A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

Ah well things have changed a lot in all those years Steve, lining up outside for tickets at 05.30 hrs in the pouring rain, frozen, (or overheated, gasping for breath), squashed onto a carriage with 4 times the max capacity where the only place of safety and relative comfort is the Khazi, 'food'...what food ?, no elbow room to read the paper, rattling and banging to every stop from here to Timbuktu, turning blue with the diesel laden air before creaking and groaning into London St Pancras 2 hours late and then the same rigmarole at the pig pen at the other end of the platform, and repeat.......things have changed a lot......I 'spect !

I'm right here for you PC.....just watch your step.....they'll be an exam at the end of it !

• Like 1

Not to mention... the BR sausage roll... :weep::zombie:

From what I recall of yer average BR sausage roll, they've have made fantastic nose weights. Talk about lowering your centre of gravity in one "delicious" (it sez 'ere) mouthful!

• Like 3

Good job PC, nice looking 'pit... has anyone done the 'valiant effort' pun yet to echo your title? No? Oh well, it's only a matter of time... :)

...that brings back some horrendous memories courtesy of '70's British Rail !

I for one would feel much happier and safer travelling on British Rail in the 70s and 80s we had proper Traction then oh how I miss all the locos, 20s, 24/25 , 37, 40, 50, 55, 56, etc all beasts I would rather travel behind a Class 37 or 47 on MK1 and MK2 carriages than the current "Vomit Comets" complete with ripped seats, heroine needles, Destroyed Toilets, Ticket collectors with attitude and a hefty ticket price.

Getting old and missing the days everything was painted in that lovely shade of British Rail Blue :)

Can't believe you use caviar as a noseweight...

Viv

HAHAHA Spat my Coffee laughing at that one !

• Like 2

Yes, but Rob I usually had to be shoe horned into a 1950's issue Diesel Multiple Bog Unit....the asthmatic Austin Allegro of the chuff chuff world...

Good old Met Cam DMUs they always sounded like a mad man in cuff-links and chains to me !

I was told by my mates dad who used to be a guard that the best thing about the old DMUs was the sliding seat backs that could be adjusted for direction of travel. Apparently if a drunken fight started you could easily rip out the seat and give said drunk a right good pummelling. I am told it was sport in the 70s :)

Oh my gosh, Fritag, a mid-air collision! that sounds rather traumatic.

Not to mention... the BR sausage roll... :weep::zombie:

You have food on your trains? Or at least, things that can be eaten? Metra, the commuter rail network for the Chicago area (currently holding the rail network for ransom so it doesn't have to make federally-mandated safety improvements) has no such amenities, though they did manage to buy engines that break down not only in high heat and humidity, but also in extremes of cold. Seeing as Chicago is favoured with both (-45 C in winter last year, 32 C during part of the summer), they might have at least had the decency to pick one.

Ditto. Much is expected from you PC - particularly as you have the General's personal input at every stage :)

Yes, that's the fear. I generally benefit from low expectations.

• Like 2

Do anything with Mini A series' Debs?!

An A Series is an A Series to me whether in a Mini or a Midget. Note: I don't do gearboxes. Gearboxes are the very work of the Devil and only Black Magic works upon them.

The 1380cc motor in our racing Midget puts out something of the order of 150 bhp and revs to 8000rpm. When we did the rolling road runs after the initial build we had to strap it down - it jumped off the rollers at 6000rpm (and on slicks too!).

• Like 2

Yes, that's the fear. I generally benefit from low expectations.

That reminds me of a rather famous line in an RAF F1369 (Officer's Confidential Annual Report), possibly apocryphal:

"This Officer sets himself low standards and consistently fails to meet them."

• Like 2

That reminds me of a rather famous line in an RAF F1369 (Officer's Confidential Annual Report), possibly apocryphal:

"This Officer sets himself low standards and consistently fails to meet them."

Ah, my abridged biography.

