Can you see my Growler? Update 31 Jan.

Woody, Rob

It will be my pleasure to show you my Growler and without even being bought a drink first .

I'll be home from work for lunch time so I'll take some snaps then, first impressions are very positive and blimey it's big!

Til tomorrow

Iain

FYI don't do an Internet search for growler, I did and there wasn't a Shackleton in sight!

• Like 2

Hi everyone

As promised some pictures of the sprues...

sprue%20a_zpsxigmglim.jpg

P1030226_zpszb5n4hoe.jpg

P1030227_zps3mdkzokw.jpg

P1030228_zpspvfigoho.jpg

P1030232_zpslkqpegog.jpg

P1030235_zpstakdz7vt.jpg

P1030237_zpsro5lcype.jpg

P1030240_zpsapbffmqx.jpg

And some close up shots of the detail...

P1030239_zps9zpgm04n.jpg

P1030238_zpssbrqaarb.jpg

P1030236_zps1iozgsis.jpg

P1030241_zpsy8op0910.jpg

And a close up of the sink marks in the upper fuselage, which although unforgivable of Airfix (IMO) wont be too hard to fix...

P1030231_zpstsq7ujmh.jpg

Decals..

P1030242_zpsmfhpzinf.jpg

Paint schemes..

P1030246_zpsnqpwn1uv.jpg

P1030243_zpsbnpbswep.jpg

I'll start her tomorrow (on the wine tonight) and post as I go along. FYI my Hurricane build, although going very slowly is looking the part and I'll carry on with her very soon as well as finishing my JP which was started a life time away.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Thanks for posting that,......I`ve always wanted to make the `White Knuckle Airlines' Shack ever since I saw a piccy of this as a kiddy,.....so I`ll be building that one first,.......with the white one to follow and hopefully by then Airfix will have released a follow on kit of the AEW.2!

What with this and the Blenheim, Beaufighter etc all we need now is the announcement of a new 1/72nd Halifax by Airfix at Telford eh!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hi everyone

As promised some pictures of the sprues...

P1030242_zpsmfhpzinf.jpg

P1030243_zpsbnpbswep.jpg

I'll start her tomorrow (on the wine tonight) and post as I go along. FYI my Hurricane build, although going very slowly is looking the part and I'll carry on with her very soon as well as finishing my JP which was started a life time away.

Cheers

Iain

Whilst I admire Airfix looking for something a bit different, it would have been nice to have had the option of building WR966 in her standard guise with out the 'White Knuckle Airlines' titling and GT markings, they would only have had to provide some 'Royal Air Force' titles.

Hello Ant,

You can built WR966 in its usual guise,...just don`t add the `White Knuckle Airlines' titles or the extra `T' on the nose,......Shacks didn`t carry RAF titles on the fuselage. The additional titles, and code were added when the aircraft was flying home for retirement.

The white panels on top of the wing were standard for all 205 Sqn Shacks as it helped cool the fuel tanks,..here is my old Frog kit converted wearing standard 205 Sqn markings;

shack_zpsw8sodm2n.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edit- When I say that they didn`t carry RAF titles I just meant on the roof,.....of course some had white RAF titles on the rear fuselage!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

Hi everyone

Well I've made a start!

I've sprayed the interior sidewalls NATO black, Tan and interior green....

P1030247_zpssppnfha5.jpg

And the floor NATO Black and the wing spars and chairs dark brown....

P1030249_zps3rlq26ps.jpg

P1030248_zpsaw88pq8x.jpg

P1030249_zps3rlq26ps.jpg

P1030250_zpsmuphb8no.jpg

I'll weather the interior and give everything a dirty wash just to bring out the detail. I love the fact that planes like the Shackleton had aches of leather with large, comfy, chairs with built in ash trays very gentlemen's club!

Laters

Iain

• Like 9

Evening all

I've made a little progress with my Shackleton the interior is almost finished (well painting anyway). Unlike WV908 I'm building mine OOB with the only addition being some seat belts made out of blue tape....

P1030260_zpsp4lng6pb.jpg

P1030254_zpsyjkmgvmh.jpg

P1030252_zpsm6jh69ji.jpg

P1030266_zpsquut7wkh.jpg

P1030267_zpshofk9xwn.jpg

P1030265_zpsx2mbzow6.jpgP1030256_zpstjutkoko.jpg

P1030261_zpsiv6ogydz.jpg

Not very exciting I know but it is getting there slowly.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

Evening all

I've made a little progress with my Shackleton the interior is almost finished (well painting anyway). Unlike WV908 I'm building mine OOB with the only addition being some seat belts made out of blue tape....

Cheers

Iain

I just hope that I can do the painting as neatly as you. I'm using big clumsy Halfords rattle cans and seatbelts are a new thing to me too, having never modelled them before. I'm not quite sure yet how to approach them, but I'll have to figure it out fast. I'll second the comment on the glass effect, it looks stunning.

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

I came into this thread expecting to see photos of an E/A-18 Super Hornet not a Shackleton! I've been looking forward to this kit coming out and you've done a great job on the interior.

Regards,

Mark

Nice interiors Iain :)

Can I ask what you used to get the 'glass' effect on the radar screens? It looks great!

Hi CedB

Thanks for the comments much appreciated.

The glass effect on the screens is just Micro Kristal Klear, it will dry clear to show the orange screens underneath. You can however use any PVA glue and still get the same effect.

I just hope that I can do the painting as neatly as you. I'm using big clumsy Halfords rattle cans and seatbelts are a new thing to me too, having never modelled them before. I'm not quite sure yet how to approach them, but I'll have to figure it out fast. I'll second the comment on the glass effect, it looks stunning.

Cheers,

WV908

Hey WV908

After what I've seen of the work you've carried out on your Galley I don't think a bit of painting and a few seat belts are gonna vex you - Great job mate!

Looks good! Nice to see you're underway.

Thank you very much!

I came into this thread expecting to see photos of an E/A-18 Super Hornet not a Shackleton! I've been looking forward to this kit coming out and you've done a great job on the interior.

Regards,

Mark

Hey FZ6

Sorry that its not an F18 however thanks for the comments!

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Just some photos of the almost finished interior..

P1030270_zpsscocjcku.jpg

P1030271_zpskaibg4p1.jpg

P1030272_zpskb2m7fs8.jpg

P1030273_zpsefkayf9r.jpg

I've dirtied up the floor and wing spars a little to try and simulate foot fall and on the whole I'm quite happy with how its turning out.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

Hi everyone

A little progress with my growler all the interior fittings have been installed without any major problems and have been put to one side to fully cure....

P1030274_zpszishwyon.jpg

P1030275_zpstigkihaw.jpg

P1030276_zps2pbnnnyc.jpg

P1030277_zpsv9narzyk.jpg

It looks pretty good when complete, its just a shame it will never be seen again once the fuselage is closed up!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4