Saudi Tornado

DaveJL

Hello all,

Sitting in Gatwick airport after picking up a copy of the Tornado special by Key Publishing.

I've a good run of builds planned for the new year and would like to add a Saudi Tornado to this after reading through the magazine. I've a few questions:

1) Are all the Saudi IDS Tornados now painted in the overall grey? If so, what would be the best colour for that?

2) Are Hindenburg tanks, Sky Shadow and Boz pods all standard?

3) Any 1/48 decals out there for the Saudi machines? I've noticed they're quite low viz, like the F-15S.

4) Any good sites with pictures of armament?

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

There's a desert camo one still around up at Warton, at least upto a few days ago.

Saw a pic a couple off years back with one in the UK armed with an orange/black Storm Shadow missile for tessting.

Regards,

Gerard

Hi Dave,

I was led to believe that only some units operated the overall Grey jets while others still operated the Brown/Green

scheme, of course things might have changed.

As for decals, Caracal were/are going to release a sheet covering both schemes for the Tornado and also the Typhoon.

They appear to operate with both styles of underwing tanks. Most pictures of Saudi Tornados on the net are taken outwith

Saudi while on deployment to Europe/USA, where the larger capacity of the Hindenburger tanks are required for ferrying

purposes. The few pictures I can find taken in Saudi show both styles in use. Boz and Skyshadow are standard.

Cheers Chaps.

Just noticed the Caracal sheet over on ARC, thanks for the heads up, will be getting one of those sheets! I do like the camo scheme on them, but also think the grey looks very smart and would look well alongside my F-15S.

Dave

Yes they are, also note that Saudi use the IRIS-T instead of ASRAAM and the Thales Damocles pod instead of LITENING.

Great, cheers mate. Just need to decide now on weather to do a camo or grey jet!

Are they also fitted with BOL rails?

I got the impression that they are being repainted as they go through the MLU.

Shame, as that camo is the best ever applied to a Tornado in my opinion. And it looks good on the Hawk as well.

Camo does look well, i also think the grey looks smart.

Cheers mate, all i need. Hopefully Revell's new GR4 will come with BOL rails :lol:

I changed my reply to the BOL rails, I can't identify them in the linked picture. What I thought was the Chaff dispenser

is actually the rear of the acquisition round.

Edit: Now know what I'm looking for and I can't find any pic with them carried.

Edited by scotthldr

Yes they are, also note that Saudi use the IRIS-T instead of ASRAAM and the Thales Damocles pod instead of LITENING.

That's the case with their Typhoons, but I don't know if their Tornados carry IRIS-T and I've never seen a picture of an RSAF Tornado with IRIS-T. I thought they still carried AIM-9...

I think it is recent addition to Tornado, within this year at most.

Will make for an interesting weapons fit!

On their area in ARC they are saying about the beginning of next year.

Fits in well with my build schedule.

The Saudis don't currently carry IRIS-T on Tornado, although it is carried by German Tornado's.

Selwyn