A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

Much as I don't want to turn this into an American bashing session mine comes courtesy of an Abrams crew :owww:

Just to level the playing field the two occasions where a younger Ascoteer came close to meeting her maker were courtesy of the Brits.

Sadly for Crisp, on both occassions it was the Royal bloody Navy. I have a feeling that their attitude was to shoot at anything that flies - how you WAFUs managed to survive getting anywhere near one of HM War Canoes is beyond me!

• Like 2

No need to apologise, the saying originated with the French clergy during the Albigensian Crusade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnaud_Amalric

I love the original version, "the Lord will know his own" indeed. (Though Arnaud may have been Catalonian, rather than French.)

Still at work, so nothing further on the Valiant right now, but I leave here in six minutes for home.

• Like 1

For those asking about NBC, or at least the B and C bit (and who never had to deal with the threat of it), might I advert you to the book:

A Higher Form Of Killing (The Secret History of Chemical and Biological Warfare)

by Robert Harris & Jeremy Paxman

Published 21 February 2002

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Higher-Form-Of-Killing/dp/0099441594

Originally by Robert Harris and originally published in 1982

Hint: Do not read late a night if you do not wish to have nightmares. As I said earlier, Chemical Agents (especially Nerve Agents) terrify me.

Edited by Ascoteer

The strangest thing about mustard etc. is that to the people who invented the stuff, it was "a higher form of killing". They genuinely believed (or managed to convince themselves) that chemical warfare was a more humane way of settling wars than the endless carnage of trench warfare. Add the book of the same title ("A Higher Form of Killing: The Secret History of Chemical & Biological Warfare" by Robert Harris (the "Fatherland" bloke) and Jeremy Paxman (yes, that one!) to the list of good books. The interwebs claim it was published in 2002, but I read it at least 25 years ago, so they may have revised / reissued it.

Highly recommended. [Edit: great minds post simultaneously, Debs!]

T.S.Elliot, The Grand Panjandrum, Albigensian Crusade, Whistling Handbag... and somewhere even a Vickers Valiant. Only on Britmodeller!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Nothing multi-engine or rotary yet, plus they have yet to dive into really dangerous things like Javelins, Vixens and Scimitars... but there's still time.

There are also the 'From the cockpit' series by Ad Hoc. They do a Scimitar volume. I have that one together with the Wyvern, Gannett & Buccaneer S1 titles. They're also full of pilot (& groundcrew) tales, and also lots of lovely well printed piccies, together with nicely done colour profiles.

The other rich seam for this kind of thing is the ever-expanding "... Boys" series (Buccaneer Boys, Victor Boys, etc.). I have read several of them. Some are better than others,

I said on another thread that I am awaiting the buggers producing a 'Hercules Boys'.

Then I shall sue the living daylights out of them!

;)

• Like 8

One of the many things I love about this site is the fact that someone can post "like a human version of the Great Panjandrum" and be pretty confident that almost everyone will know exactly what you mean!

I thought you'd like that. :)

• Like 1

Oh

Will I have to pay you direct or will it be OK to pay them first?

he he

That will be good, might even find out who dragged us over to Leipheim in a 130 that sounded even worserer than usual down the back

blimey that place is huge

There are also the 'From the cockpit' series by Ad Hoc. They do a Scimitar volume.

They also do Peter Caygill's excellent Javelin tome Keef, great but frightening stuff, (for Vixen and Scimitar, Tony Buttlers books make good reading).........

I just ordered the Flightpath set so I can do one of the Victor B.1s under "Johnnie" Johnson's command in the 1950s)

Excellent choice Edward, I've also got a 10 squadron B.1 on the go at the mo for our Bomber Command sig courtesy of FP ......60% Matchbox/40% resin, (new tailplane, ailerons, tail-cone and rudder courtesy of my old friend Terry Grey).......weighs a ton..

