Argentine AF 1/48 Meteor F4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Yes, she will be built. I've taken rather longer to get moved in than I hoped not helped by the amount of overtime at work recently. In fact I've got the books and kit on the table ready to photograph when it gets light(er).

And here are the pictures:

tumblr_nys3d00QWK1t8blhlo1_540.jpg

The compulsory sprue shot with added poly bags and a tiny bit of my microwave wonder oven. Tamiya F3 1/48th offering brought cheap here on BM

tumblr_nys3d00QWK1t8blhlo2_540.jpg

Here be the interesting bits. Red Roo 100 gallon tanks which look beautiful, Eduard etch which the cockpit (at least) really cries out for, Condor Decals Argentinian schemes complete with Spanish stencils, correct Humbrol colours as thread noted above and finally Heritage Aviation's rather nice looking F4 conversion.

There is an F4 at the Midland Air Museum and a Model Fair there this Sunday so I will try to attend with camera, I don't think the instrument panel changed much, if at all from the Mk.3. The etch for the wheel wells looks like it will fit the Heritage wing so that's all good.

There is a sunken area in the centre section of the Heritage wing but this looks to be under the belly tank so no worries, even if it is an issue a smear of P-38 should deal with it.

The Tamiya kit is a much better fit than the Italeri F-117 that has just defeated me in What-If? III so I hope for a better experience while the aforementioned project rolls into KUTA VIII (and maybe IX as well!)

First job is trimming the fuselage to take the wings, Heritage give very good instructions on what to do so I hope for a good start.

Smoke me a kipper I'm going in....

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 2

Hi Dave

Yes, she will be built. I've taken rather longer to get moved in than I hoped not helped by the amount of overtime at work recently. In fact I've got the books and kit on the table ready to photograph when it gets light(er).

And here are the pictures:

tumblr_nys3d00QWK1t8blhlo1_540.jpg

The compulsory sprue shot with added poly bags and a tiny bit of my microwave wonder oven. Tamiya F3 1/48th offering brought cheap here on BM

tumblr_nys3d00QWK1t8blhlo2_540.jpg

Here be the interesting bits. Red Roo 100 gallon tanks which look beautiful, Eduard etch which the cockpit (at least) really cries out for, Condor Decals Argentinian schemes complete with Spanish stencils, correct Humbrol colours as thread noted above and finally Heritage Aviation's rather nice looking F4 conversion.

There is an F4 at the Midland Air Museum and a Model Fair there this Sunday so I will try to attend with camera, I don't think the instrument panel changed much, if at all from the Mk.3. The etch for the wheel wells looks like it will fit the Heritage wing so that's all good.

There is a sunken area in the centre section of the Heritage wing but this looks to be under the belly tank so no worries, even if it is an issue a smear of P-38 should deal with it.

The Tamiya kit is a much better fit than the Italeri F-117 that has just defeated me in What-If? III so I hope for a better experience while the aforementioned project rolls into KUTA VIII (and maybe IX as well!)

First job is trimming the fuselage to take the wings, Heritage give very good instructions on what to do so I hope for a good start.

Smoke me a kipper I'm going in....

Mate just posted against your comment on my topic so ignore that on now. Fantastic you are doing an Argentinian F4. Look forward to seeing your build.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather less progress than I'd hoped by now but, having made the Big Mistake I hope that things go better now. He said hopefully.

tumblr_nzyksnCVxu1t8blhlo1_540.jpg

First problem came after I'd made the mounts for the Albion Alloys cannon barrels. Tamiya have the cannon barrels pointing noticeably away from the centre line with the troughs being a little short. After a bit of muttering I drilled them at a better angle, lined them with tube which I then sanded back to flush. By the time you read this the fuselage halves will be together so I can add the necessary weight to get the beast to sit properly. I've carved the unwanted parts from the cockpit ahead of a session with Messers Eduard. Hopefully that will be relatively straightforward.....

tumblr_nzyksnCVxu1t8blhlo2_540.jpg

Here are the built up Heritage wings. I'm quite happy with them after filling a couple of depressions in the wing surface and attending to one intake that didn't match too well. I've separated the control surfaces so I can deflect them slightly and to make the afore mentioned filling easier.

Then I repaired the scribing following the Datafile drawings rather than the Warpaint ones which are much better and different. :doh: My fault as I'd blown both up to 48th but not noted which was which properly. :whistle: Fortunately I noticed before attaching them to the fuselage helped by my parallel researching for a Sea Meteor I'll be doing in the Made in GB GB. That has all been filled and smoothed down helped by listening to Devin Townsend's Epicloud. After a good snooze and a restful night shift I'll get on with this tomorrow.

Need to do much better now :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...