NF Meteors.

huvut76g7gbbui7

Isn't there a canopy mask in the MPM inspired Xtrakit T7??

. . . Kes (who has a few Meteors in the stash)

Yes there is although I have read adverse comments about them, a modeller on Hyperscale complaining that they were too stiff. The canopy in the T.7 kit looks a bit better than the one in the Matchbox NF though.

If it's any consolation, AW sprayed the NF canopies before installing the transparencies - which is why they were all just one colour on build.

Dennis

• Like 1

Too stiff eh? Their masks are made from cast vinyl so if he had warmed them up a bit I'm sure they'd've been fine, I've not had a problem with them, then again I don't model in the fridge! Ha!

. . . Kes (erm?)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

One the verge of starting up the Matchbox NF as my next build and found this thread very helpful, as are Julien's excellent walkarounds. I just wondered are there any plans/drawings online anywhere to compare with the model for scribing purposes?

Regards to all,

Tony

One the verge of starting up the Matchbox NF as my next build and found this thread very helpful, as are Julien's excellent walkarounds. I just wondered are there any plans/drawings online anywhere to compare with the model for scribing purposes?

Regards to all,

Tony

I don't know about online Tony but in my humble opinion the best drawings of the NF Meteors will be found in the Warpaint publication on the subject (Number 22).

The drawings were done by the late David Howley but researched by John Adams ("John Aero" on BM) of Aeroclub.

With those two names attached - they are OK by me.

Dennis

(The Original "Mr. Picky")

• Like 1

Dennis, thank-you for this feedback. I'm now off to hunt said publication down. So that's who Mr. Aero is! :)

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Kind regards,

Tony

Just a footnote. If you want to make a correct length Matchbox Mk.14, just use the Mk.12 nose parts on the fuselage with the 14 tail, wide intakes and cockpit / canopy parts.

John

I gather we've you to thank for pointing out this error in the first place John :)

Thanks for the nudge on the '14 nose. Still debating whether to go for a 12 or 14 , though the 'Victorian greenhouse' canopy on the former looks a harder masking job. Part of me wants to do something mad like have the nose opened up to show the radar as I haven't seen this done at 1/72', but I doubt my scratch building skills are sufficiently robust at the present.

Cheers for the info,

Tony

Just extending this thread with a query about images of the AI Mk.21 radar on NF marks - am toying with the notion of detailing my build with the nose section swung open to reveal the radar internals but can't for the life of me discover any images to base this upon. Am I just a poor picture researcher or are such images rarer than hens teeth for the Meteor?

Regards to all,

Tony

Edited by TheBaron

Modellers dater file no 8 by Sam publications has a couple of pictures taken from the maintenance manual of the radar instalation.plus heaps of useful photos of the rest of the meteor airframe.

• Like 1

Modellers dater file no 8 by Sam publications has a couple of pictures taken from the maintenance manual of the radar instalation.plus heaps of useful photos of the rest of the meteor airframe.

Curses! Now I've no excuse for not attempting this...

Many thanks for your help on this fatalbert.

Tony

Ps. Had to edit this as my autocorrect managed to turn your name into 'fatal beef'...

Edited by TheBaron

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about online Tony but in my humble opinion the best drawings of the NF Meteors will be found in the Warpaint publication on the subject (Number 22).

The drawings were done by the late David Howley but researched by John Adams ("John Aero" on BM) of Aeroclub.

With those two names attached - they are OK by me.

Dennis

(The Original "Mr. Picky")

Excuse my manners Dennis. Am tardy seeing your response having got immersed in actually building the thing. Will dig out those drawings. Many thanks for your reply. Tony. Edited by TheBaron

Just a note. The Radar nose cone does not swing open. It is supported on a special trolley and the the ten King quick release fasteners are unclipped. The Radome is then drawn forwards and away leaving the scanner exposed. Likewise the rest of the nose portion is moved in a similar way on a trolley after the scanner, modularor and transceiver have been removed. After disconnecting the nose wheel door struts and undoing the four longeron bolts the whole lot including the nose wheel door, back to the nose bulkhead is moved forwards leaving the undercarriage attached to the fuselage support frames. Tail trestles will be fitted.

John

Neg258_zps2mueujhd.jpg

Neg259_zpscgf3nyws.jpg

• Like 4

This graphic is invaluably detailed John - thank you so much for bothering to hook this out of your archives.

The absence of hinges had made me suspect as much, and then seeing the boys at YAM manhandling the radome on WS7888 at the weekend here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?137187-A-W-Meteor-NF-14-WS788-Restoration-Thread/page5

confirmed the procedure.

To be clear from your description though, there would have been two trolleys involved in the removal process - one for the radome removal, the other for the eqpt. bay behind the scanner?

Thanks again,

Tony

To further complicate things, the aircraft is jacked up so that the wheels are just touching the ground at the start of operations. Two trolleys might be available at base but the AP suggests that the same trolley is used after two lifting rings have been inserted in the Radome to lift it off the trolley so that the trolley can be available for the second operation.

However I suggest that you ignore the second operation, that of the nose removal, which would only be required if the nose portion were damaged or access was needed to other adjacent structures.

John

That sounds like a plan John :D

Mine will be scanner revealed, radome on trolley. Nothing else. Any more and it will turn onto a ground crew diorama....

Thanks for that sir.

Tony

Just a note. The Radar nose cone does not swing open. It is supported on a special trolley and the the ten King quick release fasteners are unclipped. The Radome is then drawn forwards and away leaving the scanner exposed. Likewise the rest of the nose portion is moved in a similar way on a trolley after the scanner, modularor and transceiver have been removed. After disconnecting the nose wheel door struts and undoing the four longeron bolts the whole lot including the nose wheel door, back to the nose bulkhead is moved forwards leaving the undercarriage attached to the fuselage support frames. Tail trestles will be fitted.

John

Neg258_zps2mueujhd.jpg

Neg259_zpscgf3nyws.jpg

Can you let me know where you got a copy of the AP from?

Thanks

XVTonker