1/72 - Northrop A-17 Nomad Mk.1 by Special Hobby - released - new variant Saab B-5 released

Homebee

Dang! Now I'll have to try and convince SWMBO to loosen a little of the retirement funds to get that one. A good Canadian should absolutely have one of those.

I should start begging now.

Chris

• Haha 1

I always rather fancied a Nomad, but perhaps the South African one rather than the Canadian. Nothing wrong with the latter, of course... However, I resisted the Dutch one in its even more interesting scheme, so perhaps not. I'd certainly want to know if it has proper plastic canopies - I have too many MPM/DH kits abandoned because of yellowed vacform canopies.

I always rather fancied a Nomad, but perhaps the South African one rather than the Canadian. Nothing wrong with the latter, of course... However, I resisted the Dutch one in its even more interesting scheme, so perhaps not. I'd certainly want to know if it has proper plastic canopies - I have too many MPM/DH kits abandoned because of yellowed vacform canopies.

Not the same, I realise, but my new N3PB from Special Hobby has injection canopies and very nice they are too!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I`ve just bought one and it has an injection moulded canopy.

Would love to see your build of this, Tony. You make such great models. Looking at the marking options, I'm thinking the striped variants will be interesting to pull off on 2 counts:

1. Lining up the painted stripes with the yellow/black underwing serials.
  2. Matching the yellow of the decals to the model paint.

I'd probably chicken out but I know you're made of sterner stuff (and way better modelling-fu than me!). :)

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

During WW2 (I don't remember the exact dates), the Swedish Air Force did not display national insignia on the upper wing surfaces. Special Hobby has apparently not got this correct.

Nils

1 hour ago, Vingtor said:

During WW2 (I don't remember the exact dates), the Swedish Air Force did not display national insignia on the upper wing surfaces. Special Hobby has apparently not got this correct.

Nils

June ’40 to june ’44, when they were fed up with Germans insisting on shooting down planes without marking (they were assuming they were Russian I suppose). The aluminium plane looks like it follows the 1944 regulations, but would in that case be winter 44/45, when the last B 5s were retired. The F4 wing did experiment with other markings, but I have no photos of a plane showing crown markings on the upper side wings.