A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

Interesting. I don't recognise that particular dialect of Old Norse. All right, wise guy - find me a replay of Carlton Fisk's game-winning homerun in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series against Cincinnati (although the baastahd Reds won anyway in Game 7 so what difference did it make?), only translated into Tocharian B. That's Tocharian B, not Tocharian A. A good translation into Faliscan would do, also, although not Oscan; I can't abide Oscan.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

VERY nice PC, she looks the part... that antiglare panel looks perfect and I really like the effect on the metal skin. You should be really pleased with that :)

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. As always with my builds, there were a lot of compromises, and I think if I weren't keen on actually finishing more that a single kit this year I could have done some more with her quite easily. All in all, this was not a difficult build, if you don't think about the whole resin tail situation, and even that was manageable. With 20/20 hindsight, I would have prepared the tail better with more sanding to smooth it out -- the one I got had shockingly pebbly surfaces. I may still mask off and paint the engine vents, but blow me down if I can figure out how to do the black bits at the wing roots...chance brush painting? In any case it's time to move on to the next thing. I've been thinking either an Eduard Fw 190 or a Brengun car-door Typhoon, but I also scored a bunch of decals for post-war Spitfire XVIs. Decisions...

• Like 1

Looks pretty good nonetheless. You should be happy with it, especially given everything else that has been going on for you.

Might I suggest a Hurricane? You know there is a GB going on just a few categories down...

:whistle:

• Like 1

Brengun car-door Typhoon please. I have one in the stash and need some tips on assembling it.

I've built one before, and they really did an atrocious job on the canopy. It simply doesn't conform to the curvature of the fuselage, and if you just fill in the gaps, it sits comically high. Much sanding did I have to do to get it to sort of fit.

Good grief! 266 to choose from! Actually I think it might be 264 as, er, I now have... how do I say this... two of your Bristols! Thanks again PC :)

I have included the armour which of course I should not count :)

I would vote for the Rapide but that would exclude 06/24. And it has rigging :shutup:

So I'll support Beard because it's just the right thing to do...

I've built one before, and they really did an atrocious job on the canopy. It simply doesn't conform to the curvature of the fuselage, and if you just fill in the gaps, it sits comically high. Much sanding did I have to do to get it to sort of fit.

Would you like another then? From what you've just written, I think it'll stay in the stash so you may as well have it.

Might I suggest a Hurricane? You know there is a GB going on just a few categories down...

:whistle:

I noticed that once you scroll down to 'V' on your Scalemates stash, there is a lonely Tamiya Corsair. I know where it could find some friends.

Aieee, group builds! The issue for me right now is that I'm not sure when (if ever) I'll return to my original build rate of about one kit every two weeks, and I disgracefully failed to finish in the Vietnam GB. So I'm not sure I could wrap up a GB build in time, given that this kit, which wasn't really very complicated (though I grant you, big, since it took a whole bottle of Alclad to paint it) has lasted from the start of October until now.

Would you like another then? From what you've just written, I think it'll stay in the stash so you may as well have it.

Don't tempt me. How about I build one and you see if it looks too challenging first?

Good grief! 266 to choose from! Actually I think it might be 264 as, er, I now have... how do I say this... two of your Bristols! Thanks again PC :)

In Winston's father's house there are many Bristols...wait, what am I saying?

I would vote for the Rapide but that would exclude 06/24. And it has rigging :shutup:

The rigging doesn't scare me too much (because I've done it before and also because I'm a fool), but it doesn't feel right to do it until Jon can join us.

• Like 1

Don't tempt me. How about I build one and you see if it looks too challenging first?

That sounds like a good idea, I'm too tight to pay the postage to the US. Many things are so challenging that I can't be bothered... finishing this sentence, for ex

• Like 6

Wait, PC, you have an MPM Albacore and an Xtrakit Spitfire Mk.XII - you baastahd! I can see your dilemna, PC - that is a great stash to choose from. For what it's worth, I rather like the RN Avenger in Suez markings, but perhaps after this Valiant, you're tired of Suez Invasion subjects (still it would look nice next to your Wyvrern and the Meteor NF.11[?] with the invasion stripes).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Aieee, group builds! The issue for me right now is that I'm not sure when (if ever) I'll return to my original build rate of about one kit every two weeks, and I disgracefully failed to finish in the Vietnam GB. So I'm not sure I could wrap up a GB build in time, given that this kit, which wasn't really very complicated (though I grant you, big, since it took a whole bottle of Alclad to paint it) has lasted from the start of October until now.

Breathe.... its a 1/72 hurricane.... not another valiant or anything else too challenging. Winston is probably within the estimated age bracket.

• Like 1