1/72 Zvezda Ka-50 "Hokum" Night Hunter.

I think I'm ready for a build. My kit of choice won't be as lightning fast as a couple I have done, but should still move at a moderate clip. I could have chosen Italeri's 1/72 kit but wanted to try a zvezda kit as I have not done one in a while. I see that their confusing instructions have not improved since my last Zvezda kit. At least not with this kit. The colors may be accurate but the color callouts are not accurate as they give the lightest color of sand and assign it to the wrong area and so on. The only other problem I have found is that the box is to small and the main sprue does not fit without bowing it upward. I don't see any parts that are bent because of this, so we shall see. The decals look matte and thick. This is a pretty cool copter and I look forward to getting going on it. Here is a few pictures to look at as I will start looking at the cockpit. I'll be back with something to show later.

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Edited by yankeemodeller
  • Like 6

Check that there is a connection between the top swashplate and the top rotors to change blade pitch.

IIRC, there aren't any con rods - or maybe that was the Italeri kit???

They are the short ones going down to the rotors at the top.....

ka-50_37.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

We did the italiteri version of the Hokum, it came out ok, but don't do what I did.... Put the top set of rotors in the same direction as the bottom...doh! Decals silvered too.

imagejpg1_zps11841f5a.jpg

Edited by R159
  • Like 2

Working on the Italeri kit - interesting helo. Have looked at the Svezda version too- both have some inaccuracies, but a nice general outline -- I'm finding it helps to check out the Walkaround photos on the Internet. A notable feature of the Kamov- it's one of the few helos with an ejection seat. The rotors blow off, then the panel above the seat, and then the seat goes "bang"--- !

Ejection seats and rotary wing - not always a great mix. Does the system blow the blades off as part of the ejection sequence, or what?

Think I'd rather trust my luck with auto-rotation.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Those are some great pics. The pictures of the cockpit that I find vary. A lot are typical cockpit colors, but some are painted in the typical Russian interior blue.Any help on which versions had the interrior blue would be helpful. Also, it's amazing how may different paint schemes there are. Seems like every bird got it's own scheme. That might be stretching it a bit but there sure seem to be lots of variations. I guess if I wanted it simple, I could have done an American F-16, where it's had pretty much one paint scheme in 40 years.

• Like 1

Ejection seats and rotary wing - not always a great mix. Does the system blow the blades off as part of the ejection sequence, or what?

There's explosive charges in the root of the blade, blows them clear.

I spent hours in DCS:Black Shark so I've always liked the -50. Real mean, odd looking thing!

I found another pic wot I took at MAKS 2013 showing the cockpit of a Ka-52 - the seat is covered up - but you can see the two angled nozzles of the rocket above/behind the seat.

ka-52%20ejection%20seat_01.jpg

Note how the whole rocket is angled outwards - the starboard seat is presumably angled the opposite way to make the seat trajectories diverge.

Ken

• Like 1

Ok, guys, I have made a little progress. It seems my three teenagers don't like Ka50s, but they like all kinds of other stuff which is where I spend a lot of time lately. I've started the cockpit. It is rather sparse but that's ok too. Maybe I can keep moving. I went with some photos I found online that show cockpit walls and ceiling with a light gray, and panels and instrument area a interior blue green which Model Master seems to have a good example of. I dipped the clear windshield pieces in Pledge acrylic floor finish. It used to be called "Future". It makes the pieces very shiny and translucent to help show more interior detail. I never leave a cockpit in the open position so I need the extra help in seeing the stuff inside. I also found out that if a clear piece is coated with this stuff that you can glue it on with super glue with no crazing or maring up of the plastic. If you make a painting mistake, it can be stripped with ammonia based products and re-dipped. After painting cockpit wall, I have decided that my gray was not light enough for the pictures I used as reference. I am also debating whether or not to hand brush paint the camouflage finish as masking this thing could be more challenging. Thanks for all the cool photos to help get me started. Here is a few photos, and I will get back to work soon on it. God bless you all.

IMG_3397%202.jpg

IMG_3399%202.jpg

IMG_3406_1.jpg

IMG_3405%202.jpg

IMG_3403%202.jpg

IMG_3401%202.jpg

IMG_3400%202.jpg

• Like 2

I will be working to finish the cockpit this weekend so should have an update soon. God bless.

I do like Russian helicopters, watching with interest. :popcorn:

I've never explored the Russian rotor scene, so I'm interested as well.

Russians did this with a fuse. The first step is blasted the rotor blades and then goes seat.

Yankeemodeller Cockpit color would be blue-gray as the plane SU.I sat in the Ka-50 demonstrated the Russians at our base in Kuchyna AB,Slovakia in 1996.I photographed the details, but black and white. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Wrong color cockpit, John.

ka50sh-5_zpsvvzn5wc5.jpg

Thanks IGKent for the photo and info. Regardless of correct color, the damage is done as the cockpit is all together and I will post pics soon. When I did some research, I found two different pics with the blue/green color and they were labeled as ka-50. Others were more black. I certainly don't know much about these. Maybe the pics I have represent a copter from a different country or a different version of the ka-50. Either way, thanks for the heads up. I could not upload image to this forum to show my reference, but if you go to www.airliners.net, and type in ka-50, maybe you can see where I got the idea. Thanks again for the input.

Edited by yankeemodeller

Ok, I got the cockpit painted and assembled. Everything went together as expected with no problems. The main instrument panel was a little tricky to fit in place as it has to be put in after the assembly of the forward fuselage. I think as a whole helicopter kits are somewhat more challenging than aircraft. Little more complex, and harder to mask for airbrushing. Do you guys feel the same way or is it just me? I like to do one ever so often to have a change of pace. Anyway, here's the latest pics, enjoy. Till next time.

IMG_3407%203.jpg

IMG_3408%203.jpg

IMG_3410%202.jpg

IMG_3411%202.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work! No, I don't think its just you who feels helicopter kits are a bit more challenging to build. I find they do need a lot more forward planning than your average aircraft kit, almost akin to biplanes in a way. Then, of course there are usually more areas of highly visible detail to consider as well.

Hang on in there you will be fine!

Martin