Phantom F4F Luftwaffe 'Norm 72' Camo Colours

Skyhunter66

Afternoon folks - I am building the Revell 1:32 Phantom F4F and have the Airdoc decals on order for the Norm 72 camo scheme. It might take a few days for these to arrive and in the meantime I want to crack on with the main camo. I can't quite make out on Google the images for the Airdoc colour call outs so wondered if someone could tell me what the correct colours are for the light grey undersides and the grey/green for the upper sides? Also I am assuming the nose cone is black?

thanks

chris

Bottom is RAL 7001 Silbergrau (Silver grey). Top colors are RAL 7012 Basaltgrau (Basalt grey) and RAL 6014 Gelboliv (Yellow olive)

Xtracolor does all 3, I just used them on my F-84F, and they look very nice.

Great - thanks for that. Do you normally get those paints from Hannants or is there somewhere else to get them from?

Chris

Bottom is RAL 7001 Silbergrau (Silver grey). Top colors are RAL 7012 Basaltgrau (Basalt grey) and RAL 6014 Gelboliv (Yellow olive)

Xtracolor does all 3, I just used them on my F-84F, and they look very nice.

Bottom color for F-4F is RAL 9006 silver.

Hi, all,

I am restricted to Xtracrylixs so I have to be a little more creative. In a recent build I have used FS36118 and ANA613 for the upper colours, and they look satisfactory. The first has an appropriate bluish look, while the Olive Drab has the brownish tinge seen on F-4Fs. Their contrast is also good compared to pictures. For the RAL9006 I made a mix of about 60% Silver and 40 % ADC Grey; it looks silvery enough, but provides a good contrast to true NMF parts.

FErnando

Seems strange you can get Hannants product cheaper using someone else!

Not at all. See the Eduard website!

That said, the problem with Xtracolour (and any other enamel) is not their price per se, but the cost (or impossibility) of delivery overseas (remember the WEMM's saga?)

FErnando

Fernando, don't know if you can get Lifecolor paints in your corner of the world, if you can they have a good RAL 7012 in their range.

Have to say that many years ago, before many paint companies appeared, I used Tamiya's Olive Drab and dark sea grey for this scheme and the final result was actually pretty good

• 3 weeks later...

Giorgio, thanks!

I have finished a F-4F in Norm 72 and a Tornado in Norm 76 (Luftwaffe) and I am pretty satisfied with the look of Xtracrylixs ANA613 on FS36118. I do not think the issue is worth more tries.

What do you think of those colours for the Italian camouflage of the era? And were the undersurfaces painted in a silver-gray or NMF outright?

Thanks again

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

Fernando

Italian colours changed at some point in the '70s, going from gloss to matt and with some change in hue, particularly with the green becoming browner. I'll post more details later when I have access to the various conversion tables. Lifecolors have the relevant paints in their range.

Undersurfaces are painted aluminum, never NMF. Later paints were duller. Early G.91s had blue undersurfaces, similar to PRU blue

• Like 1

Finally found the time to check all the refefences and here's some info.

The first camouflage colours appeared on the Canadair Sabre Mk.4 received from RAF stocks. These were painted in RAF Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue. The same aircrafts later were stripped to natural metal with areas in grey, however the F-104s and G.91s were camouflaged according to the then current colour table AA-M-P100/b

The colours used were:

Grigio Mare Scuro Lucido 2 (dark sea grey gloss 2, the number is the position in the table), very similar to FS 35152, pretty much identical to the German grey and not too different from the RAF colour of the same name

Verde Scuro Lucido 9 (dark green gloss 9), similar to FS 34079 and also to RAF Dark Green

Alluminio Lucido 11 (gloss aluminum 11), a glossy aluminum/silver paint

Personally I'd probably just use the RAF colours for these, although Lifecolor has a good 16152 in their range

In the '70s the table was modified to the AA-M-P100/d standard and a number of new colours were introduced. The ones used for the camo scheme were:

Grigio Mare Scuro Opaco 27 (dark sea grey matt 27), equivalent to FS 36132

Verde Scuro Opaco 28 (dark green matt 28), roughly equivalent to FS 34086. This colour is a brown/green and is available in the Lifecolor range as Aermacchi green

Alluminio Opaco 26 (matt aluminum 26), a dull aluminum paint. Personally I represent this by mixing aluminum and grey.

• Like 1