1/24th scale RAF F-4 Phantom FGR.2

Hmm, yellow and black stripes first I think, then blue dots on aniseed jelly

No, not the paint job, the Allsorts of first choice tonight

:)

Having the nerve to hack these halves apart, THAT is the kind of nerve - skill - ability that sets you vacformers apart from ordinary oiks like me

I wonder what plans you have got that specifically cover Spey powered Phantoms in big man's scale? Are you having to adapt and overcome re-scaling littler paperwork?

(Silly me, didn't you show some plans earlier, I'm off back to recap) :(

• Like 1

Hmm, yellow and black stripes first I think, then blue dots on aniseed jelly

No, not the paint job, the Allsorts of first choice tonight

:)

Having the nerve to hack these halves apart, THAT is the kind of nerve - skill - ability that sets you vacformers apart from ordinary oiks like me

I wonder what plans you have got that specifically cover Spey powered Phantoms in big man's scale? Are you having to adapt and overcome re-scaling littler paperwork?

(Silly me, didn't you show some plans earlier, I'm off back to recap) :(

I have numerous diagrams and plans to work from, so all being well I'll be able to recreate a reasonable representation of a Spey Phantom, but only time will tell...

Speaking of which, I've come across a quite major accuracy problem tonight... but more on that in the next update.

Tom

• Like 1

Speaking of which, I've come across a quite major accuracy problem tonight... but more on that in the next update.

Tom

The kit represents a J79 powered version?

I know, I know, me coat is by the door.

Trevor

• Like 1

The kit represents a J79 powered version?

I know, I know, me coat is by the door.

Trevor

Unfortunately, that fact looks like the least of my worries!

Now I am going to sit back (with a couple of black and white tubey ones) and laugh

Tom wrote "I've come across a quite major accuracy problem tonight..."

Yerss, so what? :)

We've just seen you invent a C-17 from the hole in the air the vac formed kit didn't quite occupy

This'll be epic

• Like 2

Me too. Bonkers. 1/48 Super Connie...?

Must. Resist.

It's like being a kid in a sheet shop on their site (link below)

http://combatmodels.us/

I've often contemplated getting the 1/32nd B-26 Marauder, but chances are as soon as I bite the bullet HK will announce one!

Radders - there's a 1/48th Savage, too - what are you waiting for!? ;)

Tom

Hi Tom, congrats on the new arrival btw....Well this looks like a lot of fun, be interesting to see how you get on with it, (Trailblazing the way and all that).... I can see there's going to be a LOT of scratch-building needed with this one, so I'll stock up with plenty of sheet/rod/metal/strip,etc at Telford ! I also have a huge pile of spare resin off-cuts courtesy of Robvulcan so I can see these being used for a lot of it.

With regard to schemes the plan is to go for an early DG/DSG over White scheme or as I mentioned to you I might still go for a mid seventies Bruggen aircraft as I have rather fond memories. Just need to sort out the lighting kit and sound-board with the chaps and it should prove to be an interesting if rather protracted project....look forward to picking it up at SMW, (if you've received it by then of course !).....look forward to progress.

• Like 2

Radders - there's a 1/48th Savage, too - what are you waiting for!? ;)

Tom

Money mate, but once my wedding is out the way (Dec), I shall be ordering a few bits -

1/48th C-46 Commando, Savage, C-119, PB4Y-2 Privateer, P2V Neptune, 1/32nd He-177, A-20 Havoc, want the B-26 Marauder but like you I reckon it'll be out soon in IM..

Anyway, back to a 1/24th F-4.... ;)

• Like 1

Oops, yes, sorry for the inadvertent derailment Tom...

No worries... it made for interesting reading!

I've been busy making a start on the nose section the last couple of evenings, and unfortunately have already run into some quite serious problems. Those who've followed my builds in the past will know I'm not a stickler for accuracy, but I at least like to try and get a reasonable representation of the real aircraft. This nose section, unfortunately wasn't playing ball on this occasion...

With the nose rubbed down properly and placed on the plans, an immediate couple of problems became very clear:

1) The nose section is too deep - approx two scale feet. At first I wondered if the plans were out, so measured the Combat parts against the Hasegawa 1/48th kit, and it turns out the plans were spot on:

22126730471_87207dfdb4_c.jpgIMG_3642 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

2) The lower nose of the real aircraft has a pronounced dip where the radome joins the airframe, just forward of the nose wheel bay - the Combat kit doesn't:

22116832575_66542ba049_c.jpgIMG_3643 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The first task was to reduce the depth of the nose - I placed two strips of tape along its length and removed the area in between. This was made slightly narrower than it needed to be, as it's far easier to sand the excess off than try to add plastic if I'd have cut it in the wrong place:

21928938278_658284917e_c.jpgIMG_3645 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

22126731671_4394d62888_c.jpgIMG_3647 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

These sections were then re-joined, which now gave the nose the correct depth. The short nose cone for the FGR1/2 was then dry-fitted, but the problem with the droop is still apparent:

21928756298_3ff731de54_c.jpgIMG_3649 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

My initial plan was build this up with card inserts and filler...

22116661075_01422e7c20_c.jpgIMG_3650 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

But then an idea struck me - could the other, longer, nose cone for the F-4E be made to work?

22119638446_620af7166f_c.jpgIMG_3658 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The answer was a resounding 'yes', so I sliced the front off of the nose section, and have grafted on the F-4E nose. Now, it follows the correct profile of the real thing perfectly:

21523172124_bdd12324a9_c.jpgIMG_3661 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It's been a lot of work to get to this stage already, but now I'm happy with the shape of the nose I can get on with blending everything in... happy days!

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 12

See?

Told you this man uses the spaces that aren't even moulded to produce wonders

That ain't problem solving Tom, that is problem pulverising

I do love that very sexy profile where the nose dips down, you really have nailed it

Tonight will be pink AND yellow coconut rings ;)

The odd can of Carling too, a dearth of Stella chez perdu this evening

• Like 1

The more that I see of these vacform kits, the more that they seem to appeal to my OCD and with a 1/48 Sanger-Contrail Whitley Mk.V and a Dynavector Gannet, hiding in the stash, I may just have to take the plunge :)

Umm.. Ignore me, I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon, and not in favour of marrying anyone, ever.

Great work on the nose Tom, that dip is part of the Phantom's look, and unless it's there, things don't look right.