A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

Neither fear nor courage saves us. Unnatural vices
Are fathered by our heroism. Virtues
Are forced upon us by our impudent crimes.
These tears are shaken from the wrath-bearing tree.
The tiger springs in the new year. Us he devours.
-- T S Eliot, "1920"
"I would never have dared; and if I had dared, I would certainly have never dared stop."
-- Winston Churchill, on Suez, c.1957
"We have created a system of international law and order in which we have to face the fact that the Security Council is, first, frustrated by the veto and, secondly, that it cannot act immediately. In a sense, the policeman has his hands tied behind his back. He has to wait a long time before he is allowed to play his part.
"I myself believe that, if you have accepted that system, you are only safe if you also retain the rights of individual countries to defend their own nationals and their own interests."
I loathe starting a build before an old one is finished, but I await paint for a RAAF Sabre, and there's no sense wasting the waning days of my paternity leave on my son, seeing as he won't remember any of it anyway. (Have I said things to him in desperation, these past few weeks, that would get him taken away and me locked up if he could understand them? He will never know.) Oh no. the filial bond between me and young Winston (yes, I know in Britain only reggae musicians are named Winston now) can wait. It's time to build one of those kits we buy, and then talk about building, but never touch. Here's why:
Everything I have built in 2015:
12109110_1057899334234878_21957417098143
(yes, my grotto is dingy)
The Valiant:
12074751_1057899347568210_51387643654943
This is not a forced perspective shot. I'm running out of flat surface.
But a man has to do what he can do while his squalling infant is still small enough to let him do it.
So here we are:
12063598_1057899370901541_78738167953491
I'm building the Airfix Vulcan as a Suez Crisis jet, which means it's overall High Speed Silver as opposed to the classic "All-Out Thermonuclear War White". I have the base kit, the Alley Cat tail correction (as you can see, in a fit of misplaced confidence in my own abilities, I've already hacked off the kit tail), and the Freightdog Early Valiant Serials decals. Ideally, I would be doing a 207 Squadron Valiant, as they're rather well documented, but of course the kit markings don't include a 207 Squadron badge. Guess what the only identifier besides the serial was on Suez bombers. Guess.
In fact, incredibly, the kit only has a 49 Squadron badge (in two sizes!), and that squadron didn't even participate in the Crisis. Why Airfix would even want to trouble itself with including a marking option for a Valiant that actually saw combat is beyond me anyway, of course, but there you have it.
So, thanks to ACIG, which makes no mention of squadron badges for 148 Squadron, this helpful photo of a 148 Squadron Valiant on loan to 207 Squadron in 1955 showing no badge, and a good photo on p.166 of Wings Over Suez, we'll be going with Valiant XD815 from 148 Squadron flown by the Canadian Wing Commander Wilf Burnett (later Air Commodore Wilf Burnett OBE), who commanded the Valiant Wing during the Crisis. If anyone has any corrective or corroborating evidence, please tell me sooner than later. After I do something, I rarely undo it, which is why my wife and I are now parents.
In any case, off to the races.
12141615_1057899294234882_65782389613041
I've sprayed the green bits of the cockpit Zinc Chromate Green (mixed with some Alclad Aqua Gloss out of sheer laziness), which looks a little light.
  • Like 13

Faced with an potential act of magnificent folly inspiring and ambitious project of this nature I can only salute you PC. It is outside my area of interest as you know, but I have a soft spot for big aircraft (even jets) and big models of them; I think also the Valiant might look quite - comparatively at least - fetching in silver paint... but mostly I will be along for the entertainments as usual.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Faced with an potential act of magnificent folly inspiring and ambitious project of this nature I can only salute you PC. It is outside my area of interest as you know, but I have a soft spot for big aircraft (even jets) and big models of them; I think also the Valiant might look quite - comparatively at least - fetching in silver paint... but mostly I will be along for the entertainments as usual.

