Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IXc 1/72nd

Hi folks,

Having been a member of this forum a long, long time, it pained me to realise I'd never posted anything in RFI. Although my start rate is phenomenal, my completion rate is glacial, and this is the only one that's made it from the shelf of doom to the "It's got all of the fiddly bits attached" shelf in a loooong time.

This was painted with Tamiya acrylics (thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner, mixed with a couple of drops of X-22 clear gloss, and sprayed through a Badger Renegade Krome), kit transfers, Winsor & Newton Galeria matte varnish, and chalk pastel weathering. Panel lines were emphasised with a wash concocted from Liquitex Matte Medium, distilled water, flow improver and grey ink. The same mix with different coloured ink was used for leaky-type stains.

Anyway - enough blather. Hope you like:

28614961052_ed60854520_o.jpg

28614960922_98f64f28e3_o.jpg

28614961132_c5f16aaa5f_o.jpg

Edited by John Laidlaw
Changed from Photobucket (boo!) to Flickr (yay!).
  • Like 46

Well it's well worth waiting for despite your "glacial" pace. On average it takes me 6 months to finish a model. I've got enough unbuilt models to last another two lifetimes-oh well! :banghead:

I love your camo and invasion stripes-top work :goodjob: It looks very sharp.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments, folks! Greatly appreciated :). It's also a relief to know I'm not the only one that takes a while to get a model to completion - I see some on this forum knocking out beautiful models faster than I can open a kit box and have a bit of a sort through.

I seem to be on a Spitfire streak at the moment... next up will be the new Airfix Mk.Vb in 1/48th. See you in a couple of years, then!

• Like 1

Very nice Spit ! I always feel uncomfortable with less than 10 projects on the go at one, time most of them do get finished eventually! Somehow whatever "housekeeping" I do the workspace always ends up around 200 x200 mm never ceases to amaze me how the junk grows! MODeller

• Like 2

Very nice Spit ! I always feel uncomfortable with less than 10 projects on the go at one, time most of them do get finished eventually! Somehow whatever "housekeeping" I do the workspace always ends up around 200 x200 mm never ceases to amaze me how the junk grows! MODeller

Ha! I started doing multiple projects with the mistaken belief that it would speed things up a bit a la Model T Ford. Did it work? Did it heck!

• Like 1

I only asked because i have always avoided doing models with them on ,i have a icm spitfire in the stash with decals for j e -j ,i have seen photos with erks painting them with brushes ,and i think getting the right effect would look like i made a mess painting them .

I will stop now, i seem to be rambling .

• Like 1

I only asked because i have always avoided doing models with them on ,i have a icm spitfire in the stash with decals for j e -j ,i have seen photos with erks painting them with brushes ,and i think getting the right effect would look like i made a mess painting them .

I have to admit that I think I got this wrong (along with missing off the pitot)., and may well go back and fix that at some point :). However, I have seen photos of other Spitfires where the landing gear doors were left their normal colour.

Regarding replicating the application method, I always try to avoid the ones where the markings were applied in a hurry for exactly your reason.

Join the club! :D.