1/24th scale RAF F-4 Phantom FGR.2

With all the recent talk of new 1/32nd British Phantoms on the horizon from HK Models, it got me thinking... 1/32nd scale is too small!

So... here's a 1/24th scale rendition for you...

I've gone for the Combat Models vacform, which I ordered in from the good old USA. The kit is somewhat basic (as with all Combat kits) but claims to provide the parts for every variant of F-4 built.

The base kit looks like you can either build an F-4B or a F-4E, but I've decided to make life even more difficult for myself and being a patriotic Englishman, decided it'd be criminal not to have a go at a Rolls-Royce Spey powered variant.

With the kit being not a lot more than basic shapes, converting it to a British version shouldn't be too challenging; after all about 75% of this build will have to be made from scratch anyway.

So here's what you get:

A large box crammed full of vacformed parts, and some comprehensive plans for the F-4B and F-4E variants:

22083075761_cb82453d6f_c.jpgDSC_0005 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here's the fuselage, moulded in reasonably smooth but rather thin white plastic. The tape measure is set at 3ft - she's going to be a big girl:

22046892666_f92f64aab7_c.jpgDSC_0011 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here's one fuselage half alongside the 1/48th Hasegawa kit that I'll be using as a guide throughout the build:

21885202078_027c7b2499_c.jpgDSC_0038 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The quality of the mouldings isn't too bad at all, although it's devoid of all surface detail. This isn't a bad thing however, as I like to add my own anyway:

21451926053_b55d1f74da_c.jpgDSC_0013 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here's the wings, tanks, fins, stabilisers, pylons etc:

21451922833_50f2a4646e_c.jpgDSC_0016 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Jet pipes, although these won't be used for a Spey version:

21884873190_6bcaff3274_c.jpgDSC_0018 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Intakes, splitter plates, gun pack two different nose cones, etc:

21886157649_a08bfdaab6_c.jpgDSC_0024 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The cockpit tub is somewhat... basic:

21451915943_1b4b18b101_c.jpgDSC_0020 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Two beautifully clear canopies are provided, which is very handy in case of the dreaded knife-slip:

22083053051_876851fa30_c.jpgDSC_0027 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The kit also comes with a resin 'detail set' which provided some basics for the cockpits, landing gear, ejector seats, missiles etc... how useful these will be remains to be seen:

21886192149_116d5fa100_c.jpgDSC_0035 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

22083096311_62d4296b41_c.jpgDSC_0033 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've started to gather some resources together, which includes a few books, some basic additional plans for the Spey aircraft, as well as the aforementioned 1/48th Hasegawa 1/48th FGR2 kit to use as a guide:

22046900386_33b46de345_c.jpgDSC_0002 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So... all that's left to do now is take a deep breath and dive on in!

Until next time,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 17

You certainly are a gluten for punishment, but will look great when its finished

Same could be said about you, Kev! But as you and I well know, vacforms are the best form of modelling! ;)

This is going to be worth watching big time ! !

Remember Tom all we want is regular progress reports, weekly will do because

You don't want to feel the dark side of the force.

I'll do my best to keep the updates as regular as I can, but from experience it'll be a case of picking up and putting down a project like this when the mood takes. I reckon I've got at least a year's worth of work ahead of me, but with it being ever busier at work and a little 'un on the way things may slow down considerably when he/she is due to arrive in February. However, the wife understands my needs... ;)

Tom

Glad to see a thread but it's not going to be a quick job! Will be great watching it unfold though over a long period.. the end result will be nothing short of superb. The resin 1/24th Bucc I have is 2.5ft long roughly and that's BIG so to have another 6-7" on top of that is laughable lol! But needs must and all that........................ ;)

Looking forward to picking up my Mars...I learnt a lot off the C-17 thread and will do also off this.... :)

Skip full of popcorn at the ready!

• Like 1

Same could be said about you, Kev! But as you and I well know, vacforms are the best form of modelling! ;)

I have always had an aversion to vacforms due to a terrible problem I had with an old two seat conversion for a Lightning but now after working on a P.1121 I strongly dislike them but realise that I can build them if I take a lot of time and put in a ton of effort.

Best of luck with your build, especially as your converting it to a UK version. Talking of which. Nearly all of the resin detail parts for the cockpit will be useful.

Gondor

I have always had an aversion to vacforms due to a terrible problem I had with an old two seat conversion for a Lightning but now after working on a P.1121 I strongly dislike them but realise that I can build them if I take a lot of time and put in a ton of effort.

Best of luck with your build, especially as your converting it to a UK version. Talking of which. Nearly all of the resin detail parts for the cockpit will be useful.

Gondor

Vacs are certainly an acquired taste, but as you say with some hard graft and effort they can make stunning, and rare, models. I can understand why they're not everyone's cup of tea, though!

Regarding the cockpit - I'd resigned myself to scratch-building it anyway so the only use for the kit parts will be useful templates!

Tom

Tom, I think you're both crazy and brave, it's going to be a monster however, I shall follow your build with great interest. I do hope you've sellected EDSG over White rather than the other rather uninteresting colour scheme?

Colin

• Like 1

Tom, I think you're both crazy and brave, it's going to be a monster however, I shall follow your build with great interest. I do hope you've sellected EDSG over White rather than the other rather uninteresting colour scheme?

Colin

I don't think you'll be disappointed....... ;)

Hi Tom,

Congatulations to you and Mrs P. We are also expecting a baby, our second, in March next year. Will this be your first child? Good luck!

I will be following this build with great interest! I love the Phantom and I really like the look of this kit!

Cheers,

Viv

Edited by Ace From Outer Space

Hi

Watching with interest.

I may be able to help with the references as I have copies of the maintenance manuals for both the FG1 and FGR2. PM me if these would be of use and I'll get them sent over.

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1