1/24th scale RAF F-4 Phantom FGR.2

While you're at it, that rear cockpit will need some pretty severe renovations, given that RAF Phantoms used something very similar to the USN rear cockpit which had very little in the way of side consoles.

Right sidewall:

RearCockpitStbdSdwall.jpg

Left sidewall:

cfc9152f42d0c92814057c49e60096f9.jpg

• Like 3

Tom,

Those few photo's just do not do justice to the amount of work that must have gone into that interior structure.

My mind is slightly boggled at the amount of research and thinking; the sheer number of decisions you had to make - and the quantity of, not to mention accuracy of, measuring and cutting.

It a modelling tour de force within a modelling tour de force nonchalantly presented as bit of an update :)

They do say that a quality of genius is to make things look easy.........

Steve

Many thanks for the kind words, Steve.

It's no where near as hard as it may seem - it's just a case of measuring thrice and cutting once! I always make a practice run in old scrap cardboard first, as it's far more economical to make mistakes with that than plastic card... having a good set of plans always helps too of course.

While you're at it, that rear cockpit will need some pretty severe renovations, given that RAF Phantoms used something very similar to the USN rear cockpit which had very little in the way of side consoles.

Indeed you're right, Jess. I just wanted to get the basic structure there for strength and integrity, and now the fun part of detailing it all can start. The rear sidewalls protrude a lot further into the cockpit than the front section, so this will all be built up in time. Thanks for the photos too - most helpful!

Nice progress Tom. looks like a lot of fun !...anything arrived yet ?

Not yet - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an arrival before Telford so I can bring your's and Radleigh's package along. It was posted about a week ago, so I guess will depend on whether it's coming via air or sea. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives - fear not!

Looking mighty fine, as you got the week off Tom, you should be able to get it finished by the end of the week.

I wish, Kev! I am making the most of half term, but have also been beavering away on other projects too. With builds such as this I tend to have a sudden burst of activity, then put it down for a while whilst I contemplate how to get over the next hurdle.

I can't even begin to think about the amount of reference material you must need to this in this scale...

Ian

Luckily I have a fair bit - and kind folks on here also help with additional pictures and references etc. I have numerous books, plans and pictures of the real aircraft to work from, but you can never have enough.

Inspiring work.

I found these cockpit shots lurking in my Photobucket account of the RAFM FGR.2. I hope they are useful.

Trevor

Very useful, Trevor. Many thanks :)

• Like 1

I was going to post up some photos, I'm sure I have some hidden away deep in the hard drive of the same Hendon Phantom... but no need now, some good photos posted. :)

Andy, I'm also waiting eagerly... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this thread...watching with great interest...

Unfortunately it's ground to a juddering halt of late - I'm snowed under with marking exams and writing school reports. It's such a pain when life gets in the way!

Oh... and the small issue of being distracted by the new Airfix Shackelton and any bench time is currently being devoted to that.

Tom

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Hi Tom! What has happened with nice nice built?

RGDS

Juan

Evening Juan.

As Darth Vader explained, I've been side tracked by another project.

The Phantom is currently boxed up and is in storage, but be reassured it's not forgotten. I've done a little more to the cockpit interior since the last update, but nothing really worthy of photographing.

There'll be a time in the not too distant future that I'll get it out again and get going on it.

Tom

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, CE1 said:

Holy thread revival! Did this ever get going again?

It’s still boxed up and in storage I’m afraid to say. I do get it out periodically and have a fondle but I’ve got so many other big projects on the go it’s taken a back seat. I will get back to it one day!

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And there was I getting all excited that Tom had re-opened it. 

Fair question, though (like I can talk…)

Patience, young man! It will get its turn again one day…

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

I think Tom decided to have kids as it would be easier! The things people do to procrastinate 🤣

Too right! I’ve got two of the little blighters now and I must say having them is a breeze compared to wrestling with a Combat kit 😆

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Tom! Expanding families do take their toll on our hobby! But with mine all grown up and with two year's of inactivity due to C-19, I should have at least made a better effort in getting a few kits into the display cases! I'm still waiting for this to be finished though, so do hurry up! ;)

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Too right! I’ve got two of the little blighters now and I must say having them is a breeze compared to wrestling with a Combat kit 😆

when I read that I thought you were talking about vac F-4’s at first :D

You wouldn’t be without them though