to remove is easier then to add :) :)

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy:

I think its nice idea, but for example, as with my case having no less than three old Heller kits in the stash, that BTW I don't want to get rid of for sentimental reasons...

http://www.model-making.eu/zdjecia/5/5/4/1363_1_hlr80268_1.jpg

is easier to try "Ferocious Frankie" as look here building the Old, Ancient, Archaic but for me lovable and wonderful original Heller kit stock without adding the fin as here:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/165/pics/3_329.jpg

Another choice could be the nice Lou IV: http://www.markstyling.com/p51s/P-51d.68.jpg

In between comments, my "To build list" seem to feel nice increasing... :)

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso

Luis, indeed "Lou IV " is very likely to be the final choice, since I have a soft spot on her -I did this painting scheme already once, in my very early days of modelling using for this the old series I Airfix kit (very poor and not accurate, BTW). Then she went to people, what was nice since otherway it would be a bit ambarsing to me to heve this model still on shelvs...:). However there is problem with this paintings scheme - no one know for sur if she was olive drab or dark blue from top. Moreover - this particular Mustang was not flown by any ace and she is know only because she is on a good photos like some celebrites :). Therefore I am not 100% decided yet...

Cheers

J-W