• Like 4

Hmm

A gentleman will never discuss his consideration of a lady's wobbly bits or even her pins without extreme aggravation, in public

So I won't

But a lady might never have assaulted his sensibilities with discussions thereof

;)

Anyway best ignored that bit then, PB the massive amount of caviare and lead weights should be enough to do the trick I reckon

I do like your little hedgepig, a real little sweetie

We have our own garden wanderer who keeps returning to munch the animal and vegetable life that abounds under the bug ridden apple tree, he first (I assume it to be him ) arrived a year or two ago as a mere infant and ate us out of biscuits, milk and dogfood for an afternoon then promptly climbed into a gap between my house and next door's about two inches wide and ascended to six feet above ground level for a kip

Later on he climbed back down and used the bricks I placed for him to climb two flights of stone step up to the garden proper

Now he or his offspring return for occasional forays in the gloom

Debs I wish your thriving metropolis was easier to access from Brummagem, I would take you up on the offer to reinvigorate Lara the Midget

Keefr, Debs was known to me many years ago as a lady guru of the Midget world, long before she popped up on other fora that I visit so I have no doubt she would work miracles on any A series challenge she accepted

As it stands Debs she seems a bit low on compression, averaging 130 psi ± 5 so I intend a little attention tappetwise firstly then maybe pulling the head for a look at the valves

Bores were good when I looked inside a few thousand miles ago

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

An A Series is an A Series to me whether in a Mini or a Midget. Note: I don't do gearboxes. Gearboxes are the very work of the Devil and only Black Magic works upon them.

The 1380cc motor in our racing Midget puts out something of the order of 150 bhp and revs to 8000rpm. When we did the rolling road runs after the initial build we had to strap it down - it jumped off the rollers at 6000rpm (and on slicks too!).

I shall be back when my son finds his wallet. May take a while...

150 brake....mmmmmmmmm!! (50% more than she has now!!)

• Like 1

Yes and that was only the start of it...when Steve was modestly recanting the tale to me at Cosford it all sounded rather hairy to put it mildly !

Indeed it did.

I had lunch today with a couple of Fish'eads & 3 other WAFUs (on the thinnest of thin pretexts that it is Trafalgar Day ). One of the Cod-bonces was one I had never met before, but had (as a passenger) survived a Lynx crash that sounds horrendous. Early HAS2 of Avenger Flight, routine trip in the Gulf to bring the CO & Ops back on board after a briefing. Control restriction en route (subsequently found to be a major problem with the mixer unit), which basically meant the cab wanted to go nose up & to the right regardless of control inputs. A short time later, about half a mile from the ship and at c.600', the aircraft stopped responding altogether, rolled inverted, lost its tail rotor and fell into the sea after 3 revolutions...

And all 4 of them survived (albeit badly hurt - the pilot broke his back and never flew again), which is a major testament to Westlands' designers. This was late-70s, I think, when the Lynx was brand new. I had read about the accident but never even met an eye witness, late alone someone who was in it.m

Pretty sobering.

There are also the 'From the cockpit' series by Ad Hoc. They do a Scimitar volume. I have that one together with the Wyvern, Gannett & Buccaneer S1 titles. They're also full of pilot (& groundcrew) tales, and also lots of lovely well printed piccies, together with nicely done colour profiles.

These are great books; history of the development and use of the aircraft, stories from those who flew and maintained them, lots of great pictures and a bundle of profiles. Mainly FAA types but at least one other in the Hunter, which may have FAA references but it's the one I don't have.

I can drool over 1380 and 150bhp at my leisure Debs (and keefr) wow

Peter Burgess reckoned I was getting about 90 at the flywheel when he had her on his rollers after a carb fettling

150?

oh wow

Now was it turn left for Wisbech or right after the sixteen foot drain?

• Like 1

Takes me back to happy days at Mallory, Midget Challenge (spectating branch)

Are the Collinsons still at it Debs

PC please accept further apologies for thread drift but you know how it is

When a thread's gotta drift, a thread's gotta...

Oh don't worry about that PC.

Me growing up with a Father in the RAF, a GranDa in the Royal Navy (damn Crisp is going to get so much mileage from that confession!) and a Brother in the Booties (Royal Marines) I was probably not what you might term a 'Girly Girl'. In fact, putting 'slap' on my face (make up) was always a bit of anathema (unless, of course it was Cam Cream ;) ).

My point being that, aside from the fact I rather like Roses I know about the square root of feck all about flowers!

Are the Collinsons still at it Debs

Oh yes. :)

• Like 4

......... A short time later, about half a mile from the ship and at c.600', the aircraft stopped responding altogether, rolled inverted, lost its tail rotor and fell into the sea after 3 revolutions.....

That's a particularly nasty crash. What I find horrible about it is the timescale. 600' of uncontrolled descent to think about what's going to happen when you hit the sea. That's the stuff of nightmares.

Ascoteer, on 21 Oct 2015 - 2:18 PM, said:

Aye Steve, but having read the Incident Report of your 'nasty' the idea that there was, and I quote, fire in the cockpit, is pretty bloody terrifying!

Y'see, there's a significant benefit to being a glider pilot...

• Like 4