Douglas F3D/F-10 Skyknight options

dpm1did1

I've always fancied making an all black Korea bird, or a late Vietnam Electric wizzy, wither USN or USMC. (Also used by the US Army too, but details are scarce to say the least. I suspect test aircraft only?)

Can I safely assume the Sword release has been abandoned?

So that leaves:

72: Matchbox or 48: Encore

A choice between an old kit in my preferred scale) or an expensive one.

I know there are issues reported with the fit of the matchbox canopy, and lack of cockpit detail is pretty much a given, so a rare trip to the aftermarket will be likely to achieve food results.

Have I missed anything? If I stumble across a MB kit is it still worth the effort considering the lack of competition (note: whilst I don't mind basic detail I don't want to be filling trenches)

all three are the only game in town and worthy of building. l have the Matchbox item on the workbench at them moment and it was hard to find one. There is for the sword and Matchbox a much better cockpit set for them both. Funny Revell did not reissue it.

I've always fancied making an all black Korea bird, or a late Vietnam Electric wizzy, wither USN or USMC. (Also used by the US Army too, but details are scarce to say the least. I suspect test aircraft only?)

Can I safely assume the Sword release has been abandoned?

So that leaves:

72: Matchbox or 48: Encore

A choice between an old kit in my preferred scale) or an expensive one.

I know there are issues reported with the fit of the matchbox canopy, and lack of cockpit detail is pretty much a given, so a rare trip to the aftermarket will be likely to achieve food results.

Have I missed anything? If I stumble across a MB kit is it still worth the effort considering the lack of competition (note: whilst I don't mind basic detail I don't want to be filling trenches)

Try herehttps://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/sword-172-douglas-f3d-skyknight/

Selwyn

The 1/48 Encore kit is the old Czech Models kit, so look for reviews of that one if you want to know what's in the Encore box. I built the Czech Models kit a couple of years ago. Even though it was one of the more difficult kits I've build over the years, I enjoyed it. Nothing fit well, so you'll need a good supply of sandpaper, filler, and beer, but the kit looks good when finished.

Ben

I won't be building a 48scale one anyway, I like 72 and it's size rather than cost that matters (big builds=big subjects rather than big scales in my case).

However it doednt mean I don't like seeing them as they often go hand-in-hand with a smaller one, albeit not always from the same manufacturer.

Generally speaking if theres demand for a £50 48th, then a £15 72nd is usually hidden somewhere.

Mayne I'll get more look with a WIP or review of the original Czech model. All useful refs should I indulge myself one day :)

So the Sword does exist...!

It doesnt show on Hannants at all, and is OOS on the Sword site.

Only the 72 shows up at all, was there a 48 released?

Saw several of the Sword 1/72 kits at my LHS today.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

If you want an EC-10B then the Sword kit comes with decals for one, also Wolfpack did these on one of their sheets. I used these on the old matchbox kit;

skyknightrightfinish.jpg

EC-10B...now that's an invitation to a WIFF if ever I heard one! Now who makes a 144th K/DC-10?

The F-10 is slowly creaping up the wishlist close to the point where I start dropping hints to local shopkeepers as to availability on their lists...(or a lucky 2nd hand find)

Edited by dpm1did1

The matchbox kit is actually nice. No interior to speak of, nice raised panel lines, decent 150 gal. tanks, good shape, correctly a little shorter than the Sword kit. Canopy needs careful fitting.

Sword costs more, recessed panel lines, nice decals and interior, some conduit trunking to be removed, better fine details. Either can be built into a nice accurate replica, the Sword a bit easier, probably.