I think it actually looks quite futuristic, in its way; I know jet engines buried in the wings are now rather old-fashioned, but given that at the start of the decade the RAF was flying B-29 Washingtons, it's ripped from the pages of Dan Dare.

The kit, by the way, is from the most recent but one era of Airfix, when the kits were slightly less accurate, but infinitely more cooperative about being built.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree completely, as with the Vulcan it does seem that the designers wanted to build an aircraft that looked like it came from the future - and in terms of what came before they were the next generation. I still think they look pretty futuristic now - especially the Vulcan, of course, but the Valiant too to a lesser degree and even the Victor.

I don't remember the kit being released, it might have occurred during one of my fallow periods, and I don't know anything like enough about the type to be concerned about the accuracy (though I'm guessing the tailfin was wrong given that you felt moved to replace it) but I trust you will have a pleasant build...

Cheers,

Stew

(though I'm guessing the tailfin was wrong given that you felt moved to replace it)

In fact, the kit tailplane was more accurate, I just want to watch the world burn, and also measurably shorten my life by sanding down resin until it looks like a pale grey blizzard in my grotto. Mu ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

No, you're correct. There's something subtly wrong with the tail; it's obvious when the kit tail and the replacement tail are placed together that the kit tail...doesn't look exactly like the Alley Cat tail. I assume, on faith, that this is indeed more accurate, because money has changed hands here, plus I've already made the cuts, so... (helpless shrug)

Faith can move mountains and remove tailfins. I'm sure Ali knows his stuff, plus, having spent out on the tailfin and postage etc, which other Valiant were you going to use it on?

I would probably not have been aware of the problem, thereby illustrating the old truth that ignorance is bliss. I have clearly been blissful most of my life without really appreciating it.

However you would have known there was a subtle mistake in the design of the original kit fin and you would have had that nagging at you each time you looked at the model; people might say "Nice model!" and you would say "Meh, the tailfin is a bit wrong somehow" and that would be all you saw of it... now you do not have that to look forward to.

Cheers,

Stew

p.s. by the way I forgot to say your annual output is looking spiffy!

• Like 1

You're building another jet!?! :blink: Nice choice of jet and inspired choice of scheme there but what has inspired this sudden choice of powerplants; I can't recall the last time watching you tackle something that didn't have at least one set of propellers attached to itself somewhere and now you are working on two at once.

Edited by Col.

... and mine! There's just something about the V bombers... I'm in, if a little late. I blame the conference. Oh no, wait, you only started your post at 05:04! Don't you other guys ever sleep! (time zones considered) :popcorn:

Nice to see a Valiant in the Suez scheme, definitely following this one!

Indeed, sadly they didn't get those saucy yellow and black strips.

You're building another jet!?! :blink: Nice choice of jet and inspired choice of scheme there but what has inspired this sudden choice of powerplants; I can't recall the last time watching you tackle something that didn't have at least one set of propellers attached to itself somewhere and now you are working on two at once.

This year it's been all props until now, but last year I did two Lightnings, a Phantom, a Hawk, etc. But now I've heard The Call.

• Like 1

Having used Ali`s excellent update sets for one of my Valiant`s I`ll be watching your build with interest to see how you tackle it and I`m so pleased that you`ve chosen a Suez aircraft too,..excellent choice!

Your yearly output looks excellent too,

Good luck,

Cheers

Tony

Your yearly output really makes me hang my head in shame. In the same period I have managed 90% of a Sea Vixen (started last year, as well) and a lot of tiny modifications to a 1/350 aircraft carrier. The Vixen should reach RFI during 2015, but Ark Royal won't.

I'm in - your builds are always hugely entertaining. I assume you have read Andy/Melchett's excellent guide to the good and bad things about this kit? If not, it's pinned at the top of this section, and us a mine of information.

On on

• Like 1

I'm building the Airfix Vulcan as a Suez Crisis jet,

Interesting choice old chap !

