1/32 B-17G Diorama

Several months back I posted this B-17 as a finished model. It is of course the HK models kit. The customer I built it for asked at the time for me to make a diorama for it. Here it is, faults and all.

Before you tell me it's not realistic to have things positioned on the diorama like they are, please appreciate I get requested to fit certain things onto a base. This particular customer wanted it very busy, and have certain installations to be present. I have to incorporate them within certain size limitation requirements too. So whilst somewhat unrealistic- the customer wanted it, so the customer got it.
The aircraft and a few figures are 1/32, and everything else is 1/35, this was done due to product available to me at the time.

A few additions to the model are:
-Interior lighting
-Exterior lighting
-Working engines.

There is no sound, however the engines do start in sequence, thanks to my workmate Adam Butler who as done all of the electrical work on it. The electrics make it into the aircraft through the tires, then are disguised as brake lines, before making it to a small circuit board in one of the wings.

-Figures are from MasterBox, Italeri and Tamiya. Most of them are custom positioned, with lots of Milliput.

-The Tractor is custom built starting with the Tamiya Tilly truck, and plenty of Evergreen. It has been made by my boss Richard Thompson.

-The bomb trolleys are scratch built by Adam. Bombs are left overs from the HK B-25 I've previously built.

-Bofors gun is the Italeri kit, which comes with the figures included. The sandbags are scratch built from Milliput.

-The 'Follow me' Jeep is the Italeri kit, which has had LED lights put in the front of it. The Checker board pattern is a decal which comes in the kit.

-The Fuel truck is modified from an Italeri water truck kit, and has custom light boom and fuel line box attached.

-All other accessories are from Tamiya and Italeri field accessory sets. There is quite a bit of customising done on a lot of the items.

-The grass is a sheet of wargaming grass, which as been sanded with 80 grit to weather it, and then airbrushed to get a more realistic effect.

-The tarmac is 360 grit sandpaper, which has been cut into squares then painted.

Please excuse the large number of photos, I didn't know which ones to exclude, so put a lot in.

Regards,
Alan

IMG_0266%20copy.psd%20mod_zpsarekwktk.jp

IMG_0268_zps3qtdawza.jpg

IMG_0269_zpssdn54bno.jpg

IMG_0271_zpstohe5mrg.jpg

IMG_0272_zpswhm0ypwc.jpg

IMG_0274_zpsp4cgpmkj.jpg

IMG_0277_zpsjn3kyqxe.jpg

IMG_0282_zpsddnjjrxp.jpg

IMG_0291_zpswccdo2hr.jpg

IMG_0291_zpsrtii5kdk.jpg

IMG_0290_zps7pascxqr.jpg

IMG_0286%20copy.psdmod_zpsskb0ezrl.jpg

IMG_0292_zpsggrkqc4z.jpg

IMG_0293_zpskajyelrm.jpg

IMG_0294%20copy.psdmod_zpsxum6xxmp.jpg

IMG_0295_zps0tudpbbx.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsnzrkjyv8.jpg

IMG_0298_zpsxp4lirv9.jpg

IMG_0303_zps5upcsodi.jpg

IMG_0306_zpszbnudfdx.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsnwahjcjb.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsh530ed68.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsrggiwgfr.jpg

IMG_0316_zps0mnrjst8.jpg

IMG_0318_zpsrkh1ur8x.jpg

IMG_0321_zpsgyn0mnsf.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsena2pjbo.jpg

IMG_0326_zps1byqwx1j.jpg

IMG_0327_zps9wfycvxf.jpg

IMG_0332_zpsetgpnn1r.jpg

IMG_0335_zpscrmta9ls.jpg

IMG_0351_zpsvfiwtwdx.jpg

IMG_0355_zpsmluq8xrn.jpg

IMG_0367_zpsolchtas3.jpg

IMG_0371_zps7fryl2ew.jpg

• Like 50

Fabulous work! The night time photos especially are stunningly evocative. And, a detail that I appreciate for special reasons – the offset front wheels of the tanker. Really helps to bring the vehicle alive.

Don't worry about 'realistic' grouping – a diorama is a piece of condensed reality. If it were laid out according to dispersal regulations, etc., it would be boring empty space, mostly.

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

R159, on 12 Oct 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

Fantastic, how big is it?!

Skyhunter66, on 12 Oct 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

Absolutely fabulous - would love to get a perspective of how big it is!

Chris

It is approx 4 ft long, and 3 foot wide, the base is hollow, so doesn't weigh much.

Brilliant work and great photography too! Not sure where are but id love to see this at Telford....?

It's in Auckland, New Zealand. Alan's a very good mate of mine, so I've had the privilege of seeing the diorama in the "flesh", and it's every bit as good as the photos suggest, but far more imposing in 3-dimensions.

Should be displayed in a museum. Incredible work.

Ian.

It's in Auckland, New Zealand. Alan's a very good mate of mine, so I've had the privilege of seeing the diorama in the "flesh", and it's every bit as good as the photos suggest, but far more imposing in 3-dimensions.

Where in Auckie ?? - Is it publicly displayed ??

Ian.

• Like 1