1/24th scale RAF F-4 Phantom FGR.2

Wonderful choice of subject Tom. I think we are all in for a treat - and I thank you in advance...

I'd love to see you do an early 70's FGR2 from one of the tactical/strike squadrons in classic grey/green camouflage. But that's a bit of built in 'mud mover' bias, which I really must get over :). I don't know if Radleigh has any inside info re the EDSG scheme? But heck - I'm gonna enjoy it whatever colour the darned thing ends up in........

• Like 1

Tom, I think you're both crazy and brave, it's going to be a monster however, I shall follow your build with great interest. I do hope you've sellected EDSG over White rather than the other rather uninteresting colour scheme?

Colin

Hi Colin,

I'm not 100% set on a scheme yet, but am leaning towards a special scheme. Not RN I'm afraid as decals are non existent for these kits, but hopefully it'll be eye catching enough for you!

Hi Tom,

Congatulations to you and Mrs P. We are also expecting a baby, our second, in March next year. Will this be your first child? Good luck!

I will be following this build with great interest! I love the Phantom and I really like the look of this kit!

Cheers,

Viv

Cheers, Viv. Yes first one for us; can't wait although modelling time may take a hit!

Hi

Watching with interest.

I may be able to help with the references as I have copies of the maintenance manuals for both the FG1 and FGR2. PM me if these would be of use and I'll get them sent over.

Ben

Hi Ben, that's a very kind offer. I'm OK for the moment as I'm planning to start on the cockpit and I have plenty of references for that, but if I need anything in the future I'll be in touch.

Wonderful choice of subject Tom. I think we are all in for a treat - and I thank you in advance...

I'd love to see you do an early 70's FGR2 from one of the tactical/strike squadrons in classic grey/green camouflage. But that's a bit of built in 'mud mover' bias, which I really must get over :). I don't know if Radleigh has any inside info re the EDSG scheme? But heck - I'm gonna enjoy it whatever colour the darned thing ends up in........

Hi Fritag,

As mentioned above, I not committed 100% to a scheme, but I do have a special one in mind if I can source or make the decals. It'll be an RAF FGR.2, but I'll keep it under wraps for the time being if I may ;)

Congrats Tom on the new addition.. I mean baby when its here, not the Phantom....

Looking at the plastic you have there I'd say that the rear end looks more like a Spey engined Phantom than not...

What will you be using for markings/stencils?

Cheers, Bill! We're very much looking forward to the new addition.

I agree that the rear end does look a little deep for a GE powered bird... Which should make my life a little easier!

Decals are going to be a problem, but Dad has the 1/32nd Cutting Edge sheets for multiple Spey Phantoms so I may have a go at enlarging some of those for stencils etc.

Thanks for the interest folks, I'm hoping to cut the first plastic this afternoon so I'll keep you all updated.

Tom

Oh, Tom, if it's not EDSG over White, I might just have to follow another build thread. What other scheme could you possably have in mind??????????????? Remeber it was the Navy who taught the carbs to fly/use the Phantom... But then as a WAFU Imight be a tad biased.

Colin

• Like 2

Not RN I'm afraid as decals are non existent for these kits...

Don't see why that's a problem; after all, you're scratch building pretty much everything else.

Having seen the astonishing monks [Edit: ...which was supposed to say MODELS!] you have entertained us with from the most basic and unpromising of vac-form starts, I am seriously looking forward to watching this one develop (even if you are settling for a paint job other than the One True Scheme!).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

I would have thought that at 1/24 scale using masks for painting the roundels and fin flashes would be the better option.

Gondor

You may well be right, I tend to spray the markings on most of my big 'uns so when the time comes I'll likely go down the same route.

Oh, Tom, if it's not EDSG over White, I might just have to follow another build thread. What other scheme could you possably have in mind??????????????? Remeber it was the Navy who taught the carbs to fly/use the Phantom... But then as a WAFU Imight be a tad biased.

Colin

Fear not, Colin! It may still end up as a Navy example. However, the RAF did some fantastic special schemes and some were very bright and eye catching... I haven't got to make my mind up just yet, but once I'm working on the cockpit I will have had to have made a decision, such as whether it's going to be a twin-sticker or not.

Don't see why that's a problem; after all, you're scratch building pretty much everything else.

Having seen the astonishing monks you have entertained us with from the most basic and unpromising of vac-form starts, I am seriously looking forward to watching this one develop (even if you are settling for a paint job other than a the One True Scheme!).

Decals are always a headache on these builds, and most of the time it's a case of painting on my own. As said earlier in the thread I do have access to the Cutting Edge 1/32nd sheet which could be scaled up, or at the least used as a guide to create masks etc. We'll see!

I've had a productive afternoon on the kit so all being well there'll be a first constructuon update later today or tomorrow.

Ta-ra for now,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Hi Tom,

Well, you don't do things by halves, do you?!

Firstly, my warmest congratulations on your imminent arrival. What great news!! I'm absolutely certain that, after probably many months of preparation, planning, getting things organised, decorating and all the other stuff that comes along with such a wonderful addition to your household, that both you and your wife will be delighted when the Phantom finally gets pride of place in your home.

Oh, congrats on becoming a Dad too... ;)

See you at Telford?

• Like 4

Congratulations on the new addition, having seen some of your previous stunning (and ridiculously huge) builds. I have to ask....where the heck do you keep them? Do you live in an aircraft hanger? Cant wait to see it finished...

