A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

Debs it is important to have these feelings

We all appreciate what you're saying but as Keith is saying your comments simply cant raise a 'like'

But we do LIKE what you mean

Maybe we need an [i know what you're saying] button as well

Dont be too low for too long, or we'll have to send the boys round

maybe lend them my car so you can have a little therapeutic fettle with her.........

• Like 1

And, just maybe, had they done something similar with Nimrod, it might still be in service? (unless replaced by MRA4 in a perfect world of course!)

I had a mate who was on the design team at Woodford when they installed the first refuelling probe to the Nimrod for the Falklands war. They routed the single skinned pipe into the fuselage through the cockpit escape hatch knowing full well that they had broken nearly every rule of Air to Air Refuelling installations in doing so, but it was war and the system was needed. the installation could (and was) redesigned later. The other AAR success for Woodford during the Falklands was the Vulcan tanker, from request to flight trials in just over a week!

• Like 2

Debs it is important to have these feelings

We all appreciate what you're saying but as Keith is saying your comments simply cant raise a 'like'

But we do LIKE what you mean

Maybe we need an [i know what you're saying] button as well

On a model railway forum I visit (don't tell anyone I said that...!!) they have a number of these 'buttons'. When first introduced, replacing the single like button, everyone poo-poohed the idea saying they'd never use them, what a wastte of time, etc etc. Now I think everyone thinks they're a great idea! You have the usual like, together with agree, thanks, funny, clever/craftsmanship, informative useful, & friendly/supportive....

Keith

• Like 7

To those of us that fly/flew Her Majesty's aircraft, IFR does indeed mean Instrument Flight Rules.

Or, to those of us who flew helicopters, I Follow Railways. When the air gets full of foggy stuff and you cannot see, why climb? Grub Navy!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Is there a recommended purveyor of these books?

They are not always easy to find even on this side of the pond, but a few minutes of Googling produced a copy of the Barracuda volume available from Amazon.com (not .co.uk).

They often turn up at model shows and/or museums - the excellent bookshop at Newark (Notts, I'm afraid, not N.J.) air museum has been a good source for me in the past. If you're after any specific volume, just let us know and I am sure one of us will find a copy. I am still missing the Wyvern (No 1), Scimitar (No 2) and Sea Hornet (No 5) volumes, so I always keep an eye open.

They are not always easy to find even on this side of the pond, but a few minutes of Googling produced a copy of the Barracuda volume available from Amazon.com (not .co.uk).

They often turn up at model shows and/or museums - the excellent bookshop at Newark (Notts, I'm afraid, not N.J.) air museum has been a good source for me in the past. If you're after any specific volume, just let us know and I am sure one of us will find a copy. I am still missing the Wyvern (No 1), Scimitar (No 2) and Sea Hornet (No 5) volumes, so I always keep an eye open.

You could always try Bookfinder.

Is there a recommended purveyor of these books?

Sorry, missed this PC.

Ad Hoc used to sell them directly from their website, but Google doesn't seem to find it any more, so I don't know whether they're still going?

Over here at the moment, Hannants have some in stock;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7879&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

As do Bookworld ;

http://www.bookworldws.co.uk/publications-m-57.html

Heaven only knows what postage to you would be, although they are soft covers & some are quite slim volumes.

Keith

PS, just did a quick search for the Hunter volume on Ebay.com, it came up with this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ad-Hoc-Publications-From-The-Cockpit-No11-Hunter-Mac-McEwen-/191692377667?hash=item2ca1c18e43:g:DFIAAOSwsB9V-Snb

It's from Models for Sale over here who I've dealt with many times, & have given unfailingly excellent service. They are apparently offering free international shipping on it. Searching on the individual titles you are interested in might be your best bet...

a few minutes of Googling

You could always try Bookfinder.

PS, just did a quick search for the Hunter volume on Ebay.com, it came up with this

I have been shamed by my lack of industry. Somewhere Lord Tebbit frowns disapprovingly and knows not why. (I always wondered if anyone ever made decals for his Vampire from his RAF days -- one could do a dogfight double with it and whatever Tony Benn flew.)

• Like 6

Hunters IIRC.

Can't have been Hunters, I don't think, as Benn was in the RAF during WWII. I've heard several suggestions, ranging from Spitfires to Lancasters, but no definitive proof of any.

Never knew the Dark Lord was a pilot though (Tebbit that is). Learn something new every day.

RAF and BOAC in the early 1950s.

Hmm. I was sure I recalled seeing a TV interview with Benn when he claimed to have flown Hunters. A quick google shows you are correct though & he resigned his commission in 1945. Doubt he saw much, if any, combat though as he wasin South Africa (if Wiki is to be believed that is!)

IIRC his brother was killed in a landing accident in a DH Mosquito.

Yes, that is right. I think Benn was still under training when the War ended. I thought he was demobbed. Tebbit flew Meteors I think.

I spent '83 to '86 at Laarbruch in Germany.

Lots of very realistic exercises.

Yes, we took it seriously.

And yes, the chemical threat seemed worse.

Oh, just caught up, BTW.

Coming along for the ride.

On a comfy seat, thank you.

• Like 1

On another note, any Father who reads Kipling to his offspring is an absolute hero in my book.

Hear, hear. My Grandpa was a major Kipling fan, and knew I liked him so left me all the books when died. I still love them. Deeply unfashionable, but still a wonderful writer.

I heard Tony Benn speak when I was at University. He was a charismatic and engaging orator and debator and I enjoyed it enormously - but all the time he was speaking I'm thinking - your arguments are wrong - I know they're wrong but I just need about an hour to figure out why they're wrong.......

I never had any difficulty at all figuring out why Norman Tebbit was wrong.....

Edit:

Thinking about it that probably makes me a slightly left-leaning woolly liberal?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5