(Hope you don't mind me plonking a piccy of it on here),

DSC_0127_zpszwamf4nm.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 11

Nitrogen and Sulphur mustards are alkylating agents. Ie they bind readily to DNA - one of the long term effects of exposure to Mustard Gas in WWI was cancer from cellular mutation caused by damage to the DNA. The stuff you are being exposed to Bill will be extremely mutative to DNA, especially to those cells undergoing rapid mitotic division (ie Cancer Cells), so mutative that it results in cellular death rather than cellular mutation.

I hope you are better soon Bill.

Bingo! One of the chemotherapy agents I get, described here, works exactly as you say. The other is made from mouse antibodies and works in an entirely different way. The interesting thing is that they work better together. I love this modern medicine stuff! For obvious reasons, of course. :)

Things are looking good, my nodes are back to normal size and I'm almost back to my fighting weight. Cancer is a heck of a way to slim down though.

Really do hope you are well on the way to a fix Bill, not simply because we Bills should stick together

Thanks - stick together we shall!

I love the original version, "the Lord will know his own" indeed. (Though Arnaud may have been Catalonian, rather than French.)

Still at work, so nothing further on the Valiant right now, but I leave here in six minutes for home.

Arnaud ended up the Archbishop of Narbonne, so one could say he was both Catalonian and French. Besides, borders didn't have the same distinction in 1200 as they do today. The best way to describe him would be to say he was Catholic!

Now, was there a Valiant around here? You should be home by now! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

They also do Peter Caygill's excellent Javelin tome Keef, great but frightening stuff,

Is that the same series Andy? Different publisher, and whilst I haven't actually seen the book, the Kindle preview makes it look like a different format, not so picture heavy? I did enjoy said Kindle preview though & shall see if i can find a proper book at telford to have a better look at.

K

Oh

Will I have to pay you direct or will it be OK to pay them first?

Twern't me

Oh and STOP looking at my legs!

Have I told you Perdu came round mine with decals for my Jetstream and Bulldog builds and all he did was stare at my legs!

Bloody pervert! ;)

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 3

Oh no Debs it wasnt just the legs

:)

I also got to stare at the Dominies too

I enjoyed the visit, hope the decals work for you

(Bit disappointed about the track day, the Midge was down on power from the last time) :(

• Like 1

Dear gods!

So he wasn't just staring at my legs, he was staring at my wobbly bits too?

Is there no shame in the man????

Bill, if the Midget is down on power I can take a look? Afterall Priestess Race Engines rather is what I do...

• Like 1

Have I told you Perdu came round mine with decals for my Jetstream and Bulldog builds and all he did was stare at my legs!

Bloody pervert! ;)

Oh no Debs it wasnt just the legs

Dear gods!

I need an adult. I need an adult! I need an adult!

Excellent choice Edward, I've also got a 10 squadron B.1 on the go at the mo for our Bomber Command sig courtesy of FP ......60% Matchbox/40% resin, (new tailplane, ailerons, tail-cone and rudder courtesy of my old friend Terry Grey).......weighs a ton..

Wait, does the tail need fixing too? Dear god, the nose weight in that must be simply unbelievable.

Speaking of nose weight.

12111953_1060186977339447_57784982906074

12108275_1060186990672779_74449606545243

11694991_1060187007339444_61160953847412

I am fairly concerned about the Valiant's ability to stay on all... threes with the big resin replacement tail in back, it has the heft of depleted uranium. I have added weight willy-nilly but have no scale (stupid boy!), and so this is purely guesstimating what I need up front. So naturally I want to guesstimate on the side of caution.

I didn't do much with the seats, because there's just only so much time in a day, and by extension, my life.

12122509_1060187064006105_65211518142623

12065611_1060187080672770_90621400771172

• Like 9

Dear gods!

Is there no shame in the man????

At least your legs and wobbly bits must be worthy of some attention. Damned sure nobody would want to endure the horror of a glance at mine :yikes:

Speaking of nose weight...

I am fairly concerned about the Valiant's ability to stay on all... threes with the big resin replacement tail in back, it has the heft of depleted uranium. I have added weight willy-nilly but have no scale (stupid boy!), and so this is purely guesstimating what I need up front. So naturally I want to guesstimate on the side of caution....