Rich

• Like 1

You may well be right, I tend to spray the markings on most of my big 'uns so when the time comes I'll likely go down the same route.

Fear not, Colin! It may still end up as a Navy example. However, the RAF did some fantastic special schemes and some were very bright and eye catching... I haven't got to make my mind up just yet, but once I'm working on the cockpit I will have had to have made a decision, such as whether it's going to be a twin-sticker or not.

Decals are always a headache on these builds, and most of the time it's a case of painting on my own. As said earlier in the thread I do have access to the Cutting Edge 1/32nd sheet which could be scaled up, or at the least used as a guide to create masks etc. We'll see!

I've had a productive afternoon on the kit so all being well there'll be a first constructuon update later today or tomorrow.

Ta-ra for now,

Tom

Well , the Allcock & Browne scheme's XV424, had little in the way of stencil's....as indeed did, (or should that be didn't?) the two all blue FGR2's of 19 & 92 Sqn...and the Tremblers Black Mike.... Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

First off, Congratulations to you both on you new arrival.

Now, I'm sitting here in my comfy armchair, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bring on the entertainment!

Best of luck with this one Tom, even if it's only 50% as good as your Globemaster it'll still be a stunner, But deep down I know it will be 110% as usual.

I can't wait.

• Like 1

Never one to do things by half huh Tom

Whatta guy

New baby AND new Phantom, this has to be a momentous year at chez Probert, best of luck with both ;)

(did the new dad thing over forty eight years ago, still suffering for it :) )

This is NOT going to be a popcorn special, for this fabulous (and momentous) occasion I am shipping in boxloads of liquorice allsorts

I'm going to get some REAL sustenance going

go Tom go

• Like 1

In an age of 'Wonderkits', the very fact you are willing to even take this out of the box much less spend time and energy actually building it, elevates you to complete model making Kudos. I am fascinated what you will do with this!

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Well, you don't do things by halves, do you?!

Firstly, my warmest congratulations on your imminent arrival. What great news!! I'm absolutely certain that, after probably many months of preparation, planning, getting things organised, decorating and all the other stuff that comes along with such a wonderful addition to your household, that both you and your wife will be delighted when the Phantom finally gets pride of place in your home.

Oh, congrats on becoming a Dad too... ;)

See you at Telford?

Showed the wife this... a raised eyebrow and a wry smile was the result! Better than I expected to be honest ;)

Congratulations on the new addition, having seen some of your previous stunning (and ridiculously huge) builds. I have to ask....where the heck do you keep them? Do you live in an aircraft hanger? Cant wait to see it finished...

Rich

They all live in the attic - although room is rapidly running out. At least the wing span isn't too great on this one!

Well , the Allcock & Browne scheme's XV424, had little in the way of stencil's....as indeed did, (or should that be didn't?) the two all blue FGR2's of 19 & 92 Sqn...and the Tremblers Black Mike....

You're on the right lines, Bill. I'll say no more for now, just in case things don't pan out as anticipated!

Have you seen this Tom, linked on LSP in the F4K/M Hong Kong models thread.....

http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html

Yes, I have this in my 'favourites' - but many thanks.

Well?? Where are the 'In Progress' shots and commentary? I can't wait... :popcorn:

I was at dinner with the in-laws last night, and didn't return home until well after bed-time... I'll add some pictures tonight, promise! :)

As promised, a first pictorial update...

Many people are put off vacforms by the cutting out and sanding process. I've developed my own method over the years, which I've found works really well for me and keeps the sanding of parts to the absolute minimum, which admittedly is the most tedious and messy part of vacform modelling.

Step 1: With a sharp blade, score around the part you wish to remove at roughly a 45 degree angle. When you're almost through the plastic, stop:

21489999044_a144b8a89d_c.jpgDSC_0041 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 2: With the part thoroughly scored simply break away the carrier sheet, and this only leaves a very small amount of sanding required to neaten the edges:

21924639330_88135de0d7_c.jpgDSC_0043 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

To remove both fuselage halves took no more than 10 minutes.

With the fuselage halves removed from the backing plastic, suddenly you have something that resembles a Phantom:

21924631020_af189ccfde_c.jpgDSC_0045 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21925921159_3ca58d7600_c.jpgDSC_0047 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21924653790_ef27e708d8_c.jpgDSC_0049 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The parts actually fit together well, and with the joins lined with plastic tabs and some internal bulkheads, I don't think it's going to cause too many issues.

With a model this size, I figured it far easier to work on smaller sections of the fuselage. This way, I can concentrate on each section, and then bring them back together when the time comes in due course. So, it was out with the saw and a few minutes later we have three subsections: the nose which will need the most work as the cockpit is going to be scratch-built, the centre-section which will need a fair bit of work to widen and fatten to represent a Spey powered F-4 FGR.2, and finally the extreme tail area that will, all being well, not need quite so much work (let's hope that doesn't come back to haunt me!):

21489993304_d8427c256e_c.jpgDSC_0051 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21925899029_13c0b37994_c.jpgDSC_0053 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So here is where the next few weeks/months are going to be spent: the nose:

21925924959_bc31036eac_c.jpgDSC_0054 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

22123312221_be0450ca1e_c.jpgDSC_0057 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now my task is to start building up the cockpit and nose-gear bay... stay tuned!

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 10