New 1/72nd Revell Halifax Mk.III- DONE,...FINISHED!

tonyot

Hello,

Here is the Halibag so far with the decals on;

DSCF6567_zpsbqetu5ts.jpg

DSCF6569_zpszmwavsml.jpg

I`ve decided to depict MZ500 as it might have looked in early September 1944 after it had been repaired following flak damage in August and returned to service having been re coded from C8-N to C8-L. Later in September it had a H2S radar mapping set fitted with the distinctive radome below the rear fuselage replacing the Preston-Green gun fairing which was previously fitted and as we`ve done so much research into this I`ve decided to try and replicate the gun position.

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edit- I forgot to add that I need to slightly re-contour the demarcation between the black and upper surfaces just in front of the serial after seeing a photo of the real aircraft!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

A fascinating WIP build, I really love the research you do too. I find the research as rewarding as the actual builds.

I have just bought one of these to build for a friend who's grandfather flew them with 462 Sqn towards the end of the war. A bit out of my comfort zone and area of expertise being a Luftwaffe fan so I'm a bit worried that I'll get it obviously wrong. I don't need to go for super accuracy so will be building OOB but have found decals for one of the aircraft that the Gentleman flew which is a nice bonus. Is there anything I should watch out for with this kit other than what's already been pointed out in your build?

Duncan B

Thanks everybody,

Glad you like it so far,....I`ve had a bit of a break as I made it to Telford,.....I`ll get back into it again asap!

Cracking scheme Tony, wasn't this the scheme that Chris jephcott did in 1/48 a few years ago?

Cheers Neil,....it was great to see you at the weekend. I`m not aware of anybody else doing this particular Halifax,...if Chris did it then I`d be interested to see how he went about it as I`ve had to use a little guesswork, especially whether the codes were outlined in yellow during September 1944.

A fascinating WIP build, I really love the research you do too. I find the research as rewarding as the actual builds.

I have just bought one of these to build for a friend who's grandfather flew them with 462 Sqn towards the end of the war. A bit out of my comfort zone and area of expertise being a Luftwaffe fan so I'm a bit worried that I'll get it obviously wrong. I don't need to go for super accuracy so will be building OOB but have found decals for one of the aircraft that the Gentleman flew which is a nice bonus. Is there anything I should watch out for with this kit other than what's already been pointed out in your build?

Duncan B

Hiya Duncan,

What a nice reason for building a Halibag and a change is as good as a rest,....I`m on thin ice when I build Luftwaffe stuff too and need all the help that I can take so I know what you mean!

The main thing with the Revell Halifax is to check the windows on the subject that you are doing and then decide upon which ones to fill in on the model and which to keep as glazings,....both in the nose and in the rear fuselage as the portholes here could differ too. Behind the pilot there is a seat for the Air Engineer which wasn`t on the real aircraft so that can be removed and there are some bars in the glazing above this which need to be added if you are going for accuracy,....I`ll be showing these later and did them on my previous Merlin engined Halibag from a few weeks ago.

Other than that the main thing for you to remember is not to put mottles or crosses on the flipping thing and just enjoy it!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

Great to catch up again and although only briefly, we had a good laugh :)

Was you there on Sunday? Didn't see you, although we was nattering most of the day!

Here's Chris's Halibag, looks like I was mistaken, but you can see why...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79172-148-fonderie-miniatures-halifax-b-mkiii/page-11

Cheers Chris,

Glad you like it mate,......I`ve put some matt varnish on it today and begun to weather it so hopefully it will be finished soon!

Hi Tony,

Great to catch up again and although only briefly, we had a good laugh :)

Was you there on Sunday? Didn't see you, although we was nattering most of the day!

Here's Chris's Halibag, looks like I was mistaken, but you can see why...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79172-148-fonderie-miniatures-halifax-b-mkiii/page-11

Yes it was great to catch up with you too mate and yeah it was a good laugh wasn`t it! Yes I was there on Sunday but only got there at lunchtime after the Cenotaph.

Ah,.....yes I can see why you thought that my `Bambi' was the same as the one that Chris was doing,......I was following that one myself!

Right that is enough yes`s,.....otherwise I`ll start banging the top of the table and have people looking at me funny,.......(Meg Ryan,...When Harry Met Sally?)

All the best mate and good luck with the Manc,

Tony

Hello,Tony - What more superlatives can I add? She's one Helluva fine Halifax and a fine tribute to the type and to your Fettling Finesse.All the very best,Paul.

Cheers Paul,

You`ve given me another `fettling' catch phrase now! It looks a lot duller now as I`ve covered the glossy finish and then gluped watercolour paint over it ready to highlight the panel lines! I`ll add a piccy tomorrow when/if we get any suitable daylight!

Cheers matey,

Tony

Hi gentlemen. It is a lovely build going on here. I'm building this kit myself, and although I won't do as good or thorough a job as Tony, I'm really pleased to be able to take advantage of all the wisdom unfolding here.

I thought you might be interested in this: images of the Hercules nacelles from the Revell Halifax III, the CMR Lancaster MkII conversion set for the Revell Lancaster, and the Airfix Beaufighter:

qIq5loU.jpg

KCkMzcR.jpg

VEalGYy.jpg

Cheers for that comparison Peter, to be honest I cannot decide between them!

In this latest update I`ve applied the matt varnish and done some slight weathering using Mig pigments for the oil and exhaust staining with some chipped paint represented using silver enamel;

DSCF6572_zpscjxll9kp.jpg

DSCF6573_zpspgdwluri.jpg

DSCF6571_zpslfqxmh9x.jpg

So just the turrets, glazing and antennae etc to add and the model should soon be finished,

Cheers

Tony

PS- Oh yeah,......I also need to paint and polish up the exhausts and exhaust collector ring,....I`ll probably use Humbrol polished steel with some other colours dry brushed over to replicate heat staining.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Hiya Folks,

Here is my last update as the model is finally finished!!!

The ventral gun position was made from a converted old Airfix Catalina turret, using the kits glider towing bracket as a gun mount with the kits .5 Browning nose gun in place upon it;

DSCF6596_zpsqucuphds.jpg

It might be slightly too small but hey, I can live with it!

Here is the finished model;

DSCF6574_zpsb3rb2cca.jpg

DSCF6585_zpspp8rza5x.jpg

I`ll sort out a RFI later. Thanks to everybody who followed this build and for your encouragement and help along the way,.....as always it means a lot!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 16

Just read from start to finish. Great detail following the research which I always like to be checking before a build. I know now why I purchased so many aeroplane reference books.

Lovely finish, I personally cant seen much difference in the props.

The thing with the bomb symbols, Not so much to mark up the Ops flown by individual crews but the groundcrew keeping a record of THEIR aircraft, they didnt always keep up the tally on a day to day basis.