1/48 F4U-1D

Thom216

This is the Tamiya kit. I've waited until I was far enough along to not court a hanging thread with an incomplete build. As is, she's going into paint right now.

But, from the start...

This has been a real neat kit to build. Nice detail and mostly tight seam lines. Good for you Tamiya! Would I do things differently if I could? Sure. Will I build another one? Definitely!

To start, we have the cockpit, which I did in zinc chromate green and black. Also on board is an Eduard PE set for the cockpit, a Vector set for the cowl and engine and some scratching for further engine detail.

F4U-1D-020_zpshgphvbbz.jpg

F4U-1D-018_zpsymznkefx.jpg

F4U-1D-019_zpspe9wv8xd.jpg

F4U-1D-022_zps9ylbvuxr.jpg

I detailed up the gear with some wire for the break lines and some guitar string for the springs. I have no pictures of the night when one of the gear legs became three in a spray of parts. Suffice to say - all fixed!!

F4U-1D-031_zpso1txtefw.jpg

Detail in the gear wells is restrained, but I think busy enough.

F4U-1D-003_zps4jfwdkdp.jpg

Here's the cowl detail from Vector.

F4U-1D-011_zpsgxqtjodj.jpg

And the engine flaps. I had initially had them secured with Flat Clear Acrylic. It held good too - until I did a wash of Tamiya smoke and thinner and the resin parts

started to pull off. They were resecured with CA.

F4U-1D-010_zpsp1rkro9w.jpg

For the engine, I was going to use the rear of the kit engine in order to somehow still be able to use the pollycap for the shaft. But I ended up not to doing that, as the fit

between the shaft and the resin gear housing is firm enough to hold it steady. I just won't be flicking the prop for fun!

F4U-1D-005_zpsllod40c4.jpg

I then added to it. Push rods and ignition wires as well as an egnition ring substitute found at the Agway I work at.

F4U-1D-029_zpszktrgy5v.jpg

I used a dremel to grind away the inner square sections where the holes are, and with a little widening it fit really good. I bought several more for when I do another

piston aircraft.

F4U-1D-028_zpsepyh765h.jpg

F4U-1D-030_zpsmj3g0p2g.jpg

The wires are glued to the cylinders only and are bent and then just propped under the ignition ring. I know there should be a second set going behind the cylinders,

but I was just too tired at 2AM and couldn't get the wires to anchor down. Next time I'll pre-drill some holes before the engine goes together. But for this one, it looks

good. It'll get a flat coat to tone the shine down.

Here she is with the wing center wing section fitted. When I do another one, I'll be joining the wing outer sections first, before joining upper and lower. Those joins at the wing

fold gave me enough trouble for two builds while trying to get the completed assemblies trued up.

F4U-1D-025_zpsdck0p026.jpg

The armored glass atop the cockpit coaming is supplied - but mine ended up being bent and crazing, so I made another from packaging plastic. It was cut to size

and bordered with a black marker for framing. Then it was secured with Flat Clear Acrylic. It won't be bearing any load, so that'll do the job and without the build-up

of material more common to CA.

DSCF9831_zpsucwgcga4.jpg

And the windsheild in place.

DSCF9834_zpsngyskvmc.jpg

Sadly for Tamiya, the marker lights are solid plastic. I would think in this day and age, they could give up some clear platic for them. So, this is my first attempt

at scratching some clear marker lights for the wing tips. I used a section of clear sprue, and sanded down oposing sides with a metal nail file for flatness. I also cut

a corresponding notch in either wing. Then with a small drill, I drilled the 'lights' and filled both with color, red and green.

Once dry and tight, I sanded them to shape, then went to finer grit to get back as much clarity as possible. After painting, I'll dab some Pledge Future to fil any little

scratches and for shine.

DSCF9609_zpsyr5l6hjw.jpg

DSCF9612_zpsdidz3t7q.jpg

DSCF9833_zpsdvgkbotp.jpg

DSCF9839_zpswqpewjnz.jpg

Not too bad IMHO. I think I used too much paint and it bled out some with the glue, but I'm not doing it again. There's a deadline here!

And this last pic is before primer. I've been cleaning up some seems and hope to get a preshade on in the morning. Maybe even main color on by tomorrow night!

Who knows!?!?!

DSCF9841_zpstzommtmw.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 7

Nice Corsair some nice looking details look forward to seeing this completed.

Guy

Thanks for the good words, Gents!

Hit a little problem though. As usual, once I get to the painting stage something mucks up. In this case, it's my air compressor spitting moisture out of the nozzle! It happened during the shading process, but I thought it was okay after, as it did fine on the Cosmo Falcon.

DSCF9843_zpsxnio9ctm.jpg

Guess I used up it's good luck... :banghead:

Will have to sand it back and probably redo the primer and preshade again, as I went too heavy anyway. Still building, but this won't be going to the show this weekend...

Time to think happy thoughts! :bouncy:

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your problems do you have a water trap (filter) on your compressor ?

Keep at it though liking this build.

Guy

It looks pretty good so far. That's a nice touch with the snap ring. Which AGWAY do you work at ? Just curious. I have been in a number of them. Keep us updated. Bob H.

• 2 weeks later...

The Agway in Ithaca, upstate New York.

And finally some more work done. The new water trap in the compressor seems to work fine. I redid the primer coat and then the preshade.

DSCF9862_zpsw2jky3db.jpg

DSCF9863_zps1jhujg5q.jpg

And then I primered the fabric areas of the tail, to give it a lighter base for the main color.

F4U-1D-045_zpslwqasg65.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow - now later today - I can start putting the main color on. If not, then this weekend definitely!

• Like 5

A little more paint and little more snafu...

The paint went on pretty good. I like the slight shading in it. It's easier to see in person of course...

I rubbed it down with a soft cloth to help smooth out the barely there roughness.

F4U-1D-046_zpshphtfijk.jpg

then as I was trying to fit the cowel flaps, the resin replacement wouldn't seat properly and finally snapped...

I'm glad I still have the kit part and was able to save eleven of the actuators.

F4U-1D-047_zpsjfiflkfw.jpg

And yes, after seeing the pic, I fixed that one actuator that's got all wonky!

Nothing to be aggrieved about and I'm in no rush!

• Like 3

Hello Thom,

A little technique that I use is to use black as a base colour for everything. When you airbrush your colour over it don't go for 100% cover and it leaves shadowed areas in corners etc, I then exadurate this by dry brushing with a lightened enamel paint version of the colour of the part to give contrast and make the detail stand out. Give it a try some time and see what you think.

The build is progressing well and it should turn out to be a nice Corsair.

Matt.

Thanks! Actually, next time I'm thinking of black panel lines and white panel centers before main paint.

I bought a new Vector set for the cowl flap actuators. I'll do them over when they arrive. The salvaged pieces just weren't looking right.

And there's no reason to rush. I'm not on a schedule!! :banghead:

Good progress shame about the cowl flaps but keep up the good work.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some more work done on my Corsair! She now up on her main gear and sitting pretty! Still needs tires, but I'll get to that. As well as the gloss coat and decals and then weathering and then adding on all the nefarious little bits. And paint touch up. Always paint touch up... :banghead:

DSCF9871_zpsapo6kudl.jpg

DSCF9872_zpswfw3kz5s.jpg

• Like 2