Having had input into the Allycat set rest assured it is more accurate, the fin cap is now the correct shape, the intake at the fin root has been added as have the missing vg's on the tailplanes as well as a few extra details added to the fin sides. I've got a couple of these on the go too but strictly on the back burner ! Good choice of markings btw.

Look forward to progress, (as kindly mentioned by EX-FAAWAFU if you need any help with anything just ask).

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Great I love to see a Valiant come together such a beauty. I have made one and hope to make more. One thing to watch for If I recall correctly was the fit of the internals and the fuselage (could be mixing it up with the Nimrod) But I seem to think the Internals effect the fit of the halves and the wings. But its not much to worry about.

I will be watching and hope to make another soon so I will be taking notes. :)

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Great I love to see a Valiant come together such a beauty. I have made one and hope to make more. One thing to watch for If I recall correctly was the fit of the internals and the fuselage (could be mixing it up with the Nimrod) But I seem to think the Internals effect the fit of the halves and the wings. But its not much to worry about.

I will be watching and hope to make another soon so I will be taking notes. :)

Cheers Rob :)

I had very few problems fitting the two I have built so far. However, regarding the subject of this particular discussion, I think the Valiant would actually look rather neat in grey/green/PRU Blue with Suez invasion stripes painted on it! :hmmm: Or, maybe even grey/green/black? If I recall they only flew night missions?

Allan

• Like 1

I had very few problems fitting the two I have built so far. However, regarding the subject of this particular discussion, I think the Valiant would actually look rather neat in grey/green/PRU Blue with Suez invasion stripes painted on it! :hmmm: Or, maybe even grey/green/black? If I recall they only flew night missions?

Allan

I am surprised you have not stuck two together like your awsome Victor Whiff. Or have you already done it :)

• Like 1

I am surprised you have not stuck two together like your awsome Victor Whiff. Or have you already done it :)

Give me time Rob! Give me time!!! :lol: . Actually, I was kind of hoping somebody would come along with a conversion set for the Valiant B2.

Allan

• Like 1

I love the look of the Valiant - and I've a sentimental attachment to it because my Dad was a radar technician on a Valiant squadron (7 squadron) during his National Service in the late 1950's.

If you'd got as far north as Inverness during your visit to the UK PC you could have had a sit inside a Valiant BMk1 cockpit :)

3030bb2a2aee9d9ec9604eb3eeaafe03_zpse58c

6da6a15e6c460db6c444a3679ceb6188_zpsbb02

3c1433e893761413a548aca6993f373e_zps6cb0

I'm looking forward to the build plus of course the PC wit and wisdom :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 16

I love the look of the Valiant - and I've a sentimental attachment to it because my Dad was a radar technician on a Valiant squadron (7 squadron) during his National Service in the late 1950's.

If you'd got as far north as Inverness during your visit to the UK PC you could have had a sit inside a Valiant BMk1 cockpit :)

3030bb2a2aee9d9ec9604eb3eeaafe03_zpse58c

6da6a15e6c460db6c444a3679ceb6188_zpsbb02

These 50s jets are such a weird mixture. I was born in 1959, so when I were a lad these aircraft were cutting edge, exciting, space age stuff. OK, the Valiant maybe a little bit less than the other 2 V bombers - it wasn't quite so obviously futuristic in design - but even so. Jet propulsion and advances in aerodynamics meant that comparing, say, a Vulcan with a Lancaster, or a Vixen with a Hurricane, made the newer aircraft look like something out of Dan Dare.

It is easy to forget, therefore, that the origins of these designs lay well under 10 years after the war - and some of the kit they carried WAS of wartime origin. Delta wings and all that malarkey on the one hand, but early-50s electronics (at best), valves, Bakelite, and no bang seat for some of the crew on the other.

Plus, of course, it is now 50-odd years ago anyway, so in technology terms it might as well be ancient history.

