1/24th scale RAF F-4 Phantom FGR.2

Does it involve pots of black and orangy yellow paint...?

Trevor

Nope...

Black Mike is a FG1.

If not the Alcock and Brown F4 I'm guessing on one of the Blue 92 Sqn aircraft.

Now we're getting closer. But don't forget 19 Sqn had a blue bird, too...

Ooowww....no, no I can't, I've been threatened with detention, cessation of tuck rations and 'six of the best' ,(not to mention a visit from the Men in Black) so best play it safe. All I can say is it'll look Very cool when done !

Ooooooooo Matron!!!

From memory on the 50th Anniversary Flypast for the Battle of Britain, there were many F4's sitting on Wattisham's apron. Amongst these were 64 Sqn aircraft- but not sure which type they used.

That said I don't recall a dramatic painted aircraft of theirs.

So are they in the running or just also rans?

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire

Vacforms are definitely not for the squeamish, but results can be rather good. Many years ago I built the Sangar/ Tigger models (what was then ID models) F.8 Meteor 1/32 scale, it wasn't perfect by a long shot, but now looks the part in the 616 Squadron display at Doncaster.

Which if you pull up 616 Squadron display at Aeroventure under images on your search engine shows the model in a cabinet.

It's not the cutting out, or the sanding back the plastic nor scratch building the interiors but among other things, it's having built any spars requires then getting the positioning for them, equal on both sides so that there are no steps!

I may well have to take the plunge and build my Dynavector Gannet, with wingfolds plus the AlleyCat CA detail sets...

From memory on the 50th Anniversary Flypast for the Battle of Britain, there were many F4's sitting on Wattisham's apron. Amongst these were 64 Sqn aircraft- but not sure which type they used.

That said I don't recall a dramatic painted aircraft of theirs.

So are they in the running or just also rans?

No, not planning on a doing a 64 squadron example...

Raspberry Ripple It's at Bentwaters if you need refs.

Now that is a stunning scheme...

It's not the cutting out, or the sanding back the plastic nor scratch building the interiors but among other things, it's having built any spars requires then getting the positioning for them, equal on both sides so that there are no steps!

I may well have to take the plunge and build my Dynavector Gannet, with wingfolds plus the AlleyCat CA detail sets...

I agree. The making of internal bulkheads and spars is the most difficult part of vacforms in my opinion. A profile gauge helps greatly though, and at least gives you a good starting point for making such structural parts.

Another little tip I've picked up on over a few of these builds is to make templates for the bulkheads etc. from scrap cardboard. This saves wasting plastic card if you get it wrong, and it also means that you can store the templates away just in case you do another build of the same kit. When I did my Sanger 1/48th Shackelton AEW2 I kept all of the cardboard bulkheads so when I get around to making an MR3 it'll make the job that much simpler.

And regards to your Dynavector Gannet - I'd say go for it; you'll not find a better quality of vacform out there (Echelon maybe a tad better but those kits are like Hen's teeth these days.) In fact, Dynavector kits will give you far less trouble than many of their injection-moulded cousins!

Tom

I agree that vac-forms are not for the faint harted. I have just finished my first mainly vac-formed kit. The Multi-media Whirlykits P.1121 which fought me every step of the way. Missmatches between almost everything and everywhere though I hope I managed to produce someting reasonable to look at. At least I got it finished in time for a show in Glasgow this weekend so I have a chance to buy a new tube of filler.

Rather than post pictures on here I will just provide a link to the build thread http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40853.0.html

Gondor

I agree that vac-forms are not for the faint harted. I have just finished my first mainly vac-formed kit. The Multi-media Whirlykits P.1121 which fought me every step of the way. Missmatches between almost everything and everywhere though I hope I managed to produce someting reasonable to look at. At least I got it finished in time for a show in Glasgow this weekend so I have a chance to buy a new tube of filler.

Rather than post pictures on here I will just provide a link to the build thread http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40853.0.html

Gondor

Hi Gondor,

It certainly looks like the P.1121 certainly fought you all the way, but it also looks as if the end result was worth it.

And I imagine that it also taught you a lot of new skills along the way, so that when a 'problem' crops up with an injection moulded kit it'll appear quite insignificant! I often find myself thinking that those who moan about a 1mm gap on "Tamigawa's" latest release haven't lived :)

Tom

• Like 3

Always liked the look of this one:

70.jpg

Tricky paint job though. Photo link from the website 74squadron.org.uk

That's what I suggested above.

Apparently it wasn't a flyer as the CO wouldn't allow it, so they had to use a grounded airframe.

Sadly scrapped.

Trevor

Always liked the look of this one:

70.jpg

Tricky paint job though. Photo link from the website 74squadron.org.uk

That is indeed a beautiful scheme, but sadly way beyond my masking and spraying skills!

A little progress to update you on with the big Phantom...

I've continued to work on getting the nose section correct in profile, and I think I'm just about there:

22217523996_dd7c5e565d_c.jpgS1030127 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Apologies once again for the vile colour she's in - Halfords' filler-primer is certainly not the most pleasing on the eye...

I have now removed the forward undercarriage bay ready for the bay itself to be built and detailed:

22217521156_1768e9ebbd_c.jpgS1030131 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And have also started work on the upper part of the cockpit structure. It's important to get this area done first, as I needed to work out the position of the canopy etc., as well as where the cockpit tub below needs to be positioned when it comes to making that:

22243590635_0553b64d3f_c.jpgS1030132 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

With a test-fit of the canopy it's starting to actually resemble a Phantom!

22055544060_0572d90a6c_c.jpgS1030134 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The nose shape is certainly getting there now, but I still need to do some fettling with the extreme nose, but that'll be done in due course:

22055859738_64017dec8c_c.jpgS1030137 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Tom

• Like 14

Tom, what an unbelievable, big kahuna burger of a build... you certainly are the most fearless modeller out there and seeing this 'canvas' of a kit already bending and flexing to your will is what inspires so strongly

..seeing this unfold is just one of those moments you just deliver to us, but you should know how much it is appreciated. Without seeing your Halifax, I would never have thought about trying something whacky and setting out on a journey of my own with an F7F..

Thanks for not just pushing the envelope, but for kicking the whole paper mill down and nuking every envelope ever made :nuke:

Peter

• Like 3

Tom,

Thank you for starting another epic project. The Phantom is an icon and I'm sure you will do it justice.

Compared to some of the Combat models I seen you do and some I have myself this doesn't look too bad...at least the fuselage sides seem to match!

All the Best!

Don

Coming on nicely Tom. Is there a size mis-match between the nose halves? or is it just the floppy doppy, thin plastic. Seems like you made the right choice with the longer nose option but I have a feeling I might just go for a resin replacement. (Robvulcan gave me a huge pile of scrap resin that'll do the job). Look forward to seeing what you do with the cockpit interior....

• Like 1