Will Airfix do any of these in 1/72 ( new Tool)?

Steven Corvi

I am wondering since Airfix did a very ncie job on the 1/72 Supermarine Swift (and 1/48 Sea Vixe)... if they will be doing any new tool kits of these in 1/72 or even 1/48??:

-Sea Venom (desperately needed--the Cyberhoby kit is not very good)

-Supermarine Scimitar (only recent kits are the CMR and Xtrakit)

-Blackburn Buccaneer

1/48 Hunter & Sea Venom (again)

Any ideas guys?

Steve

Yes indeed. Airfix will do all of them, in all scales.....

sooner, or later.......

• Like 1

Where's the Aichi D3A Val to complete the Pearl Harbour set?

...And the SBD-3 Dauntless to complete the Midway set (actually, I think we'll need an F2A-3 Buffalo as well and some lovely TBD-1 Devastators).

TBF/TBM Avengers are an obvious follow-on with Hellcats and Corsairs next

Edited by VMA131Marine

Yes indeed. Airfix will do all of them, in all scales.....

sooner, or later.......

Well, it's been 60 years already (since the first Airfix kit was issued). What are they waiting for?

• Like 1

I'm going to play the Pantomime card...

"...oh no we don't..."

I could happily miss the usual suspects as I prefer things I don't see in 100000000 other WIP threads.

I also believe a rush to release all the 'most wanted' in quick order would result in an over UK-centric large/esoteric catalogue, a huge boost on release, a slow derth of sales later. Better to keep up the current 'few boring then 1 demanded' release schedule - it also means you have time to gossip about 'was it scanning a Phantom?' or'ooh a shack...' before the next one is announced (can't do that if it's drooling every 2 weeks!)

Nothing against the Vs et al but please not at the expense of the Kate's and co.

Where's the Aichi D3A Val to complete the Pearl Harbour set?

I get what you are saying DPM, but you DO realise that this flight of FUNtasy is in the Cold War discussion doodah dont you guys

guys

I want both versions of Hastings myself

Other Fora are available for fantasy fying in other eras ;)

I get what you are saying DPM, but you DO realise that this flight of FUNtasy is in the Cold War discussion doodah dont you guys

guys

I want both versions of Hastings myself

Other Fora are available for fantasy fying in other eras ;)

My point is there more to the Cold War than just the RAF/RN, although that seems to be forgotten.

Where's the numerous USband Soviet types?

Not forgetting numerous Eastern Europe, Japanese, Indian Spanish, and even Argentine designs that saw service 45-90.

Yes I know it's BRITmodeller and Hornby/Airfix are British but it didn't stop then in the golden era from moulding designs from outside the UK, so hopefully they won't limit their sights now either.

Has anybody kept a count of how many 'What Airfix - should - could - are etc etc etc' threads there have been in the last six months ?

Would it be worth the mods making this subject a Sticky ?

My tuppence is I'd love to see a new Javelin and a Sea Vixen, both early and late versions (for both). In the gentleman's scale of course. I wouldn't mind a Scimitar, either, or a new Brick. Regarding the Hastings, who in b****y h*** is bringing that out? Is it in 1/72nd scale? That's one I'd love to see.

Regards,

Jason

More Migs and Yaks too, Starthingies and Skywotsits too of course

Me

Just selfish :)

Not selfish, realistic.

Lets not forget that Airfix (and other manufacturers) would actually like to SELL THEIR KITS! As upsetting as this may be to some putting lots of money,time and effort on to a kit of a plane that never even existed as far as the majority of the World is concerned is not going to happen. The Buccaneer is however a different prospect, much more popular.

• Like 1

SACRILEGE!!! Get yourself down to the FAAM Wez and gaze in wonder at the awesome power, slowness and abysmal safety record of the mighty beast!!!!

Pat

Been there, seen it, still wasn't impressed

Not just sacrilege. but nigh on outright blasphemy, have you forgotten it was the last Supermarine fighter.

Living where I do you're not allowed to forget about Supermarine who along with the Queen Mum, won the war they did.

Or maybe one Supermarine fighter too far?

Now we're getting to the point but what you really mean is "Or maybe one Supermarine fighter too FAT!

Blasphemy! Burn the heretic! :jump_fire:

Martin

Not a heretic, but not a fan of everything made by Supermarine for that matter, after the lovely and lithe Spitfire they just couldn't stop piling on the pounds with their jets, the Swift is the most inappropriately named aircraft and looks like a super-tubby Hunter wannabe, as for the Scimitar... ...that's even fatter!

:tease:

• Like 2

Small story about the Swift... ish

Back in the late fifties early sixties my dad was on t'committee of our local RAFA&K branch and they decided to give the local ATC Squadron a trophy for Cadet of the Year

The agreed design was to be clasped hands with a pair of fighters flying nearby

Dad did the drafts and he couldn't decide whether to use Swift or Hunter for the modern one, so t'committtee made a decide

Spitfire and .....

They chose the wrong 'un ;)

As cadet with 493 later, I never had too collect it from the O/C

Phew

edit to add (slippy old man memory, my mom modelled one of the pair of hands. Me the other)

So my cold War bias began there, mostly RAF, happily FAA and keen enough for AAC too

I'm not against USAF stuff, I did build a Sherpa not so long ago (And a WW11 Catalina) and there some Hasegawa Russkie swing winger in the stash of doom

And US Army helicopters of the cold war, Mucho Grande ;)

Airfix UH1?

Hows about that Airfixes?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I don't know why people are calling for a Scimitar when Airfix has already made them by the thousand.

I distinctly remember their being several in the HMS Victorious kit that I built in the 70s... :)

No I seem to remember that the kit included a few indistinct blobs of plastic purporting to be Scimitars, thankfully the abilities of the Airfix designers has improved dramatically in the intervening years.

I keep wishing for a new tool Republic F-84F Thunderstreak in 1/72.

Now, I'd much rather we had one of these too - all of those interesting colour schemes!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Now, if Airfix are bringing out a JP3 next year, the company might revisit the JP5/Strikemaster.

We have a new Tiger Moth, let's revisit the Chipmunk, the mighty Bulldog (no bias there at all), and perhaps issue a Tutor to bring things up to date.

Hunters with uninterrupted leading edges and appropriate back ends - bring 'em on. Likewise two-seaters with correct profiles.

Revisit Lightnings with small ventral tanks.

Buccaneers, both RAF and WAFU. Please.

Spey Phantoms. Fujimi has ruled the roost for too long.

I hope Airfix makes a special push for RAF subjects in 2018 to mark the centenary of the Service.

Time for my tablets.

I saw it said that Airfix altered their JP3 moulds to make the Strikemaster, but having had both in the past I reckon they destroyed the old JP3 moulds as a public service, not much of that seemed to make it into the JP5/Strikey kit after all

I hope there's a bit of RAF effort made for 2018 too

Then we can go continental, even intercontinental

It's a great world for aviators