Maybe it's just me. I visited Cosford fairly recently and was looking at the cutaway Buccaneer cockpit section they have* - and then asked myself why I was so surprised to see such ancient-looking electrics.

Look at those pics of Steve's; I don't reckon a 1944 Lancaster crew would have felt too daunted being asked to run that lot. I suppose some of the crews probably had been Lancaster back-seaters during the war, come to think of it.

Mind you, since I flew the mighty Sea King, an aircraft whose 1950s design origins were plain for all to see, this ought to be obvious to me!

*[Don't get me started; all my FAA hackles came fully up; how can they have an S1 (only ever operated by the Navy) in a museum with a totally spurious RAF colour scheme on it? Probably the same way that they can have the nose of a Phantom a few yards away... ESDG over white, Jubilee markings, unmistakably an FG1 of 892NAS... and manage to have a display board next to it that doesn't mention the Royal Navy AT ALL. Apparently the Phantom only served in the RAF... Grrrr]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

These 50s jets are such a weird mixture. I was born in 1959, so when I were a lad these aircraft were cutting edge, exciting, space age stuff. OK, the Valiant maybe a little bit less than the other 2 V bombers - it wasn't quite so obviously futuristic in design - but even so.........

I was barely toddling when the Valiant was retired and so it was the only one of the V bombers I never saw fly :(

The Vulcan flew at all the air shows of my yoof and was still in service at Marham for the first couple of years of my service; and I air-to-air refuelled from the Victor umpty-ump times - including following one of em (really really carefully) all the way back across the Atlantic - so the Valiant has an attractive lack of familiarity for me even tho it was a much more contemporaneously conventional design.

Nice photos Steve...I'm up around that way with friends next Feb so will definitely seek it out.

Andy - I have a few more cockpit pics - but we only found the little air museum at Inverness by chance and I only really took the pics just to show my Dad that I'd sat in the cockpit of the Jet he used to service (50 year old bloke reverts to little boy enthusiasm in an instant: Dad, Dad look wot I've seen Dad.....) - so they're not as good as if I'd thought about taking reference shots (silly me).

Anyways I can post some more if useful. Although I don't suppose you're going to town on the cockpit are you PC? Not much gonna be seen with the door shut (or frankly with it open!).

Added by Edit:

That said....I should say that in the Inverness example the pilots area of the cockpit was painted black and not green like the rear crew section.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Looking forward to this build, a bit out of my area of remit, but I do love the retro feel of the aircraft. I will be following along if you don't mind

Very nice pictures but can't help wondering why the backseat guys would need a quick escape door should the pilot make a 'rash' landing. I take it a 'rash' landing is a slightly misguided landing so maybe a toilet seat would be more appropriate. Also mid 50's health and safety 'climb onto table to get out of aircraft in an emergency'!

*[Don't get me started; all my FAA hackles came fully up; how can they have an S1 (only ever operated by the Navy) in a museum with a totally spurious RAF colour scheme on it? Probably the same way that they can have the nose of a Phantom a few yards away... ESDG over white, Jubilee markings, unmistakably an FG1 of 892NAS... and manage to have a display board next to it that doesn't mention the Royal Navy AT ALL. Apparently the Phantom only served in the RAF... Grrrr]

Probably why there is a yellow Mk3 (HAR 2?) Wessie doing the rounds as well!

Any way crack on and looking forward to an entertaining WIP!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 2

Excellent, will be following this. And I'll add my voice to those who've remarked as to its futuristc dsemeanour. Born in 1964 and brought up on the classic sci-fi films of the day, for me these jets (especially the Vulcan) epitomised the "Age of Tomorrow Today" kind of optimism and Dan Dare stuff. Yes I am aware that the possibility of nuclear armagedddon kind of undermines the optimistic bit, but I hope you get my point. I was convinced that when I grew up I'd be eating astronaut food and wearing a silver suit and going to Mars for the weekend - Weston Supermare is not quite the same!

On with the build Mr P. Looking forward to the thread.

• Like 4