a whiffy ballistic missile... --->Photo update 1 (11.10.15) <---

So... my second entry!

The Back-story

In 1981 tensions between the East and West became so high that on the 24th October the USSR and its allies moved west into West Germany, Holland and Sweden. This huge and never-ending assault of soviet tanks was met by swift resistance at the borders, much of this resistance was based around aviation, however, the Soviets came prepared and had installed mobile SA-2 SAM missile sites, which, in the first 3 months shot down 37% of all Western aircraft called to combat. The West was starting to lose the war.

In 1983 a stalemate emerged at the borders of West-germany, Holland and Sweden. The losses continued to amount until one day an ex WW2 lancaster pilot had an idea, one of the reasons for the the nazis' surrender being the continued bombing of key cities such as Berlin.

Edited by raptormodeller

The back-story continued!

It was also well known that NASA was experimenting with mach-10 capable boosters to shorten the journey time to their lunar bases. He thought, why not add explosives into the nose of the rocket? He approached NASA, who liked the idea, who in turn approached the military... who also liked the idea. Several of these missiles were tested in the Mojave desert against captured SA-2 missiles, the Sa-2's simply couldn't keep up with a mach-10 missile, named 'Grizzly' it was ordered into production.

By 1987 enough of these missiles (400 to be exact) had been secretly stockpiled in bunkers in Britain. On the 20th of March that year, 300 were fired at Moscow and Saint Petersburg, 90% reached their target and their secret explosive named POST (Pure Oxygen Suspended Torpex) was causing havoc, literally.

5 More of these monster strikes were carried before on the 17th of November 1993, the USSR surrendered, not a single nuclear missile had been fired by either side in what historians call 'World War 3'.

Photos to come!

Chomp chomp

-raptor

Good to see something different in the GB. We've a plethora of great aircraft projects but it think this is the first missile in any of the What-if GBs so far.

Photo update one, and my surgical tape that I've been using due to my shortage of proper masking tape is a bit stickier than I thought, any ideas on how to scrub off the residue without ruining the paint?

IMG_5746_zpsl49psr4v.jpg

IMG_5744_zpsqk0chr5j.jpg

IMG_5749_zps3z4vurzn.jpg

IMG_5747_zpse3seo0ky.jpg

Chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1