Armour building for a complete noob...

cmatthewbacon

Because I've wanted one since I first saw Berlin Brigade camo a decade or more ago, I've invested in a Takom Chieftain 10.

I've not built any armour since I was a nipper throwing together Matchbox mini-dioramas in an afternoon. So, I need some advice on tackling a 1/35 beastie...

In particular, armour builders seem to do a lot of building before the paint comes out. What kind of assemblies do I need to get my Chieftain into before painting? Instinct says main hull sans wheels, tracks, wheels, side skirts and turret, but what do the experts do?

Of course, the fiddliness of the camo may have an impact on this, so if you were building a Berlin Brigade tank, what would you do?

Many thanks for all hints and tips!

bestest,M

You seem to have thought correctly fella, tracks wheels and turret are all really you need,

I like to leave the side skirts and barrel off as well before painting just to aid with the detail brush painting

Mainly on the barrel. If you can leave the commanders machine gun off then that will also help as it's normally

Fragile and difficult to get into all the tight spaces if fitted.

Your going for the Berlin scheme so the above should work well, looking forward to seeing the wip.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Armour modelling.

Personally its my niche, i dont get along with aircraft.

The Berlin Brigade cheifie is a great camo, and makes a brill urban dio. However, talk about jumping in feet first without a snorkel!

Its one of the hardest camo jobs to do, especially considering the amount of stowage boxes needing coverage.

BUT, there is nothing wrong with having a good crack at it and learning as you go.

My advice is to get lots of references from all angles, and map out on paper the design.

Then mark each square/rectangle with colour reference and then begin to mask up. Id use tape, and cut with a scalpel on a board, and apply in sections.

Im sure with a little patience and desire, you will make a fine job of it!

• Like 1

With such a complicated cammo pattern, planning is the key. Personally, I'd use a mix of paint then build, and build then paint. I find masking around corners and into crevices a complete pain in the arsenal. Awkward parts (those which either block access to other surfaces or which would be blocked themselves) I would paint first, then fit later. (After the other area had been painted of course) In other words, I'd dry-fit awkward parts, then extrapolate the pattern on the adjoining part and mark it onto the 'un-camouflaged' part, paint it separately, then fit it later. Remember, after the camouflage has been applied, you'll be applying varnishes, decals, more varnishes, washes, pin washes, dry brushing, etc etc and all this will take the eye away from any slight mis-matches in the camouflage pattern. And like Phildagreek said, mud is good. So are cammo nets.

But yes.. paint the wheels while still on the sprue and add camouflage pattern, then do all the varnishing, washes, dry brushing etc, THEN remove them from the spure and construct them. I would paint the rims then (if there is any difference in colour) Stick the wheel on a cocktail stick, place the brush on the rim, keep the brush still and rotate the stick. Don't fix the wheels to the model until the end. I'd construct the upper and lower hulls, adding those parts which are not awkward to paint and do not obscure other parts thus hindering the application of the cammo pattern... so leave off fiddly/small items, paint them fully before fixing in place towards the end of the project. I'd treat the turret, gun barrel, upper hull, side skirts, lower hull and tracks as separate models, only bringing them together at the end for the final varnish/weathering etc.

I don't know if the tracks are single rubber-band type or separate links, but if the former, make sure the join is hidden behind the side-skirts. Either way, paint the tracks to the finished requirement before fitting.

And of course, there are plenty of WIPs on here and videos on the internet, so I'm sure you can find your very own model being painted in exactly the same pattern, stage by stage.

Edited by Badder

Just Remember

Its supposed to look battered and bent

Its dirty ---------- its looks that in real life even after its being washed

I put the tools wrong way round ----------------relax even the crew do

The paint scheme looks rough ------------Mud or Camo nets

Paint chips scuff marks oil petrol stains

Looks like its being driven thru a wall forest river yup it has

THIS IS FUN MODELLING

WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE

YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE

• Like 1

When you've done this Matthew you can get on to an armoured car...just a little beefier than those gorgeous things you usually model! As Dave says, welcome to the dark side!

Thanks for all the help, guys. For reference, I've got the Tankograd Berlin Brigade book (which I've had for years trying to get up the courage/finances for an AA conversion for the Tamiya Chieftain) and now, thanks to Dave, the Photosniper Chieftain as well, so I should be sorted!

bestest,

M.

• Like 1