1/72n Revell Fairey Gannet AS.1 with wingfold

Revell’s Gannet AS.1, with AlleyCat resin wingfold, some brass and steel rods and a jar full of lead weight in the nose! Xracrylic paints – my first go, and possibly my last – and CAM decals for the Pirate motif.

Only problems were, the canopies were all to narrow for the cockpit openings and all, subsequently, have cracked. Conversely the bomb bay doors were to narrow for the fuselage opening and needed a bit of cut’n’shut to fit.

The wings went on OK. Brass rod needed to add a bit of strength to the setup. Alignment was fiddley and I didn’t get it quite right, but overall it looks the part.

Any and all comments welcome.

pic_13.jpg

pic_14.jpg

pic_15.jpg

pic_16.jpg

pic_17.jpg

pic_18.jpg

pic_19.jpg

cheers

Grant

• Like 53

Outstanding work there!

Last year I got a Revell Gannet while I was on holiday in Cornwall, all the canopies were cracked and I also had bomb bay issues- although I fixed mine open a tad.

I also messed up the nose gear and as a result it tips forward with the props hitting the floor :D (thankfully it's hung from the ceilling so no-one's the wiser! :P )

Anyway, cracking build sir!

Sam

Hello,Grant - My compliments to you on a beautiful build of your Gannet'.I love the wing-fold aspect and the quality of detail and finish.She really looks the part and you have transformed what may be considered an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.All the best,Paul.

That's a really terrific Gannet. Love the wing fold. Somehow they don't look right parked with the wings spread.

I was thinking how, with the winds folded, the model just doesn't look finished! Still, it doesn't take up much room!

I would say you have pretty much nailed the beast! The only thing I might have done differently, would have to have shortened the undercarriage legs a little as from the pictures it looks like Revell have moulded them as not being under compression, although that might just be the camera angle.

Martin

OK, I've spotted it now, it's photos of a real aircraft which you are trying to pass off as a kit !

Well you haven't fooled me for one minute....

Seriously great job, many reading this have the old frog / novo one lurking in the stash and are now rightly feeling guilty for not having built it. Congratulations.....what can we look forward to next ?

Cheers Pat

• 1 year later...

Cracking looking Gannet build there! Looks just so with the wings folded, lovely detail in the folds.

Martin is right, in that Revell moulded the main undercarriage legs in their uncompressed state.

A bit fiddly to correct as it effects the torque links.

Hello Grant,

Considering all the encountered problems, you finished it into a real winner.

Let me know when you got first prize in the competition. 

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Hi Grant,

this is a grand job!

Please confirm that with this Revell kit, we are dealing with a reboxing of the old Frog?

The one with the head of the three crews sticking out of a plugged cockpit, along with not much detail all over?

If that is the case, you are to be complimented in even attempting a wing fold on the beast!!!

Congrats on a real winner.

JR