Chieftain Mk.11 Anti Slip Coating

darson

I am about to make a start on Takom's Chieftain Mk.11 and I had a question on the anti-slip coating.

According to Richard Kent in his Mk.11 build article, he states that "The Hull front on a Chieftain is a single casting and in service the British Army version of anti slip was applied at least once a year (wet sand thrown onto wet paint then sprayed over)".

My question is around the turret, was a similar wet sand approach used on the turret and how far back and forwards on the turret did it extend?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Not sure about that. From memory the antislip was larger grains than sand but was not applied in my squadron annually. Considering that at unit level everything was brush painted.

It is worth mentioning that top of the tanks got filthy on exercise, particularly the Salisbury plain based ones, in wet weather and any non slip would be covered.

Will

• Like 1

During my time anti slip paint came in cans, paint brushing anti slip olive green IRR reflective. It was down to the Det Commander if he wanted to use it and most didn't as we had a spay gun and compressor in the troop so it was quicker to spray than paint with a brush.

I was lucky enough to receive a AFV 436 from base workshops which was effectively a brand new wagon, that never came with any factory applied anti slip nor did it get any applied at unit level.

The only thing that changed in the mid 90's with H&S coming in was the back loading of the spray gun and compressor which was a real pain as the troop had to brush paint from then on but I only ever saw anti slip being applied once in that time and the reason for that was the stores ran out of standard green paint, all they had was anti slip paint left.

Dan

• Like 1

I can remember seeing some members of the Royal Hoohars brush painting a Chieftain using a bass broom (i.e. stiff bristles), with the paint in a drip tray, with some sand from around the hangars chucked into the drip tray as well.

That must have been before late '83 which is when they got the first Challenger I's

Many thanks for the replies gents you've been very helpful.

In terms of whether anti-slip is visible or not the answer is a definite maybe, on Israeli vehicles it is extremely noticeable because of the size of the particles they use. For others such as the Abrams not so much unless you get up close.

I think I'll experiment with some Tamiya texture paste on scrap and figure out if I could be bothered or not.

Cheers