Dear God man! How's it ever supposed to fly now? At least it can double up as a rather effective No-Stick until such time as the fiddly bits go on :fight:

• Like 3

NBC prep is fascinating to me in the context of the Cold War...uh, while I have your attention, how many of you in the forces during that time thought war would be likely, and did you expect it to go nuclear?

Fascinating.....! :hypnotised::fraidnot: It was an experience, a bad experience, a very bad experience... NBC IPE, gas chambers, sorry respirator test facilities, NBC BFT, parachuting in full NBC IPE, parachuting into water in full NBC IPE, (later claimed to be a 'navigation' error...), days in the arctic and desert wearing NBC IPE... instruction courses...AAAAARRGGHH! And that's just a taster.

I'd expunged all that nonsense, but now I am having wakening nightmares about it again!

To answer your two questions; 1. Yes, well very likely, and 2. Yes. Probably within a week at most. Station exercises always finished with the tannoy call, "Crews to cockpits, crews to cockpits", signaling the one way sun shine trip. It was all a bit of a let down when 'peace' broke out after the collapse of the Soviet Union :wicked:

Nice to see a Suez Valiant on the go. Smashing photos of your lovely lady, mini-me and small fluffy, (well spiky), privet pig!

Christian exiled to africe and resident British Hedgehog Preservation Society member

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

You should be OK with that lot Edward, with the Valiants U/C layout the only problem really is keeping the two main wheels flat on the ground. I find the best way to ensure this is too use slow curing CA, put the thing on a flat surface and pull/push the rear wheels down until they are both on the deck then zap with accelerator. There's a lot wrong with the MB Victor which I won't go into here but yes...it does create its own gravitational field though the original kit gear can well take the weight. (Another problem is that MB put the main gear in the wrong place to help prevent it being a tail sitter).

Going to work on a train ...that brings back some horrendous memories courtesy of '70's British Rail !

Nice job on the cockpit...

• Like 2

You should be OK with that lot Edward, with the Valiants U/C layout the only problem really is keeping the two main wheels flat on the ground. I find the best way to ensure this is too use slow curing CA, put the thing on a flat surface and pull/push the rear wheels down until they are both on the deck then zap with accelerator. There's a lot wrong with the MB Victor which I won't go into here but yes...it does create its own gravitational field though the original kit gear can well take the weight. (Another problem is that MB put the main gear in the wrong place to help prevent it being a tail sitter).

Going to work on a train ...that brings back some horrendous memories courtesy of '70's British Rail !

Not to mention... the BR sausage roll... :weep::zombie:

• Like 1

....... - oh, and our own Mr Fritag actually gets a mention in the Jaguar one (for crashing, obvs).

Tis true there is a fleeting reference to young F who has only ever, in any field of endeavour, been recognised for his incompetence.....It's in a chapter by an engineer who was attached to the board of enquiry.

didn't know Fritag made the Jaguar book (and heartily glad I heard someone say it first while I was in the UK -- I normally say it "Jag-wire"), so I'll have to pick it up!

You say it how you like PC.

There are a couple of web sites listing the Jag-wire losses. 7/10/85 is me.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/Jaguar/Jaguar.htm

http://www.targetlock.org.uk/jaguar/service_uk.html

I was on the jag-wire from late 84 to early 90 and wasn't yet combat-ready in Oct 85. During my time the RAF lost something like 14 of em in crashes of various descriptions. Flying into the ground and other aircraft predominate. Probably a workload thing. It had a bit of a reputation at one time.

that brings back some horrendous memories courtesy of '70's British Rail !

Not to mention... the BR sausage roll... :weep::zombie:

As it happens I type this on the train from York to London with Virgin Trains finest (!) bacon roll at my elbow........

Ditto. Much is expected from you PC - particularly as you have the General's personal input at every stage :)

I'm not sure I would want to be doing a build under that steely gaze.

No pressure then.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4