Getting back into it

phildagreek

I used to sim, a lot. Using MS flight sim 2004. Loved it.

I drifted away from it, we moved house, my dedicated space disappeared, kids got older etc etc etc.

I'm in a position now to revisit it, fancy it a lot. Got out the discs yesterday and loaded it up. Doesn't work. At all. Now this is not the same computer as before, this is a Toshiba laptop, about two years old, running Windows 8. The other one was a Dell desktop beasty. The youngest teenager had a look and she suggests that the operating system on this laptop (Windows 8) is too new and they are just not talking to each other and thus, kaput.

This makes some sense to me. FS2004 is an old game.

So, Microsoft Flight Sim X. It says is recommended for Windows XP, will it run on this laptop?

What do we think?

Being a bit of a tight git I don't want to shell out on version X just to try and recover some costs on Ebay when it doesn't work.

I would be grateful for any thoughts/advice anyone might have, but could we assume I know nothing about computers apart from the VERY basics, so please be kind (& simple) in your answers.

Thank you all.

I have just done some quick Google searches and it seems there are many people who have complained about how hard it is to get FSX working with Windows 8. My guess is that if you don't feel very confident applying patches and the like then this route may not be for you. I have no personal experience, this is just based on a cursory scan of a google search.

I did find this link which might help you get your FS2004 working

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-gaming/fs2004-century-of-flight/4b04aeea-f367-40fb-a73f-0b8617616393?auth=1

So maybe give that a try first. Would save you money and might let you relive your flight sim glory days :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

I've got a dell laptop running Windows 10 and I decided to see if it would run OK, so I loaded it up and tried it. I found that it would not put an icon on my desktop, so I navigated to the fsx folder and ran it from there and it works a treat. I have tried some missions and not had a crash yet (computer not flight :banghead: )​ so it should be OK on 8, though the upgrade is free. I've also loaded acceleration without problem, but I have not loaded any 3rd party aircraft yet.

Ted

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just started running FSX-Steam Edition. Haven't used a flight sim in 20 years. :thumbsup: Been having a blast. So far the only issues I've run into on Win7 was a corrupted flight log file (deleting the flight log to clear fixed it) and it took a bit of searching to find the info I needed to get my triple screens running properly.

• 3 months later...

I've had both FS2004 (aka FS9) and FSX run fine on both Windows 8 and Windows 10.

The problem comes with some of the addons.

• 2 months later...

Just to update this, if anyone is interested, the eldest's boyfriend has let me borrow his brother's version of FSX deluxe and the accelerator pack ( I don't think his brother actually knows this) and it has worked a treat - haven't lost any of the skills!

So I guess I'm off looking for a version to buy.

Just to update this, if anyone is interested, the eldest's boyfriend has let me borrow his brother's version of FSX deluxe and the accelerator pack ( I don't think his brother actually knows this) and it has worked a treat - haven't lost any of the skills!

So I guess I'm off looking for a version to buy.

Go buy FSX:Steam Edition on Steam or somewhere like G2A. It is on sale basically every month for around a fiver.
  • Like 1