Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IXc 1/72nd

That's a real cracker!

I started building this kit but abandoned it in favour of the more recent Hurricane. You've inspired me to fill the huge gaps in the wing roots and push on!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How did I miss this little beauty! What an excellent finish. Very well done John. Regards, Joe

• Like 1

Seems like I missed this one first time around as well. Nice work, John! Did you do any extra work in the cockpit? If I recall properly, the new tool Airfix IX is a bit spartan under the canopy.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

How did I miss this little beauty! What an excellent finish. Very well done John. Regards, Joe

Joe, thank you! Very kind of you indeed :).

Seems like I missed this one first time around as well. Nice work, John! Did you do any extra work in the cockpit? If I recall properly, the new tool Airfix IX is a bit spartan under the canopy.

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you, Bill! That's high praise coming from someone of your abilities. No, no extra work on the cockpit - I really wanted to get something finished, so couldn't afford to bog myself down in detailing :D. But it really is a touch on the sparse side...

Looking at that I'd say you definitely have to finish some more, it's superb.

Duncan B

Thank you so much, Duncan! I'll do my level best - I have the Eduard UTI MiG-15 Weekend Edition on the go since last week. I am so slow...

• Like 2

Lovely looking little Spitfire.

Nice to meet a kindred spirit, my rate of completion is also slow, but, that said, it was worth waiting for, very nice indeed.

Thanks, folks! I've tried building faster, but always seem to find a way to procrastinate :D.

Great job John,one of the nicest done most sympathetically weathered Spits on here for ages.

I did the BBMF's MK356 when she was cammo'd and invasion striped as 21*V from around seven years ago,

my stripes were no where near as neat as yours.

You think you take your time?I've got stuff nearly finished that I go back to for a "fiddle" now and then

from around five years ago!!!.

Great job John,one of the nicest done most sympathetically weathered Spits on here for ages.

I did the BBMF's MK356 when she was cammo'd and invasion striped as 21*V from around seven years ago,

my stripes were no where near as neat as yours.

You think you take your time?I've got stuff nearly finished that I go back to for a "fiddle" now and then

from around five years ago!!!.

Miggers, thank you - I take that as a huge compliment!

Again, most kind of you. My secret is sticking my tongue out, holding my breath, and making multiple attempts per stripe :).

Impressive :D.

• Like 2

Top job. Love the Spit in invasion stripe finish.

Lovely - a really neat job and as others have said, well worth the slow-cook approach. The invasion stripes look brilliant to my eye. Justin

Yep, got to agree - that's a stunner.

Nick

Mark, Justin, Nick - thank you!

Miggers, thank you - I take that as a huge compliment!

Again, most kind of you. My secret is sticking my tongue out, holding my breath, and making multiple attempts per stripe :).

Impressive :D.

You're most welcome John and I do mean it.

I've seen some models of Squadron C.O's Spits and also of "modern" Spits that have been done looking as

though the groundies have just dusted the coal house out with them.

Clearly,you've thought about what your subject is,you've researched it and "painted what you see

and not what you think you see"to produce an excellent "historical snapshot in time"of one of JE's Spit.

Very well done.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Clearly,you've thought about what your subject is,you've researched it and "painted what you see

and not what you think you see"to produce an excellent "historical snapshot in time"of one of JE's Spit.

Very well done.

That was my intent, so thank you! Next, in a larger scale :D.

Excellent job, John, well done. I know what you mean about taking for ever to get things together. My last completion was the Spitfire Mk VIII in my avatar picture - that was back in 2008.

Thank you Joseph :). I've always had a soft spot for SEAC aircraft, so your avatar has always caught my attention. Hopefully I can get one finished before 2021...

• Like 1

That was my intent, so thank you! Next, in a larger scale :D.

Thank you Joseph :). I've always had a soft spot for SEAC aircraft, so your avatar has always caught my attention. Hopefully I can get one finished before 2021...

That's nice to know, John, thanks. I don't have that model now as I completed it during a brief sojourn in Connecticut and gave it to a work colleague there. I might possibly still have a copy of that kit's transfer sheet (1/72 Hasegawa) and be able to convert the Airfix Mk IX to a Mk VIII without brutalizing it a great deal.

Now that I think of it, doing a Mk XIV in SEAC colours seems like a sound excuse for getting another PCM kit, as I've already earmarked my present one for Newbury's machine.

That's nice to know, John, thanks. I don't have that model now as I completed it during a brief sojourn in Connecticut and gave it to a work colleague there. I might possibly still have a copy of that kit's transfer sheet (1/72 Hasegawa) and be able to convert the Airfix Mk IX to a Mk VIII without brutalizing it a great deal.

Now that I think of it, doing a Mk XIV in SEAC colours seems like a sound excuse for getting another PCM kit, as I've already earmarked my present one for Newbury's machine.

Then it's high time you did another, and as for needing an excuse, well... who needs one? Just get the kit and get stuck in :D.